lisakopavi

Passport for petitioner

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a U.S. citizen and I plan on attending the interview in Montreal with my Canadian fiancee. I don't currently have a passport, do I need one to enter the Embassy (Consulate)?

AOS Timeline

01-02-2008 - AOS Sent

01-04-2008 - Received Date

01-08-2008 - Notice Date I-797C

01-16-2008 - Received NOA for Biometrics appointment

01-30-2008 - Biometrics appointment

02-15-2008 - Received NOA Request for applicant to appear for initial interview Form I-485, Notice Date - Feb.8,2008

03-04-2008 - Received EAD for both myself and my son.........:)

03-04-2008 - Received AP for both myself and my son.......:)

05-07-2008 - Interview for I-485

05-07-2008 - Request for additional medical for myself. I was pregnant for the first medical and couldn't get xrays for the TB test. I also needed mumps measles and rubella shot at the time and couldn't get until after the pregnancy.

05-23-2008 - Medical approved and sent to USCIS.

06-03-2008 - I-797 Notice of Action . Welcome notice. Application for permanent residence approved...:)!!

06-06-2008 - Greencards received....YEAH!! Happy Dance!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I'm not 100% sure. But I think you do. Since Jan. 2007, passports were required for travel to Canada and Mexico; which is why there was such a surge & backlog in passport processing.

I'm not 100% sure. But I think you do. Since Jan. 2007, passports were required for travel to Canada and Mexico; which is why there was such a surge & backlog in passport processing.

Actually, Air only until january of 2008. But the air rule has kinda been suspended as long as you shown that you have applied for a passport.

I dont know about a passport to get in, but I wouldn't be surprised if they asked you to show it.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can email the Montreal consulate and ask.

Do you already have an interview date?

I myself don't think you'd need one. Not when you can travel across with just your D.L and your B.C.

That wouldn't make much sense *shrug*

You can post the question in the Canada Forum, I'm sure someone there will know for sure.

Edited by Tinker

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

I know when my fiance and I went to our interview at the Vancouver consulate, they asked to see his passport for ID purposes.

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

You should get one since even if you do not need it now eventually you will need a passport for travel to Canada.

The passport backlog has recently been reported to have cleared out so you might still have time to obtain one before the interview. I also think they have an option of paying for expedited procesing.

My Timeline:

7/27/07 VSC rcvd I-129F--8/7/07 NOA1 issued--12/12/07 NOA2 issued--12/27/07 Pkg 3 returned--2/29/08 Interview & Approval--4/1/08 POE--6/27/08 Married--6/27/08-6/5/09 Trying to figure out how to make this work--6/11/09 Submitted AOS forms--6/19/09 NOA's issued--7/21 Biometrics--7/27 Rcvd 2 of 3 Interview appt letters for 8/24--8/3 Rcvd 3rd interview appt letter for 8/28--8/5 Used infopass appt to consolidate interviews on 8/28--8/6/09 Rcvd email notification of AP & EAD approvals--8/11&12 Rcvd AP's in mail--8/14 Rcvd 1st EAD card in mail.--8/23/11 Mailed ROC Pkg.--8/24/11 NOA--10/5/11 Biometrics

My Favorite Links & Threads:

CSC & VSC K1 & K3 Recent approvals

Colombia Club Part 1 & Colombia Club Part 2

RFE List Learn from others' mistakes.

Red Flags Learn what to try to avoid or prepare to discuss and explain during interview.

HUSKERKIEV Thread Great insider tips from a former adjudicator at the Nebraska Service Center.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If you're in any country and wish to enter an American Embassy or Consulate, you must first show identity in the form of a passport.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
If you're in any country and wish to enter an American Embassy or Consulate, you must first show identity in the form of a passport.

Not true. Perhaps it is in their guidelines, I don't know - however I went to the Calgary Consulate at least 4 times and never once showed my passport (and neither did my Mother or my Husband who went with me at different times).

Furthermore - it would be really tough to show your passport at the Consulate/Embassy if you were applying for a Passport.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Not true. Perhaps it is in their guidelines, I don't know - however I went to the Calgary Consulate at least 4 times and never once showed my passport (and neither did my Mother or my Husband who went with me at different times).

Furthermore - it would be really tough to show your passport at the Consulate/Embassy if you were applying for a Passport.

