Nanusia & Lukaszek

Removing Region from DVD player

16 posts in this topic

I heard you can remove the region block on your DVD player and that your DVD player that now only plays US dvd's would be able to play them from all over the world. We have a yr old Panasonic which I'm trying to do this on. I've been looking on the net for the way to do it. Does anyone have a clue where to find the instructions and codes?

I heard its something like pressing the menu button 5 times then something pops up on the screen, you have to hit some sequence of buttons enter codes and magic, it removes the region block.

:help: My husband wants to watch his European DVDs.

12140.gif

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

Search for your model.

I found this a couple days ago from craigslist and my husband tried it and it didnt work on our model.

12140.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

Search for your model.

I found this a couple days ago from craigslist and my husband tried it and it didnt work on our model.

You can buy region free, PAL&NTSC dvd players. They are not all that expensive, under $100. Look on the internet. While most DVD players can have the RCE flag ignored, not all can convert from PAL to NTSC. This is actually a non-trivial thing to do, since NTSC has 29.97 frames per second against PAL with 25 fps. Good dvd players will do inverse pulldown detection to correct from the 24 or 25 (film or PAL) source.

Here is one site I found on google: http://www.regionfreedvd.net/ - not endorsed by me, there may well be others that are cheaper.

HDMI cables - if you need these things, the retail markup is like 1,000%. monoprice.com has the best deals. If you are buying a new flatscreen tv, get all of your cables here.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

No - if the player is not capable of converting from PAL to NTSC, changing the region will not help you. If you happen to have a PAL TV, you would be fine (although highly unlikely).

You can either watch it on your computer (this will work), or get a PAL/NTSC multiregion DVD player.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

No - if the player is not capable of converting from PAL to NTSC, changing the region will not help you. If you happen to have a PAL TV, you would be fine (although highly unlikely).

You can either watch it on your computer (this will work), or get a PAL/NTSC multiregion DVD player.

I don't understand what you're saying. I did a hack to my American DVD player and it plays my European DVDs just fine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don't understand what you're saying. I did a hack to my American DVD player and it plays my European DVDs just fine.

pal is the european standard for tv, ntsc is the american standard. it's a different picture, see the link.

link

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

pal is the european standard for tv, ntsc is the american standard. it's a different picture, see the link.

link

I understand the difference. The OP is asking how to change the region of an American DVD player to connect to an American TV I presume. PAL vs. NTSC shouldn't be an issue.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I understand the difference. The OP is asking how to change the region of an American DVD player to connect to an American TV I presume. PAL vs. NTSC shouldn't be an issue.

Why would they need to remove regions if it is an American DVD player to hook up to an American TV? PAL vs. NTSC is a potential issue if they wish to play PAL DVD's and the American NTSC player and it cannot handle it properly

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

link

i took the op's question to be american dvd player/american tv (both ntsc) playing european (pal) dvd's, both also having different region codes in the dvd. as i understand it, a european dvd will still play in pal, not ntsc, so that is why that particular topic came up.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Why would they need to remove regions if it is an American DVD player to hook up to an American TV? PAL vs. NTSC is a potential issue if they wish to play PAL DVD's and the American NTSC player and it cannot handle it properly

I guess my misunderstanding comes from the fact that I did exactly what the OP is trying to do with a simple region hack. No need to worry about PAL vs. NTSC. I thought that all DVD players have this capability, but I guess not.

If it's helpful to the OP at all, I have a $30 Cyberhome player. Have no trouble playing my European DVD's.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

All I know is that I hacked our $30 DVD player and it plays all the DVDs I brought with me from the UK on our years old US TV. But maybe I'm just lucky.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

I had the $40 Cyberhome one that played all regions, but for some reason it just burned out (one day wouldn't turn on) and I wasnt only one to have this problem, my mom, dad & friends who had this also had this happen to them... what can you expect for $40. But yes it did play all regions.

I got the shiny fancy Panasonic for free from my credit card for having a whole bunch of points, so that's why I'm trying to make use of what I got. Jenn is correct, and understands what I need. Maybe my Panasonic is just a stupid one and doesnt want to unblock.

But when I read Russ's post I got totally lost. Maybe I'm technologically slowwww or totally went in one ear out the other. I heard you press a sequence of buttons, type a code and whala magic it will play all dvds on my tv.

I know you can play the dvd's on your computer, but who wants to sit and watch it on a 15inch screen, when I can do it on my 50inch plasma... hence why i want to unblock the region.

Because I want to watch NON American DVDs. Europe is region 2 I beleive, and USA is region 1. American dvd player blocks all other regions from playing. It has nothing to do with what type of tv you have.

12140.gif