Hoggypi

Marrying then adjusting status with an ESTA then overstaying? (Merged threads)

68 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, SalishSea said:

You cannot (and SHOULD not) attempt to file without a marriage certificate.  The petition will be denied.

As you were told multiple times in this thread, you will soon be out of status until you've properly filed to adjust.  

Thank you 

I also wonder, on all immigration forms should I use my new surname? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Hoggypi said:

I also need to get an updated Australian passport and drivers licence before we file for AOS?

That is not required or needed before filing for adjustment.  You can use your new legal name on the AOS paperwork.  Your marriage certificate is a valid, legal name change source document.

***Mod hat on**

I removed your new topic question which asked this question.  That way, you can keep all your related questions and answers here under this thread****

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Hoggypi said:

I also wonder, on all immigration forms should I use my new surname? 

Yes, if you want to use that as your legal name.  Expedited filing of a proper I-485 should be a top priority at this point.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

That is not required or needed before filing for adjustment.  You can use your new legal name on the AOS paperwork.  Your marriage certificate is a valid, legal name change source document.

I see, thank you very much. 
I apologise for so many questions, I have one more..I read this online “ Form I-485 is the official application for an adjustment of status. You can only file it if you have a visa number available to you. You can check the U.S. Department of State's visa bulletin for more information about visa availability.”

So I wonder, should we wait for the marriage certificate to arrive then submit that along with the I-130 so I can get a visa number then submit the I-485? 

2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Yes, if you want to use that as your legal name.  Expedited filing of a proper I-485 should be a top priority at this point.  

The marriage certificate will take two weeks to arrive though which makes me nervous since I’ll be overstaying by then 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Hoggypi said:

I see, thank you very much. 
I apologise for so many questions, I have one more..I read this online “ Form I-485 is the official application for an adjustment of status. You can only file it if you have a visa number available to you. You can check the U.S. Department of State's visa bulletin for more information about visa availability.”

So I wonder, should we wait for the marriage certificate to arrive then submit that along with the I-130 so I can get a visa number then submit the I-485? 

Visa numbers are always immediately available for immediate relatives of US citizens, so your "priority date" is current.  Spouses are immediate relatives. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Hoggypi said:

Yes.  The marriage is the basis for the I-130.  It cannot be approved without the marriage certificate.  You need to read the step-by-step here:

Edited by Crazy Cat

6 minutes ago, Hoggypi said:

The marriage certificate will take two weeks to arrive though which makes me nervous since I’ll be overstaying by then 

At this point, you have no choice but to wait for it.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Hoggypi said:

I apologise for so many questions,

Nothing wrong in asking questions.  It's much better to ask than to risk a delay or denial. 

24 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

***Mod hat on**

I removed your new topic question which asked this question.  That way, you can keep all your related questions and answers here under this thread****

7 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Nothing wrong in asking questions.  It's much better to ask than to risk a delay or denial. 

I appreciate everyone’s help very much 

6 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

I wonder, when I eventually go for my visa interview would I need to bring an original copy of my birth certificate? It’s currently in Australia. Or would a copy be okay? And could I just check, when we compile the AOS package must this include photocopies of documents like marriage certificate and birth certificate? Because I was reading online that these should only be submitted online and not sent through the post 

Unless specifically directed to do so by the National Visa Center (NVC) please do not mail any documents to NVC. If you do, you will delay the processing of your case and risk losing any documents you send.”

17 minutes ago, Hoggypi said:

I wonder, when I eventually go for my visa interview would I need to bring an original copy of my birth certificate? It’s currently in Australia. Or would a copy be okay? And could I just check, when we compile the AOS package must this include photocopies of documents like marriage certificate and birth certificate? Because I was reading online that these should only be submitted online and not sent through the post 

Unless specifically directed to do so by the National Visa Center (NVC) please do not mail any documents to NVC. If you do, you will delay the processing of your case and risk losing any documents you send.”

Yes, you will need an original BC for the interview.

Yes, you must include photocopies of the originals like BC and MC.

The part you quoted is NVC - national visa center which is completely different from USCIS

Timeline
7 hours ago, Hoggypi said:

National Visa Center is not involved in an Adjustment of Status case.  You will not be receiving a visa.

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 9:00 PM, powerpuff said:

Yes, you will need an original BC for the interview.

Yes, you must include photocopies of the originals like BC and MC.

The part you quoted is NVC - national visa center which is completely different from USCIS

Thank you

I’m still learning and reading everything I can and came across this (I attached a photo). I am confused, does it mean if I file the I-485 after my 90 day ESTA expires then I’ll be denied since I’m in unlawful status? I can’t really do anything for about two weeks while I wait for my marriage certificate to come through and by then I’ll be over my 90 days.

Or does it mean I should file both the I-130 and I-485 concurrently? But if I do that then I’m unsure how I’ll get a visa number to put on my I-485 (since I am pretty sure I receive a visa number after filing the I-130)?

image.jpg

Edited by Hoggypi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

First question has been answered.

You file them together.

Have you considered using a Lawyer?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.