canabird

We filed for K-1 but now want to get married

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I live in Canada and my fiance is in the U.S. He filed for K-1 in July (strangely, he hasn't even gotten delivery confirmation yet), but my mother has advanced cancer and may not be able to wait till February when our petition is (hopefully) processed.

My fiance is coming for a visit next week, and wants to know why we can't just get married-- here in Canada --before he returns to the U.S. I know the wait is a little longer for the K-3, but if that's all, I guess I can live with it so my mom can be there.

Is it legal to do this, and can cancelling the K-1 and re-applying for K-3 be done without repercussions?

Thanks so much. CB

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I live in Canada and my fiance is in the U.S. He filed for K-1 in July (strangely, he hasn't even gotten delivery confirmation yet), but my mother has advanced cancer and may not be able to wait till February when our petition is (hopefully) processed.

My fiance is coming for a visit next week, and wants to know why we can't just get married-- here in Canada --before he returns to the U.S. I know the wait is a little longer for the K-3, but if that's all, I guess I can live with it so my mom can be there.

Is it legal to do this, and can cancelling the K-1 and re-applying for K-3 be done without repercussions?

Thanks so much. CB

:yes:

YMMV

I have once read a specific posts about filing a K-1, and then deciding to marry before it is approved. From my understanding, if you filed for a K-1 visa and you decided and went through with getting married, that means abandoning your K1 visa. This is the reason why K-1 is a FIANCE/FIANCEE VISA.

Once I see that post from here in VJ, I will send you the link.

IR-1

Immigration Process

2007-02-22 **I-130 Sent to VSC

2007-07-02 **I-130 APPROVED at USCIS- CSC

2007-10-10 **CASE COMPLETED at NVC

2007-11-15 **INTERVIEW DATE. APPROVED at USEM!!!

USA

2007-12-02 **Arrival from MNL to JFK (NYC)

2007-12-10 **Visit to SSA

.png

As promised, here are the 2 links that clearly states you can not marry when you have a K1 visa pending.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80089

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=300

Good luck!

IR-1

Immigration Process

2007-02-22 **I-130 Sent to VSC

2007-07-02 **I-130 APPROVED at USCIS- CSC

2007-10-10 **CASE COMPLETED at NVC

2007-11-15 **INTERVIEW DATE. APPROVED at USEM!!!

USA

2007-12-02 **Arrival from MNL to JFK (NYC)

2007-12-10 **Visit to SSA

.png

Yes you can. You're right, you'd have to abandon the K-1 and reapply for a K-3, which will mean new fees. I can see your dilemma though.

What a lovely gift to give your Mother. I'd go for it!

Carla (F)

As promised, here are the 2 links that clearly states you can not marry when you have a K1 visa pending.

Good luck!

That's if you marry, and then still try and go through the rest of the K-1 process. Her question is not the same situation at all.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good luck!

What this means is that you cannot receive and/or enter the USA on a K-1 fiance(e) visa if you are married.

If your personal situation changes mid stream there is no problem cancelling or abandoning your current in process petition (because you no longer meet the requirements) and re-petitioning for the correct visa type.

YMMV

I can tell that we had the same feelings too when after applying for K-1. But was told that if married while waiting we would maybe ran into problems and frustrations and delay our case badly. Why would you even waste those money on a K-1 and start over?

Why not go through this K-1 procedure and look forward to be married. It's just a matter of patience :whistle:

