fedekat

Experiences opening a bank account?

23 posts in this topic

My fiance (husband in 3 day) needs to open a bank account. He has a SSN, what other requirments have people run into when opening an account? I use citibank, but are there other banks more willing to open accounts for Non USC?

Thanks!

K1 TIMELINE

2/24 Sent I 129f to VSC

3/2 Check cashed

3/6 NOA2

3/27 Packet 3 arrives

6/19 Interview- APPROVED K1 visa

8/3 Fede arrives in JFK, gets work authorization stamp

AOS/EAD/AP TIMELINE

9/24 NVC recieves AOS/AP/EAD package

9/28 Check cashed

10/03 NOA1 for EAD, AP

10/07 NOA1 for AOS

10/07 Biometrics letter

10/22 Biometrics appointment

10/23 Receive ADVANCED PAROLE

10/25 EAD card production ordered

11/02 EAD card mailed

11/05 EAD card recieved

11/16 Case transfered to CSC

12/10 RFE for I-693

1/14 Contact local Representative for help

2/6 Mail RFE letter stating we didn't send in medical per instructions of AOS for K1 because medical was done less than a year ago (We didn't think we would ever hear from our Congressman at this point)

2/13 Response (finally!) from Rep's office saying USCIS does not have the medical report

2/13 Decide to re-do medical :( another $300 spent in the name of sweet love

3/14 Letter of intent to deny with clear explanation of why.... medical didn't have TB skin test!

3/21/08 Green Card printed

4/1 Receive Green Card!

I-751TIMELINE

1/05/2010- Working on 751 packet

2/24/10 "Your item was delivered at 11:10 AM on February 24, 2010 in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479."

3/5/10 Received NOA dated 2/25/10. Check not cashed yet.

3/17/10 I wrote the date on the check as 2009!!! I had to resend entire package with a new check. :(

3/21/2010- 2 year green card expires

4/23/10 Biometrics Appointment

7/12/10 ROC APPROVED!! Card production ordered for a Lawful Permanent Resident card. (We were not interviewed.)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
My fiance (husband in 3 day) needs to open a bank account. He has a SSN, what other requirments have people run into when opening an account? I use citibank, but are there other banks more willing to open accounts for Non USC?

Thanks!

There are millions of non-USC's that have bank accounts, the majority of these people are called legal permanent reseidents... I think your question might be better framed if you said "open accounts for individuals who have only recently arrived and are not yet permanent residents"

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Good luck to ya. Its been quite an adventure for us. Regions bank (aka Amsouth) basically refused to add my hubby to my existing account unless offering them our first born (not literally but you get my meaning). He has an SSN but apparently because he doesn't have (and cannot yet get) a TN driver's license, he's screwed. Unless he wants to give a blood sample or whatever the f. :lol: AVOID Regions like the plague.

My application to Bank of America got routed to California :lol: and now today they tell me my hubby needs to call them to 'confirm' some information. I suspect they are going to reject him, too, but hopefully not (as others here have had success with BOA). I'm going to call hubby in a few mins and see what they told him.

I know many have had success with WAMU and Wachovia - which will likely be the next ones I consider if BOA kicks us into touch.

Who knew legal immigrants could be made out to be common criminals by something so simple as adding one to an existing (USC's) bank account?

SA4userbar.jpg

Claudeth was allowed to open a savings account with her EAD and California I.D. but couldn't open a checking account until she received her green card.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Not a problem, most banks want SSN from a person opening an account or for adding a person to an already existing account. We had no problems doing this.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

OK so all BOA wanted from my husband was to confirm his address, DOB and give them his email address. Apparently our accounts will be processed in 24-48 hours. :)

So BOA does (so far!) seem legal immigrant friendly. :)

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I opened a checking account with Washington Mutual before I got a SSN. If you go into a branch they are likely to let you open an account...... online is not possible.

The only thing I couldn't do was access telephone banking or internet banking.

Try a Washington mutual if there's one near you. :)

There was a hiccup with our BoA application. It turns out that we HAVE to be physically go to a branch.

Having said that, that's exactly what we did. We took my SS#, my UK passport and driving license which they used, and loads of other stuff just in case. What was handy was the fact that the lady processing it for us was herself in on a K1 visa from Canada. She said there should be no problem and there wasn't. We were accepted on the spot, checks and cards applied for with online and telephone banking all in.

