13 posts in this topic

My mother has 3 marriages in the philippines , all of marriages are registered. I want to petition only my mother, it will be a problem? My father died already, her second married we thought that he died bec in 30 yrs we dont know where he is, and her 3rd marriage that is the surname shes carrying for all her life even in her passport. My mother doesnt know that her second husband has a family because before there is no cenomar in that time . What i will do ? I want to petition my mother.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You can

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, Healer said:

It will be okay? Even her two marriages are both registered and both still alive?

Yes, as long as it's only her.

However, I'd suggest she divorces both, especially if she's planning to sponsor the lucky one. Why? If she divorces the unlucky one, the divorce will overlap with her marriage to the lucky one and Consulate will not miss it. 

So, I think divorce both, remarry the lucky one. 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

19 minutes ago, Healer said:

No only my mother

Only i want to petition my mother

So, your stepfather does not want to visit the US or live in the US? He will stay in the Philippines? 
Is your mother happy with this arrangement?

20 minutes ago, Timona said:

Yes, as long as it's only her.

However, I'd suggest she divorces both, especially if she's planning to sponsor the lucky one. Why? If she divorces the unlucky one, the divorce will overlap with her marriage to the lucky one and Consulate will not miss it. 

So, I think divorce both, remarry the lucky one. 

There is no divorce in philippines and in the passport the surname of my mother is the surname of my step dad.

4 minutes ago, Healer said:

There is no divorce in philippines and in the passport the surname of my mother is the surname of my step dad.

Mom will have to show proof of name change with marriage certificate from the third marriage. Did she use her second husband’s name? I believe when you complete the DS260 you have to show all names used AND proof of name change.

Mom might receive an RFE for proof of termination of all marriages at the NVC stage. I don’t think your mother will be able to move to the US until she sorts out the second and third marriage. 

3 hours ago, Healer said:

You are right, there is no divorce and annulment can take time. But until laws change , annulment of marriage # 2 is the only option. .

What on earth do people in a bind do…?

For the health of its families, the Philippines needs a divorce law

In the meantime, dissolving a Philippine marriage remains a complex, discouraging process. For non-Muslims, the options are essentially limited to legal separation or annulment.

Legal separation allows spouses to live separately without giving them the right to remarry, while annulment results in the marriage being declared null and void, opening the way for each person to remarry.

Legitimate grounds for separation and annulment can include physical violence, fraud or psychological incapacity. Both processes involve filing a petition and presenting evidence in court. A psychiatric evaluation is always required and sometimes counseling too.

The proceedings often take several years and can be very expensive due to the need to consult with family law attorneys, with total costs typically ranging from 250,000 pesos ($4,470) to 400,000 pesos.

A friend of mine spent 12 years petitioning for annulment only to have the family court's order in her favor overturned in 2019 by the Office of the Solicitor General, which is mandated by law to represent the state's interest in protecting marriage as a basic family institution.

The moral issue of legalizing divorce involves a clash of ethical views, a debate on individual rights and moral duties related to the institution of marriage. Ultimately, though, people should not be forced to remain in a marriage, especially when abandonment has occurred or if either person has started another relationship or even another family.

I was separated from my husband after 9 years of marriage after trying counselling and many consultations. Praying and being active in church was not of much help and I was becoming suicidal toward the end. 

We have now been separated almost 12 years, and I am glad to be alive. Had we been able to legally divorce though, I think I could have actually stayed more involved with the life of my older son, who lives with his father, and helped to keep him in school. 

My younger sister separated after 20 years of marriage. Our father separated from his first wife after five years. Although he later married our mom, the authorities later disregarded this since his first marriage was never annulled so we were disqualified from receiving any inheritance or government benefits when he died.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Opinion/For-the-health-of-its-families-the-Philippines-needs-a-divorce-law

22 hours ago, Healer said:

My mother has 3 marriages in the philippines , all of marriages are registered. I want to petition only my mother, it will be a problem? My father died already, her second married we thought that he died bec in 30 yrs we dont know where he is, and her 3rd marriage that is the surname shes carrying for all her life even in her passport. My mother doesnt know that her second husband has a family because before there is no cenomar in that time . What i will do ? I want to petition my mother.

bigamy is a problem 

duh

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.