macilaci

Citizenship

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

I applied for CR-1 visa for my wife, what is a conditional visa (green card) for 2-years! After we can apply for the Permanent Resident Card for her, but here is my question! When she can apply for citizenship? As the wife of an American citizen are 3-years in my knowledge. But I’m confused in this case; I have to wait 2-years with the CR-1 and then 1 more year before citizenship or what??? Anyone have the answer out there??? Thank you guys!

If you have been married less than 2 years, you will receive a CR-1 visa. You will receive a 2 year greencard which is conditional. 90 days before the expiration of the greencard, you have to file to have the conditions removed. Once this has been completed, you will then receive the 10 year greencard. 3 years after this, you can start the paperwork to become a citizen.

Edited to add: You will be waiting 5 years total to file the citizenship papers.

Edited by Eresh

3dflagsdotcom_roman_2faws.gifaheart2.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif

Our CR-1 Timeline

Feb 20, 2010 ~ We will file to remove conditions

Filed: Timeline
If you have been married less than 2 years, you will receive a CR-1 visa. You will receive a 2 year greencard which is conditional. 90 days before the expiration of the greencard, you have to file to have the conditions removed. Once this has been completed, you will then receive the 10 year greencard. 3 years after this, you can start the paperwork to become a citizen.

Edited to add: You will be waiting 5 years total to file the citizenship papers.

Sorry but the above info is wrong.....

You can apply for Citizenship 3 years from the date you were approved for Permanent Residency... so if you came on a CR1 it would be 3 years from the date you entered the US.... it has nothing to do with conditional residency or not.....

You can apply for the Citizenship 90 days before the 3 year date....

See here for full info.... http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

Kez

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeppers, Niagaenola is correct.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You can apply for Citizenship 3 years from the date you were approved for Permanent Residency... so if you came on a CR1 it would be 3 years from the date you entered the US.... it has nothing to do with conditional residency or not.....

Kez

for cr1 it is 3 years from the date you entered the US. What about K1. when do they get permanent residency and citizenship?

Thanks

Kez

for cr1 it is 3 years from the date you entered the US. What about K1. when do they get permanent residency and citizenship?

Thanks

You can apply for USC 90 days before 3 years as long as you didn't spent excessive time abroad.

They go by the date your original GC was issued.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

So we can decide by the date when the GC was issued.

Is there any difference in getting the GC (between cr1 and k1)?

which one is sooner cr1 or k1?

what is the procedure to get GC for cr1 and for k1?

sorry I have too many questions

Thanks in advance

Timeline

Kez

Thank you for all your help Niagaenola!

Timeline

Thanks in advance

Pluses and minuses regarding CR1 and K1 visa!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=compare

Thanks in advance

Get the facts straight! CR1 is already a green card! It is valid for 2 years and needs to be renewed 90 days prior to it's expiry. The next card that you get is also a green card which is valid for 10 years and needs to be renewed 90 days before it expires (but of course you will want to become a citizen before that).

K1 is a non-immigrant visa valid for fiances who come to the US to get married within 90 days of entry. After marriage they can immediately apply for green card which will also be a CR1. It needs renewal after 2 years (90 days prior to expiry). K3 is for couples already married who enter the US as non-immigrants while their immigrant petitions are pending. They get there CR1 when the immigrant visa has been processed and go through the same renewal and citizenship process as the others.

Any permanent resident (IR1 or CR1) who is married to a US citizen and got the green card through the citizen spouse can apply for citizenship at the end of 3 years stay within the US (CR1 will be a IR1 by then!).

Hope this clears things!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I applied for CR-1 visa for my wife, what is a conditional visa (green card) for 2-years! After we can apply for the Permanent Resident Card for her, but here is my question! When she can apply for citizenship? As the wife of an American citizen are 3-years in my knowledge. But I’m confused in this case; I have to wait 2-years with the CR-1 and then 1 more year before citizenship or what??? Anyone have the answer out there??? Thank you guys!

She's eligible to apply for Citizenship after three years as a permanent resident. Lifting conditions is not the same thing as Citizenship.

