18 posts in this topic

I am applying for my Canadian daughters (I am a US citizen, we have lived here for 3 years), to get american citizenship through N-600. When I printed out the form and I got to section 6, I only need to fill out if I'm claiming US citizenship for them when my daughters were born. I am not doing that, so I didn't on the paper forms . When I went to file the form online and I came to this part it doesn't say it's optional. Can I skip this part? Or will they think my paperwork is incomplete?

22 minutes ago, Cdnamerican said:

I am applying for my Canadian daughters (I am a US citizen, we have lived here for 3 years), to get american citizenship through N-600. When I printed out the form and I got to section 6, I only need to fill out if I'm claiming US citizenship for them when my daughters were born. I am not doing that, so I didn't on the paper forms . When I went to file the form online and I came to this part it doesn't say it's optional. Can I skip this part? Or will they think my paperwork is incomplete?

Are they not already citizens? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cdnamerican said:

No, they are not. They don't qualify for american born abroad

I thought they had immigrant visas and moved to the US with you a few years ago? So became citizens automatically upon entry on those visas? 

Edited by appleblossom

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
44 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

I thought they had immigrant visas and moved to the US with you a few years ago? So became citizens automatically upon entry on those visas? 

And if that is the case,  you simply apply for their passports.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Did you bring your children on a greencard /LPR status to the US? How did you become a US citizen?

Assuming you naturalized and had children on a LOR status when you did, the kids automatically become US citizens the day you naturalize. 

If you were a US citizen before and the children received their LPR status later, they automatically become US citizens the day the activate their greencards by entering the US.

You could file for their US passports now but I would simultaneously file for their N-600‘s (as you are already in the process of). As for section 6, I printed out the forms and mailed it off.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
23 hours ago, Cdnamerican said:

You should probably update your timeline.  

I'm guessing your daughters entered on IR-2's (or CR-2), so please correct me if I'm wrong.  If that is the case, head to the post office and get their US passports first.  Once those are received, file for the N-600's. 

Do the N-600 applications online.  SO much easier and you can upload all scanned evidence.  I had to create each of them a MyUSCIS account, but that's fine.  

For Part 6, just fill it in from the date you entered the US to activate your IR-1.  

I filed for my kids on Mar. 31 and we received notification of the approval decision 2 days ago.  Just waiting on the notices to appear in the mail since they aren't in my kids' respective MyUSCIS accounts.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

To clarify for everyone. I am an american citizen born in the US, moved at age 7 to canada. Married a canadian and had 2 kids. My 2 kids came in to the US as permanent residents. They do not qualify for getting citizenship from the birth abroad. I am getting them citizenship under Child Citizenship Act of 2000. 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Cdnamerican said:

To clarify for everyone. I am an american citizen born in the US, moved at age 7 to canada. Married a canadian and had 2 kids. My 2 kids came in to the US as permanent residents. They do not qualify for getting citizenship from the birth abroad. I am getting them citizenship under Child Citizenship Act of 2000. 

Exactly, so as above you can just apply for their passports. They're already US citizens, they were the moment they entered the US with you on their immigrant visas. 

Edited by appleblossom

Timeline
On 5/1/2024 at 10:01 PM, R&OC said:

Did you bring your children on a greencard /LPR status to the US? How did you become a US citizen?

Assuming you naturalized and had children on a LOR status when you did, the kids automatically become US citizens the day you naturalize. 

If you were a US citizen before and the children received their LPR status later, they automatically become US citizens the day the activate their greencards by entering the US.

You could file for their US passports now but I would simultaneously file for their N-600‘s (as you are already in the process of). As for section 6, I printed out the forms and mailed it off.

N600 is superfluous if already a citizen.  All they will ever need is US passports.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
3 hours ago, Cdnamerican said:

They came with IR2 visas, meaning they became citizens upon entry.  Apply for their passports.  N600 for a certificate of citizenship is a useless piece of paper.  They are already US Citizens.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

48 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

N600 is superfluous if already a citizen.  All they will ever need is US passports.

I strongly disagree with this statement. Naturalization certificate is very important to have. Every now and they you can read stories US government asking to re-prove US citizenship when renewing passport or getting other benefits or sponsoring other immigrants later in life.

Here's recent story:

Timeline
2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I strongly disagree with this statement. Naturalization certificate is very important to have. Every now and they you can read stories US government asking to re-prove US citizenship when renewing passport or getting other benefits or sponsoring other immigrants later in life.

Here's recent story:

N600 is not "Naturalization".  N400 is.  It's well established that when children born to US Citizens abroad who do not qualify for CRBA, they are immediately Citizens when they enter the USA into the custody of the USC parent, with IR2 visas.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

2 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Here's recent story:

And some more

And plenty more on Reddit and other messaging boards. N-600 is the best investment in my opinion.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.