EugeneInSF

Is CRBA Required? Any faster ways of getting an appointment?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all! I'm a US citizen, my wife is about to become USC she had her appointment but we missed it due to child birth. I am currently panicking a little bit, because we are here in Tbilisi Georgia, our son was just born 2 weeks ago and seems we can't go back home quickly. I filled out an application on travel.gov to apply for CRBA, uploaded the docs, and they came back with an appointment date in the middle of May. This means we would have to be in Georgia for another couple of months if CRBA decision takes 3 4 weeks after the appointment. We were not at all expecting to be in Georgia for that long, is there another way? 

I read people applying for US Passport in US, I have my family there in US that can do the necessary visits to the passport office, etc, but is there any way? Any body had experience of how to contact the Embassy? Can I come in there in person to see if they can attend me? This is so strange that reporting birth is taking them so long. Do I need to write my congress-man-woman to get a more reasonable response instead of a 1,5 month in the future date? 

You'll need to have an appointment for ACS services, walk-ins not really a thing. 

American Citizen Services Contacts

• Contact the American Citizens Services Unit through the U.S. Citizens Services Navigator  (Google Forms).
  • Telephone (during business hours): for life-or-death emergency situations involving a U.S. citizen ONLY:
    • (995 32) 227-77-24 from the United States
    • (032) 227-77-24 from a local cellphone

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Also, do you already have a birth certificate from Georgia? Often time it's the local birth certificate driving when CRBA can be scheduled as it takes time to get it. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Timeline

We are waiting for the birth certificate to arrive, we have a certificate of birth from the hospital but not the official on from the state, they say next week but who knows. From the consul's message they say that 1,5 months after I upload the birth certificate to the trave.gov eCRBA application. Anybody had success getting an expedited CRBA appointment date? 

1 hour ago, EugeneInSF said:

We are waiting for the birth certificate to arrive, we have a certificate of birth from the hospital but not the official on from the state, they say next week but who knows. From the consul's message they say that 1,5 months after I upload the birth certificate to the trave.gov eCRBA application. Anybody had success getting an expedited CRBA appointment date? 

And you have your answer - local birth certificate. May want to go to the local administration issuing certificate to see if you can expedite that. Once you've uploaded the birth certificate you could ask if they can move up your appointment. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

11 hours ago, EugeneInSF said:

Hello all! I'm a US citizen, my wife is about to become USC she had her appointment but we missed it due to child birth. I am currently panicking a little bit, because we are here in Tbilisi Georgia, our son was just born 2 weeks ago and seems we can't go back home quickly. I filled out an application on travel.gov to apply for CRBA, uploaded the docs, and they came back with an appointment date in the middle of May. This means we would have to be in Georgia for another couple of months if CRBA decision takes 3 4 weeks after the appointment. We were not at all expecting to be in Georgia for that long, is there another way? 

I read people applying for US Passport in US, I have my family there in US that can do the necessary visits to the passport office, etc, but is there any way? Any body had experience of how to contact the Embassy? Can I come in there in person to see if they can attend me? This is so strange that reporting birth is taking them so long. Do I need to write my congress-man-woman to get a more reasonable response instead of a 1,5 month in the future date? 

Just for info, you will find out the day of the appointment if you can pass on citizenship to your child.  There is no decision to be made after the appointment.  As someone else has previously mentioned, do apply for baby's passport at the same time.  Wishing you a speedy journey.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought 6 weeks is pretty quick fir CRBA

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

10 hours ago, EugeneInSF said:

Do you have a compelling reason to expedite?  Job lined up back home?  You will need a real reason with documentation as to the need.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.