anjogo11

Can K1 Visa application get rejected for using Goverment assistance?

17 posts in this topic

Hello all -- I understand if you don't make the requirements for income, you can get a cosponsor to help. I didn't miss it by much and expect to have higher income this year so I don't see an issue.

My question is: has anyone heard a K1 Visa getting rejected because you were getting government assistance? I don't get money or groceries, but I am currently using insurance. I stumbled upon a website that mentioned the K1 Visa application would be rejected if you get government assistance and now I can't find that site for the life of me, so I'm asking you all if you've heard that and if it's actually true or not.

Thank you for any help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You tralise the beneficiary will not be able to work for some time?

The Consulate will consider the totality of the situation

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 3/31/2024 at 10:02 PM, anjogo11 said:

Hello all -- I understand if you don't make the requirements for income, you can get a cosponsor to help. I didn't miss it by much and expect to have higher income this year so I don't see an issue.

My question is: has anyone heard a K1 Visa getting rejected because you were getting government assistance? I don't get money or groceries, but I am currently using insurance. I stumbled upon a website that mentioned the K1 Visa application would be rejected if you get government assistance and now I can't find that site for the life of me, so I'm asking you all if you've heard that and if it's actually true or not.

Thank you for any help.

You will want to come up with a plan for providing your beneficiary with health insurance, since they will not be eligible for programs or to work for up to 8 months.   The best way to do this is via an employer-based plan, which it sounds like you do not have.   

The totality of circumstances and your financial ability to support an immigrant will be evaluated.

21 hours ago, SalishSea said:

You will want to come up with a plan for providing your beneficiary with health insurance, since they will not be eligible for programs or to work for up to 8 months.   The best way to do this is via an employer-based plan, which it sounds like you do not have.   

The totality of circumstances and your financial ability to support an immigrant will be evaluated.

Thanks for the tip, but my question is asking because I am getting government assistance, in this case insurance, will the K1 VISA application get rejected because of this reason (the government assistance specifically).  Like, do I need to stop my insurance to make sure it doesn't get rejected?  I am a U.S. citizen and my other half is from Asia.  

On 4/1/2024 at 3:08 AM, Boiler said:

You tralise the beneficiary will not be able to work for some time?

The Consulate will consider the totality of the situation

I understand this, and I'm currently looking for new work.  But my question has to do with being rejected because I myself am receiving government assistance -- will that lead to a rejection?  Again, I'm only asking because I read this somewhere and now can't find if this is true or not.  

Timeline

Some Consulates are less understanding than others.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 hours ago, anjogo11 said:

I understand this, and I'm currently looking for new work.  But my question has to do with being rejected because I myself am receiving government assistance -- will that lead to a rejection?  Again, I'm only asking because I read this somewhere and now can't find if this is true or not.  

It is not relevant during I-129F stage at all. 

20 hours ago, anjogo11 said:

Thanks for the tip, but my question is asking because I am getting government assistance, in this case insurance, will the K1 VISA application get rejected because of this reason (the government assistance specifically).  Like, do I need to stop my insurance to make sure it doesn't get rejected?  I am a U.S. citizen and my other half is from Asia.  

I'm sorry if you didn't understand my response, but what I wrote is in face relevent.

Here is the crux of your issue:  as a USC, you are eligible to receive benefits without repaying them (unlike LPRs), BUT:  as a petitioner and sponsor of an immigrant, receiving benefits COULD make the consular officer feel that you are not in a financial position to support an immigrant.  In other words, they may think that if you have to rely on public benefits, the immigrant might try to do this also, which is not permitted.

This is why I brought up making a plan to provide insurance for your beneficiary.  It is all connected and part of the totality of circumstances that inform the public charge evaluation made at the interview.

YMMV.

On 4/3/2024 at 6:15 PM, SalishSea said:

I'm sorry if you didn't understand my response, but what I wrote is in face relevent.

Here is the crux of your issue:  as a USC, you are eligible to receive benefits without repaying them (unlike LPRs), BUT:  as a petitioner and sponsor of an immigrant, receiving benefits COULD make the consular officer feel that you are not in a financial position to support an immigrant.  In other words, they may think that if you have to rely on public benefits, the immigrant might try to do this also, which is not permitted.

This is why I brought up making a plan to provide insurance for your beneficiary.  It is all connected and part of the totality of circumstances that inform the public charge evaluation made at the interview.

YMMV.

I appreciate the clarification. 

At the present time I am indeed getting the benefit, but I don't plan to be using this benefit by the time we are interviewed. I plan to have a job with insurance and be more financially stable. It's been my main focus as of now and what Im spending a lot of my time with. 

I understand where you're coming from, but again, my question is about at this present time, today, now -- if I do the application while using insurance from the government, will this hurt the chances of the K1 Visa application? Does this need to be reported in the application?  

24 minutes ago, anjogo11 said:

I appreciate the clarification. 

At the present time I am indeed getting the benefit, but I don't plan to be using this benefit by the time we are interviewed. I plan to have a job with insurance and be more financially stable. It's been my main focus as of now and what Im spending a lot of my time with. 

I understand where you're coming from, but again, my question is about at this present time, today, now -- if I do the application while using insurance from the government, will this hurt the chances of the K1 Visa application? Does this need to be reported in the application?  

Learning the lingo here is important.

By "visa application" are you referring to the petition?  Because the petition is not a visa application, and there is no financial info submitted during the petition process.

Suggest you read up and become an A student about the overall process, as pushbrk likes to say.  

2 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

Learning the lingo here is important.

By "visa application" are you referring to the petition?  Because the petition is not a visa application, and there is no financial info submitted during the petition process.

Suggest you read up and become an A student about the overall process, as pushbrk likes to say.  

Yes, the petition.  I-129F.  Apologies for not being specific.  

During the 129F petition process, would my receiving government assistance, in this instance health insurance, hurt my chances of this being approved?  I'm talking about now, today, in the process of filling out and sending out within this month.  I plan to have a job with benefits by the time we have an interview.  

Thanks again for the help.

2 minutes ago, anjogo11 said:

Yes, the petition.  I-129F.  Apologies for not being specific.  

During the 129F petition process, would my receiving government assistance, in this instance health insurance, hurt my chances of this being approved?  I'm talking about now, today, in the process of filling out and sending out within this month.  I plan to have a job with benefits by the time we have an interview.  

Thanks again for the help.

Not an issue for a year or more.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

I'm also a bit concerned about this issue.

We received the NOA2 the same month I received a new job offer in a different state.  Although I've relocated and am eligible for insurance through the Affordable Care Act until my employer offers me insurance (after 12 months), I',m hesitant to get coverage because it will overlap the interview/arrival of my fiance.  We also have family planning to consider, but the window of time to be able to get government coverage only exists for I think 60 days after my move. 

I'm risking going without health insurance for a year, but I need to look at the bigger picture and make sure the interview goes well.  Unless I am missing something?  I'm not willing to risk hoping that the "totality of the circumstances" will be favorable.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, hplusj said:

I'm also a bit concerned about this issue.

We received the NOA2 the same month I received a new job offer in a different state.  Although I've relocated and am eligible for insurance through the Affordable Care Act until my employer offers me insurance (after 12 months), I',m hesitant to get coverage because it will overlap the interview/arrival of my fiance.  We also have family planning to consider, but the window of time to be able to get government coverage only exists for I think 60 days after my move. 

I'm risking going without health insurance for a year, but I need to look at the bigger picture and make sure the interview goes well.  Unless I am missing something?  I'm not willing to risk hoping that the "totality of the circumstances" will be favorable.

Non issue

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.