Mrs S

How do I make sure my exhusband has lost his green card?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, I am an american who married a Luxembourger in NY 17 years ago. After 3 years of marriage we were transfered back to Luxembourg and lived there for the past 14 years. During that time (5 years ago) we got divorced. How do I make sure he has lost his green card. PS he never entered the US during the 14 years we lived in Europe.

Thanks

Mrs. S

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Hi, I am an american who married a Luxembourger in NY 17 years ago. After 3 years of marriage we were transfered back to Luxembourg and lived there for the past 14 years. During that time (5 years ago) we got divorced. How do I make sure he has lost his green card. PS he never entered the US during the 14 years we lived in Europe.

Thanks

Mrs. S

The simple answer is that you can not.

Reality suggests that the chance of him being able to retain it just on the info you give is slim to nil.

Why are you bothered?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

wow, wheres the love ??

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

Filed: Timeline
wow, wheres the love ??

Gone. Didn't you read that they divorced some 5 years ago? Nevertheless, we don't know all the details, so it's not right to pass judgment on this. The OP may have good reason and right to wish to see a green card revoked. How do we know?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

His status was more than likely considered abandon long ago.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

im not making judgements on it at all, its just i guess the way she typed it, came off as harsh. no pun intended.

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

After such a long time abroad, with no residency in the US, the card is likely very expired - unless a lot of things were done, and magically approved...Id say it's a done deal.

As for how you can be sure..good question, am not sure you can. :thumbs:

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

@ AUSSIELAD-------------------------Simple answer: If there was love I would not have divorced him! If you need to know the crude details of why I don't want him to have any of the privleges that an american has is because he beat me for 14 years, held a gun to my head in front of my 3 daughters, then proceeded to hold gun to my older daughters stomach because she put herself in front of me to protect me from him! My children are deathly scared of him and we have moved from where we lived in Europe back to the US. I am trying to protect my children, as any caring human being and mother would do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope that answers your question, and as everyone else said YOU SHOULD BY NO MEANS PASS JUDGEMENT when you haven't a clue about what is behind the question. So now you know why I sound harsh, have a right to be ........

Edited by Mrs S

wow, wheres the love ??

Gone. Didn't you read that they divorced some 5 years ago? Nevertheless, we don't know all the details, so it's not right to pass judgment on this. The OP may have good reason and right to wish to see a green card revoked. How do we know?

I think you have your answer Aussielad...

@ AUSSIELAD-------------------------Simple answer: If there was love I would not have divorced him! If you need to know the crude details of why I don't want him to have any of the privleges that an american has is because he beat me for 14 years, held a gun to my head in front of my 3 daughters, then proceeded to hold gun to my older daughters stomach because she put herself in front of me to protect me from him! My children are deathly scared of him and we have moved from where we lived in Europe back to the US. I am trying to protect my children, as any caring human being and mother would do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope that answers your question, and as everyone else said YOU SHOULD BY NO MEANS PASS JUDGEMENT when you haven't a clue about what is behind the question. So now you know why I sound harsh, have a right to be ........

Im a very sorry to hear this Mrs S. You sure made the right decision and I am happy to hear you are far from him now. After 14 years its more than likely that his GC has expired a long time ago, as other said. And I have read somewhere that you can lose it for living more than 1 year outside the US so I would say its pretty safe to say that he doesnt have one anymore.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: Timeline
wow, wheres the love ??

I think you have your answer Aussielad...

Im a very sorry to hear this Mrs S. You sure made the right decision and I am happy to hear you are far from him now. After 14 years its more than likely that his GC has expired a long time ago, as other said. And I have read somewhere that you can lose it for living more than 1 year outside the US so I would say its pretty safe to say that he doesnt have one anymore.

Not having a green card, and not being able to re-enter the USA to cast the OP and her children in harm's way are not the same.

MrsS,

If this man is as dangerous as he sounds, and if he's from Luxembourg, (A Visa Waiver country, if I remember correctly) there's nothing to stop him from coming here, albeit as a tourist. You might be wise reporting your concerns as to your and your daugthers' safety to ICE. Of course, while you have little proof to effect any steps against his return, perhaps some notation might be made on the record.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

If you filed any police reports, these might be obtained to substantiate your postion with ICE. Also, if you claimed these as grounds for your divorce and introduced evidence in court, the court transcripts could possibly be used as well. I'm not sure what else could be used. These were the first possible legal documents that come to mind.

Rooster

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline
If this man is as dangerous as he sounds, and if he's from Luxembourg, (A Visa Waiver country, if I remember correctly) there's nothing to stop him from coming here, albeit as a tourist. You might be wise reporting your concerns as to your and your daugthers' safety to ICE. Of course, while you have little proof to effect any steps against his return, perhaps some notation might be made on the record.

While this is good advice, I am still left wondering how you know that the OP has "little proof." Seems like a major assumption to me..

Edited by Mel_and_Daniel

AOS TIMELINE

02/15/2008 - Mailed Package via Overnight

02/18/2008 - Delivered

02/26/08 - Check cashed

02/28/08 - Received 3 noa's in mail : AOS, EAD and AP, Notice Date 02/25/08

03/11/08 - I-485 Transferred to CSC... EAD and AP still not in online system

03/12/08 - Boimetrics

03/22/08 - Touched

03/24/08 - Touched

04/04/08 - Touched

04/22/08 - EAD card production ordered, AP approval notice sent

04/29/08 - EAD Approval Notice Sent

05/02/08 - EAD arrived in mail

05/09/08 - AP touched

05/13/08 - AOS APPROVED!!!!!!

05/14/08 - AP arrived in mail

05/16/08 - Approval notice sent

05/20/08 - Green Card arrived in mail!!!!! Huge sigh of relief...

[quote name='diadromous mermaid'

Not having a green card, and not being able to re-enter the USA to cast the OP and her children in harm's way are not the same.

I don't know why you are quoting me, but didn't, at any time, say that she was totally safe from him re-entering the USA. I used the word safe in the context of an expression where I was commenting on the green card only. My apologiy if it was misunderstood but it was never said to mean she was safe from him or his actions.

I do second your advice about reporting him to ICE.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.