usa01.gif

Mike and Anettedk04.gif

03-07-07 Anette arrived in San Diego on a K-1 Visa

04-04-07 Married in Las Vegas

lovebirds.gif

AOS

06-01-07 Mailed AOS/AP to NBC

06-12-07 Recieved NOA by mail for AOS

07-10-07 Biometric appointment for AOS

08-03-07 AOS touched after they recieved RFE

08-14-07 Approval notice on AP is sent

08-18-07 Approval notice on AP recieved

09-07-07 Recieved Interview date by mail

10-23-07 AOS Interview / Approved

10-24-07 Card production ordered

10-29-07 Welcome Letter recieved

11-02-07 Greencard recieved

Remove Condition

08-05-09 Mailed I-751 to CSC

08-10-09 NOA1 Receipt date

08-15-09 Recieved NOA1 by mail

08-20-09 Recieved BIO date by mail

09-04-09 Biometric Appointment

09-08-09 Touch

11-25-09 Card production ordered

12-03-09 Approval Letter recieved

12-04-09 Greencard recieved

I can tell that we had the same feelings too when after applying for K-1. But was told that if married while waiting we would maybe ran into problems and frustrations and delay our case badly. Why would you even waste those money on a K-1 and start over?

Why not go through this K-1 procedure and look forward to be married. It's just a matter of patience :whistle:

Who knows how long it will be to get an interview in Canada. Her mother is in advanced stages of cancer and by the time the Visa is approved her Mother might not be around...

Just my opinion, but I think I'd forgo the K-1 to have my Mother see me get married.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

It's wonderful that you are thinking of your mother. But your K-1 will be done before february if it's a simple case without any background issues that will delay your case

usa01.gif

Mike and Anettedk04.gif

03-07-07 Anette arrived in San Diego on a K-1 Visa

04-04-07 Married in Las Vegas

lovebirds.gif

AOS

06-01-07 Mailed AOS/AP to NBC

06-12-07 Recieved NOA by mail for AOS

07-10-07 Biometric appointment for AOS

08-03-07 AOS touched after they recieved RFE

08-14-07 Approval notice on AP is sent

08-18-07 Approval notice on AP recieved

09-07-07 Recieved Interview date by mail

10-23-07 AOS Interview / Approved

10-24-07 Card production ordered

10-29-07 Welcome Letter recieved

11-02-07 Greencard recieved

Remove Condition

08-05-09 Mailed I-751 to CSC

08-10-09 NOA1 Receipt date

08-15-09 Recieved NOA1 by mail

08-20-09 Recieved BIO date by mail

09-04-09 Biometric Appointment

09-08-09 Touch

11-25-09 Card production ordered

12-03-09 Approval Letter recieved

12-04-09 Greencard recieved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's wonderful that you are thinking of your mother. But your K-1 will be done before february if it's a simple case without any background issues that will delay your case

her case will not be done by feb ( look at my timeline and others who go trough Montreal )

, shes toronto so her case will be processd in Montreal , and since they just filed in july , Montreal has a backlog of 5- 7 month " After" they resive package 3 back,

My case was put in MTL system 31 july and I send package 3 to them a week before ,and I wont get an interview till dec or jan , I say go for it if its doable give your mom that gift to be with you guys on the wedding , good luck Lona

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
If your personal situation changes mid stream there is no problem cancelling or abandoning your current in process petition (because you no longer meet the requirements) and re-petitioning for the correct visa type.

This is very good advice. The visa process should match your plans. Cancel the petition in writing, citing your change of plans, and refile for the K-3.

I think you can send the K-1 cancellation and the new K-3 filing at the same time - I don't believe there is any requirement to wait for the K-1 to be cancelled as long as you properly annototate such in the correspondance.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Who knows how long it will be to get an interview in Canada. Her mother is in advanced stages of cancer and by the time the Visa is approved her Mother might not be around...

Just my opinion, but I think I'd forgo the K-1 to have my Mother see me get married.

Carla (F)

I agree, Get married, Call up USCIS and tell them you want to abandon your K1, I am sure there is process for it (This can't be the first scenario of this) Then go ahead and apply for K3. The frustration of not meeting for a little longer is far better than the frustration of not having your mom see your wedding. Besides you guys live in US and Canada, you don't even need a visa to see each other while waiting for your K3.

If my wife is in Canada, I would have flown every weekend to see her, to India it kinda takes the entire weekend just to get there.

