xlecilia

need veterans and newbies alike for some serious help & advice

12 posts in this topic

so i married my USA husband in 2015, moved to the usa we did the visa's lived out lives i did removal of condition's and we have been married for around 8 years have a son together who's about to be four in June, I LEFT LAST may with our son to go back to the UK as i missed my family it had been years since i saw them my mother's health has gone to ####### & my grandmother well her time was numbered. Me & my husband were having problems at the time so i didn't think to much on it or how long i was in the UK for, and had no idea about the one year rule we have finally worked through all out problems & well were still married never got the divorce ect, And well he wants us to come back which i agreed to because we never really fell out of love, But her is the problem i have been outside the USA now just over a year, so i heard because of that i technically dont have my permanent residence anymore or has anyone else had this problem & what visa's or what do we even need to reply to, for me and our son to well get back to out life out there?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

If you have an unexpired Green Card, just get on a plane and return to the US....now.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Working and Traveling, from Bringing Family of USC- the OP still has an unexpired GC.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
11 hours ago, xlecilia said:

i do, it doesnt expire until 2028 & ive already stayed over a year & i have to stay for atleast another 2-3 months as my mother needs the help, shes under disability ect now, any advice like i said i had no idea about this one year rule ect ?

The sooner you return to the US, the better.  Get on a plane and return as soon as you can.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

so i married my USA husband in 2015, moved to the usa we did the visa's lived out lives i did removal of condition's and we have been married for around 8 years have a son together who's about to be four in June, I LEFT LAST may or around then with our son to go back to the UK as i missed my family it had been years since i saw them my mother's health has gone to ####### & my grandmother well her time was numbered. Me & my husband were having problems at the time so i didn't think to much on it or how long i was in the UK for, and had no idea about the one year rule we have finally worked through all out problems & well were still married never got the divorce ect, And well he wants us to come back which i agreed to because we never really fell out of love, But her is the problem i have been outside the USA now just over a year, so i heard because of that i technically dont have my permanent residence anymore or has anyone else had this problem & what visa's or what do we even need to reply to, for me and our son to well get back to out life out there? permanent residence green card expires 2028

What visa's do we need or what does my husband or myself even need to file to get back? 
i have tried calling USCIS but always get stuck with the bot and the embassy in UK doesn't help either??
I posted this under family based, Because he's going to be filing to get us back and we have no idea what visa's or forms to even file for right now ?

Duplicate threads merged. Do not post on a topic more than once.

29 minutes ago, xlecilia said:

What visa's do we need or what does my husband or myself even need to file to get back? 
i have tried calling USCIS but always get stuck with the bot and the embassy in UK doesn't help either??
I posted this under family based, Because he's going to be filing to get us back and we have no idea what visa's or forms to even file for right now ?

You were already given best advice above. Stop calling USCIS and the embassy, it’s a waste of time. Get on a plane to the US. There are no visas or anything else needed. You’re not helping yourself by continuing delaying buying a ticket. BY LAW lawful permanent residents cannot be refused entry. Cbp might pressure you to sign I-407 but they CANNOT force you to, as I said by law they have to admit you. They can refer you to the immigration court but that’s highly unlikely given that you’re only gone for a year. There are some people who were out for years and successfully returned. Please do yourself a favor and book that ticket to the US right now. 

When i entered the US in 2022, there was a man being questioned about why he had been outside the US for so long (more than 4 years IIRC)… he was let in… Another UK citizen was going to enter the U.S. on ESTA (for her and her USC son) after being outside the US for more than a year and came in with her son with no issue. Just come back to the US… sad to say, you’re from the UK you probably won’t get any pushback for being out of the country for so long… 

okay thank you so much guys, sorry i wasnt trying to go over any ones advice the websites and official sites are like not clear on this stuff and all stated if i was gone longer than a year im considered to have abandoned my status! so i was in a full blown panic about what to do, i have only been gone this long because of my mother as i stated in the original post, shes been hospitalized alot, i will be booking a ticket now for next month as its the earliest i can afford for me and my son.

3 minutes ago, xlecilia said:

okay thank you so much guys, sorry i wasnt trying to go over any ones advice the websites and official sites are like not clear on this stuff and all stated if i was gone longer than a year im considered to have abandoned my status! so i was in a full blown panic about what to do, i have only been gone this long because of my mother as i stated in the original post, shes been hospitalized alot, i will be booking a ticket now for next month as its the earliest i can afford for me and my son.

Read this entire thread:

similar situation. No questions asked after long absence. And it was not a son it was a daughter… 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.