For a CR1 visa holder, the three year clock starts when they enter the US using the visa. There are some specific requirements of residence, in that time outside the US doesn't count toward the three years, unless with their spouse on military deployment.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

She's eligible to apply for Citizenship after three years as a permanent resident. Lifting conditions is not the same thing as Citizenship.

For a CR1 visa holder, the three year clock starts when they enter the US using the visa. There are some specific requirements of residence, in that time outside the US doesn't count toward the three years, unless with their spouse on military deployment.

Yo Pushbrk!

Doesn't the 3 year clock begin for CR-1/IRs from the date on the GC and not when they enter the US or are they the same date?

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Doesn't the 3 year clock begin for CR-1/IRs from the date on the GC and not when they enter the US or are they the same date?

I have the same question.

They enter with permanent resident status so are permanent residents as of the entry date. It is my understanding the effective date on the green card is the entry date. I cannot confirm that with direct experience.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Ivaiting, not exactly. CR1 is a visa that permits entry to the US, and a green card a Permanent Resident Card (form I-551). When a K3 visa holder adjusts status, they get a 2 year conditional green card (form I-551), and not a CR1 visa. Same with the K1, they get a 2 year conditional green card, not a CR1 visa.

A CR1 visa holder that enters the US on that CR1 is considered a permanent resident upon arrival, but will get an actual 2 year conditional green card (form I-551) in the mail shortly after entry.

Thanks in advance

Get the facts straight! CR1 is already a green card! It is valid for 2 years and needs to be renewed 90 days prior to it's expiry. The next card that you get is also a green card which is valid for 10 years and needs to be renewed 90 days before it expires (but of course you will want to become a citizen before that).

K1 is a non-immigrant visa valid for fiances who come to the US to get married within 90 days of entry. After marriage they can immediately apply for green card which will also be a CR1. It needs renewal after 2 years (90 days prior to expiry). K3 is for couples already married who enter the US as non-immigrants while their immigrant petitions are pending. They get there CR1 when the immigrant visa has been processed and go through the same renewal and citizenship process as the others.

Any permanent resident (IR1 or CR1) who is married to a US citizen and got the green card through the citizen spouse can apply for citizenship at the end of 3 years stay within the US (CR1 will be a IR1 by then!).

Hope this clears things!

Edited by Urge To Race

03/12/2007 - Married to my beautiful wife

04/16/2007 - Sent I-130 to VSC via USPS Express Mail

05/12/2007 - NOA1 received by snail mail after a loooong wait

05/14/2007 - Sent I-129F for K3 to Chicago Lockbox via USPS Express Mail

10/22/2007 - I129F APPROVED (161 days), I130 APPROVED (188 days)

11/08/2007 - I129F received at NVC, embassy case number generated.

11/13/2007 - I129F forwarded to embassy.

11/18/2007 - 129F petition received at embassy

01/09/2008 - finally, DOS gives me the interview date, April 16, 2007 (ouch)

01/23/2008 - never got packet 4, emailed embassy

04/11/2008 - picked up packet 4, did medical

04/14/2008 - medical report pickup, no problems

04/16/2008 - interview date- APPROVED!!!!!

04/18/2008 - both of us are home at last, POE JFK!

05/21/2008 - sent AOS and EAD

05/27/2008 - received NOA1 for AOS and for EAD

06/02/2008 - received Biometrics appt letter

06/19/2008 - Biometrics appointment scheduled - DONE

06/19/2008 - both AOS and EAD touched because of biometrics

07/29/2008 - EAD approved.

05/13/2009 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!/ Card production ordered email

05/18/2009 - Welcome Letter received

06/12/2009 - Second card production ordered email

06/19/2009 - Approval notice send email

06/22/2009 - Green Card received

04/09/2012 - Applied for Citizenship by Express Mailing N400 to NBC

04/10/2012 - N400 received by USCIS

06/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/27/2012 - Appointment scheduled for N400 interview

09/05/2012 - Interview passed, oath ceremony completed, and Naturalization certificate received.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.