Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,006 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is so sad that we have now entered our 3rd thread on this topic. 

Please stick to Montreal only DS5535 

Edited by Crazy Cat
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

@Cadtoverm 

My wife is an American, currently living in Canada with me in Montreal. We bought our house in Vermont when we got married and started the immigration process. At the time we thought it would be an 8 month process….

We are having a baby in 3 weeks, and was hoping to be able to move full time to be close to her family and live in our house. The uncertainty of this situation is really impacting my mental health.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and information….. it makes a bit easier to go through the experience. 

Well, not that you want to hear this, but if the baby is born in Canada, it will be able to pass on Canadian citizenship to it's children, should they choose to have kids.  You guys won't be saddled with a big hospital bill right as you were hoping to move and your wife will be able to deliver with her doctors that have overseen the entire pregnancy.  

I know, you'd much rather be "home".  100% get it.  But hopefully it's not all bad...a new baby is pretty exciting.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Just sent a request to my congressman (democrat). 

Doubt they can do anything, but in a weird way I'm hoping the government exercises an audit on the consulate for being the way it is. There's no way it's working as intended. 

For records sake:

interview on Nov 9, 2023

221g refusal asking for CV only, passport returned at interview 

been waiting ever since (we assume Mantis clearance/SAO needed)

@Cadtoverm

Just curious and to help any potential lurkers anticipate and get mentally prepared for their own DS5535, do you or your spouse, your parents, have any ties to the Middle East, South/Central Asia (the Stans) Africa, Eastern Europe/RUSSIA, China, Latin/Central/South America? 

I think if someone or his/her spouse or parents, has any ties to any of these places, a DS5535 is more likely.

2 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

Just sent a request to my congressman (democrat). 

Doubt they can do anything, but in a weird way I'm hoping the government exercises an audit on the consulate for being the way it is. There's no way it's working as intended. 

For records sake:

interview on Nov 9, 2023

221g refusal asking for CV only, passport returned at interview 

been waiting ever since (we assume Mantis clearance/SAO needed)

Wish you better luck than me,  I found Senators/Congressmen were totally useless. All they do is get some aid to send an email , that aid gets the same template response we do.

Totally useless system.

As of right now there is no quick relief from this process, mandamus -the previous nuclear option, no longer moves quickly. The DOS will fight them to discourage people from filing.

They get dismissed and take many months to fight. You need to be prepared for a MTD and budget to respond that.

Most lawyers no longer want to even try if you haven't waited 6 months to a year.

I'm sorry, but for most getting DS5535, your are SOL.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

@Cadtoverm

I received a similar paper as you did but it did not include any instrucitons how to courrier the passport back.  All it said was Passport (mailed to us when we let you know).  

@Leo The Great

What email did you us to contact the consualte?  And as far as status, did you see it on this website CEAC visa status check?  Or is there another place?  

34 minutes ago, MRJ9987 said:

@Leo The Great

What email did you us to contact the consualte?  And as far as status, did you see it on this website CEAC visa status check?  Or is there another place?  

Email addresses are listed on this page:

https://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Canada&cty=Montreal&entry=2

Second email address in the list Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov

Status on Visa Status Check website

Edited by Leo The Great

Got a case update today. Sent an email about 2 weeks ago, so it seemingly lines up with that. Having said that, in the past, case updates brought on by inquiries have lined up 1:1 with their canned responses, only this time they haven't responded. Curious to see if I get any more unsolicited updates over the next week or two...

... though I probably just jinxed it by verbalizing it. 

Edited by Daft_Cat

Oh hey folks... just got DS-5535'd by our friends at the Montreal consulate on my wife's birthday (which happened to be same day as my interview). Nice ending to my trip here... with no explanation. 99% I am sure it's because I like to backpack and travel quite a bit. I can tell you that I even max'd out the word count on their online form when I had to put my last 15 years of travel history.

I had a call with a immigration lawyer this morning, and suggestion was to start building your case (i.e. start sending emails to your congressman, department of state, and the Montreal consulate to request them to provide updates, reasoning, etc., and explain the undue hardship and stress this situation is causing .. well all of us. I am full out going the mandamus route, and I did ask the lawyer today about why cases are falling through the cracks. Build your case first yourself folks, and hire competent lawyers after you do some work yourself that understand the process and worth the bucks you pay them (don't hire the guys offering to do it for $1500 bucks, and not wanting to fill the large template they will eventually have to after). 

29 minutes ago, sikeDS-5535dbyMTL said:

Oh hey folks... just got DS-5535'd by our friends at the Montreal consulate on my wife's birthday (which happened to be same day as my interview). Nice ending to my trip here... with no explanation. 99% I am sure it's because I like to backpack and travel quite a bit. I can tell you that I even max'd out the word count on their online form when I had to put my last 15 years of travel history.

I had a call with a immigration lawyer this morning, and suggestion was to start building your case (i.e. start sending emails to your congressman, department of state, and the Montreal consulate to request them to provide updates, reasoning, etc., and explain the undue hardship and stress this situation is causing .. well all of us. I am full out going the mandamus route, and I did ask the lawyer today about why cases are falling through the cracks. Build your case first yourself folks, and hire competent lawyers after you do some work yourself that understand the process and worth the bucks you pay them (don't hire the guys offering to do it for $1500 bucks, and not wanting to fill the large template they will eventually have to after). 

Sorry to hear about that. Please enter your information whenever you are done with submitting DS-5535 form for the benefits of others. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jV7rzX2eCRVoEDRhOtN9a6hDoHRLNEf1P3ZGZbQ0_Dc/edit#gid=0

1 hour ago, LYV said:

There seems to be an issue with the tracking sheet again. Did someone sort it for CR1 only and forget to change it back?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jV7rzX2eCRVoEDRhOtN9a6hDoHRLNEf1P3ZGZbQ0_Dc/edit#gid=0

sometime folks use filter on Visa Type  to look at CR1/IR1 cases. You may change it back by clicking on "Visa Type" column header (right side icon with lines) and "select all" and then click OK to bring back all entries

Edited by Leo The Great

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.