Hmmm... I thought that you were only permitted inside without a passport if you've lost it or for other emergencies. If you can enter a U.S. consulate in canada casually, without one....that's news to me. And I'm sorry for giving bad info. I'm only speaking from my experience in approx. 5 European US consulates.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Hmmm... I thought that you were only permitted inside without a passport if you've lost it or for other emergencies. If you can enter a U.S. consulate in canada casually, without one....that's news to me. And I'm sorry for giving bad info. I'm only speaking from my experience in approx. 5 European US consulates.

Sasha's info I believe is true anywhere else in the world except Canada. My Guess, Soon it'll be implemented in US consulates in Canada too.

Sasha's info I believe is true anywhere else in the world except Canada. My Guess, Soon it'll be implemented in US consulates in Canada too.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that you can enter a US consulate in Canada casually. As I mentioned previously, both myself and my fiance were asked to present our passports at the entrance to the Vancouver consulate. I'm sure that in lieu of a passport one would be expected to present other government-issued ID.

Is there a documented source that says that a passport is required for admittance into a US consulate? All we've discussed so far are counterpoint experiences which may not necessarily be standard throughout all consulates.

Personally, I'd recommend to the OP that he send an email to the MTL consulate and see what they say.

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I wouldn't go so far as to say that you can enter a US consulate in Canada casually. As I mentioned previously, both myself and my fiance were asked to present our passports at the entrance to the Vancouver consulate. I'm sure that in lieu of a passport one would be expected to present other government-issued ID.

Is there a documented source that says that a passport is required for admittance into a US consulate? All we've discussed so far are counterpoint experiences which may not necessarily be standard throughout all consulates.

Personally, I'd recommend to the OP that he send an email to the MTL consulate and see what they say.

I would second that recommendation but even more strongly recommend the OP obtain a US passport ASAP. He may be able to drive to Canada now but in case of an emergency, he would be unable to fly there and won't even be able to cross the border by car after the first of the year.

Consulate vary widely in the way they are set up and what they allow. Certainly, US Citizens who have had their passports stolen or lost are permitted to deal with Consulates. Citizen services in Guangzhou, China are inside a combination office building hotel. I was permitted to enter the building and go up the escallator to see the area where immigrant visa interviews were conducted or turn left to the Citizens services section. I had no business there except to observe the lay of the land but would have needed to show at least some sort of identification to pass through security.

A US Citizen with a foreign fiance or spouse who has not passport, needs one ASAP.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree with you Nini & Bee and Pushbrk and I also agree that it would be a good idea to email Montreal for a confirmation and take that email with you to the interview - assuming they say come on in! Their website says that 1 U.S. citizen can accompany you in, with Photo I.D. - however as we all know this stuff changes from day to day.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Contacting Montreal depends on when the OP's fiance's interview is.

You can no longer contact them by phone. (or is that just regarding our visa's?)

The whole email thing is hit or miss, if they'll answer the OP in time.

Check under embassy info on here, it will have the phone number and the email addy.

Best of Luck *S*

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
You can email the Montreal consulate and ask.

Do you already have an interview date?

I myself don't think you'd need one. Not when you can travel across with just your D.L and your B.C.

That wouldn't make much sense *shrug*

You can post the question in the Canada Forum, I'm sure someone there will know for sure.

Thank you very much for your help, do you know the email addy for the Montreal consulate by any chance? Good luck with your interview!!

AOS Timeline

01-02-2008 - AOS Sent

01-04-2008 - Received Date

01-08-2008 - Notice Date I-797C

01-16-2008 - Received NOA for Biometrics appointment

01-30-2008 - Biometrics appointment

02-15-2008 - Received NOA Request for applicant to appear for initial interview Form I-485, Notice Date - Feb.8,2008

03-04-2008 - Received EAD for both myself and my son.........:)

03-04-2008 - Received AP for both myself and my son.......:)

05-07-2008 - Interview for I-485

05-07-2008 - Request for additional medical for myself. I was pregnant for the first medical and couldn't get xrays for the TB test. I also needed mumps measles and rubella shot at the time and couldn't get until after the pregnancy.

05-23-2008 - Medical approved and sent to USCIS.

06-03-2008 - I-797 Notice of Action . Welcome notice. Application for permanent residence approved...:)!!

06-06-2008 - Greencards received....YEAH!! Happy Dance!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.