My advice, take all your ID INTO a branch of Bank of America and you should be fine.

prestoportaitww0.jpg

My Timeline is the same as TracyTN

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I was able to add my wife to non-interest bearing checking accounts at Bank of Oklahoma when I lived there. We couldn't figure out how to add her to the interest-bearing accounts. That requires a W-9 or some such.

FirstBank here in the Denver area understands the issue better and I was able to set up both joint checking and savings accounts. My SSN was all that is needed for tax purposes. She doesn't even have a TIN yet. (The IRS rejected the application I made when I did my taxes last year due to a glitch in documents.) There is an IRS form though that allows her to be added to accounts even though she doesn't have a SSN or TIN.

Banks in neighborhoods with lots of students (at a University that has plenty of foreign students) seems a likely place for you to hunt for immigrant-friendly banking services.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Lots of people who are here on a visa and don't even plan on becoming neither permanent residents nor citizens have bank accounts. I opened a checking and a savings at Wells Fargo two days after I arrived here with an F-1 visa. I had no issues whatsoever, and no one asked me for a SSN or a driver's license.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Yup, Wells Fargo is the one to go to. Even if you don't have a SSN, they will still give you a checking account with online banking and everything. Plus you will be able to easily transfer money from the accounts in your home country.

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

Claudeth could only open a savings account until she received something from the USCIS, like her EAD then she was allowed to expand to checking.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I opened a free checking account with Visa debit card, with just my SSN, at Wachovia.

I opened the account over the phone, she gave the account number at that time and I received the card a week later.

No credit checks and no minimum balance.

06.05.07 Entered US

06.24.07 Married!!!! xxxxxxx

07.23.07 Sent off AOS/EAD Express Mail

07.24.07 Email notification that package received!!!! (Day 1)

08.08.07 Money Orders Cashed (Day 16)

08.13.08 Biometrics letter rec. Still no NOA1 (Day 21)

08.27.07 RFE for tax transcript (sent already!!)

08.28.07 NOA1 date, received 09.02.07

09.04.07 Biometrics for AOS & EAD (Day 43)

09.18.07 RFE received by USCIS. Processing resumed.(Day 57)

10.04.07 Card Production ordered EAD..Woohoo!!!! (73 Days)

10.15.07 EAD card delivered in post as well as Approval email

10.15.07 Email to say Im on my way to California!

11.29.07 Card production ordered, still waiting for daughters!

12.04.07 received Green card in post!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I had no problem in 2004 with either Wachovia or Wells Fargo without a SSN at the time (I now have one). I would highly recommend either.

:D

AOS Timeline

April 18, 2008 Civil Wedding at the courthouse

April 25. 2008 AOS packet sent to Chicago

April 29, 2008 AOS packet delivered

May 5, 2008 Receipt date for I-485, I-765 & I-131

May 9, 2008 NOA's & Biometrics Appointment letter received

May 28, 2008 Biometrics appointment

June 6, 2008 Case transferred to CSC

July 8, 2008 AP Approved

July 14, 2008 EAD Approved

October 10, 2008 I-485 Approved

October 14, 2008 Green card received

I-129F Timeline

Sept 13, 2007 I-129F sent to VSC

Sept 15, 2007 I-129F received at VSC at 2:32pm

Sept 17, 2007 NOA1 Receipt

Jan 25, 2008 NOA2 Receipt

Jan 31, 2008 NVC received approved petition from USCIS, VT

Feb 4, 2008 NVC letter received with new case number & Petition forwarded to San Jose, Costa Rica

Feb 7, 2008 DHL package signed for by R MORA at San Jose Embassy

Mar 5, 2008 Picked up packet & scheduled interview for Mar 14th

Mar 7, 2008 Blood work & Xray medicals complete

Mar 10, 2008 Physical & vaccinations complete

Mar 14, 2008 Interview - receive 221(g) for missing Single certificate for Costa Rica

Mar 26, 2008 Pick up completed Single Cert from the Registro Civil & deliver to Embassy

Apr 2, 2008 Deliver Australian Single status cert to Embassy

Apr 8, 2008 Approved!! Visa in hand same day :)

OK so all BOA wanted from my husband was to confirm his address, DOB and give them his email address. Apparently our accounts will be processed in 24-48 hours. :)

So BOA does (so far!) seem legal immigrant friendly. :)

Yup. That's who we went with when my credit union demanded proof of the marriage in order to add C. to my account. BoA just accepted his K-1 with NO SSN at all. I think it helped that we were at a branch near a university where they're used to students & student international spouses.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.