Go with K3, Sorry about your mom, Good luck with everything. :thumbs:

Edited by ApprovalPlease

K-3 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Chennai, India

2007-02-25 : Marriage

2007-03-14 : I-130 Sent

2007-03-18 : I-130 Transferred to CSC

2007-03-31 : I-130 NOA 1 (Recieved in mail)

2007-08-23 : I-130 NOA 2 (Recived email from CRIS)

I129F

2007-04-02 : I-129F Sent to Chicago

2007-04-09 : I-129F NOA 1

2007-04-25 : I-129F Touched I129 transferred to CSC

2007-05-21 : I-129F Touched I129 Recieved at CSC

2007-08-23 : I-129F NOA 2 (Approved, recieved email from CRIS)

2007-09-24 : I-129F Recieved at NVC and Case Number assigned.

2007-09-26 : I-129F Left NVC and on its way to Chennai.

2007-10-05 : Chennai Embassy Recieved our Case

2007-11-01 : Interview date, K3 Visa issued with absolutely no questions.

2007-11-11 : POE JFK took less than half hour

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Carla (F)

I agree, Get married, Call up USCIS and tell them you want to abandon your K1, I am sure there is process for it (This can't be the first scenario of this) Then go ahead and apply for K3. The frustration of not meeting for a little longer is far better than the frustration of not having your mom see your wedding. Besides you guys live in US and Canada, you don't even need a visa to see each other while waiting for your K3.

If my wife is in Canada, I would have flown every weekend to see her, to India it kinda takes the entire weekend just to get there.

Go with K3, Sorry about your mom, Good luck with everything. :thumbs:

thats right they dont need a visa passport is all they need , but you should bring prove that you will return to canada and you have ties there ,( like return ticket , bills , and stuff ) also keep the tickets you will need to show it at the interview when they want to see prove you met in person,

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

By all means get married for your Mother.

Just make sure you contact the USCIS and tell them you want to abandon your K1!

Good luck and best wishes.

Rick

December 12 2006 Filed I130

Jan 10 2007 got receipt and case number!

Jan 12 2007 sent 129F

Feb 6 notice they were moving the file to a faster service center.

Feb 26 Notice of I130 approval

Feb 28 2007 notice they were sending 129F to USCIS for further investigation (err #######?)

May 15 2007 notice of approval of 129F with processing dates of 05/15/2007 thru 09/14/2007

May 28 2007 Notice from attorney that NVC needed processed and money orders were needed.

June 4 2007 Traveled to Manila to spend 2 weeks with my wife!! (YeHaaaa!!)

Fed-xed her signed papers (For NVC) from Manila to attorney from Manila while on vacation

June 18 2007 Nvc approved support.

June 29 2007 packet arrived @ my home informing of interveiw for I130 on Aug 27 2007 and explaining Medical interveiw.

(Note wife never received packet for I130 in Philippines I fed-ex'ed mine to her for medical interveiw)

July 17 2007 packet arrived for 129F setting interveiw for Sept 5 2007

August 5 2007 Wife flew to Manila for medical interveiw on August 6.

August 26 wife flew to Manila for I130 interveiw on August 27 2007.

August 27 2007 12:31 pm I130 Approved

wife arriving Nov 18th

WIFE ARRIVED Nov 18th!!!!

Website I made my wife!

http://rickrox.tripod.com/roxan1.html

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
By all means get married for your Mother.

Just make sure you contact the USCIS and tell them you want to abandon your K1!

Good luck and best wishes.

Rick

An option you may or may not like is simply to have a wedding ceremony without the legal or visa process related ramifications of marriage. This would honor your Canadian family members and keep your process going. I realize this isn't for everybody. It wouldn't work for me but you may want to give it some consideration.

I'll add my assurance to that of others and say, you absolutely can marry, then withdraw your fiance visa petition and start a spouse visa process. It is a frequent occurance.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.