Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,097 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello!! Looking for some insight into how long everyone is waiting for. I was interviewed at MTL on Nov 28, 2023 and asked to complete the DS-5535. I started my process with USCIS in Feb 2022. It has been almost 2 years of waiting for my IR1 visa. I have recently filed the WOM with my lawyer. I am curious to know when you all filed your cases. USCIS shows 14 month processing time and I am at 24 months now. I was separated from my now husband for 17 months due to the Canada/US border closure during covid and still struggling to be able to legally live together in the US. This is taking a toll on our mental health I just want to live with my husband :( 

46 minutes ago, tdot2nj said:

Hello!! Looking for some insight into how long everyone is waiting for. I was interviewed at MTL on Nov 28, 2023 and asked to complete the DS-5535. I started my process with USCIS in Feb 2022. It has been almost 2 years of waiting for my IR1 visa. I have recently filed the WOM with my lawyer. I am curious to know when you all filed your cases. USCIS shows 14 month processing time and I am at 24 months now. I was separated from my now husband for 17 months due to the Canada/US border closure during covid and still struggling to be able to legally live together in the US. This is taking a toll on our mental health I just want to live with my husband :( 

Please enter your information in the following spreadsheet for the benefit of other members in AP. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jV7rzX2eCRVoEDRhOtN9a6hDoHRLNEf1P3ZGZbQ0_Dc/edit#gid=0

Edited by Leo The Great

Timeline
1 hour ago, tdot2nj said:

Must be awful being separated from your family. The whole DS5535 is beyond ridiculous. A few of us here have similar timeline as you, many who have received 221g pending security clearance since interviews in early 2023.  

Not sure what is your full situation, but filing WOM is one way to approach it. Who did u file with if you don’t mind me asking? It’s interesting to know that your attorney has proceeded to WOM just two months after the interview! Wishing you best of luck!! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, APRIL2023 said:

Must be awful being separated from your family. The whole DS5535 is beyond ridiculous. A few of us here have similar timeline as you, many who have received 221g pending security clearance since interviews in early 2023.  

Not sure what is your full situation, but filing WOM is one way to approach it. Who did u file with if you don’t mind me asking? It’s interesting to know that your attorney has proceeded to WOM just two months after the interview! Wishing you best of luck!! 

We filed with our lawyer from New Jersey. So the basis of the WOM is that our case processing time has been taking longer than USCIS quoted. It took me 1 year to get my case to NVC and then 8 months to get an interview. The website says within 60 days to get an answer and its been more than 60 days for the DS-5535. My lawyers other cases are taking max a year and our case is out of processing time. I know someone who filed for their IR1 way after me and already has their green card. Just been frustrating waiting. 

4 hours ago, tdot2nj said:

I'm very sorry.

We have people (by people I mean those issued Ds5535 in Montreal) here from Feb 2023 who still haven't cleared,  the last members to clear were Jan 2023 people who cleared around Dec 2023. We are now anxiously waiting for our Feb 2023 Ds5535 Montreal folks to get updates.

Right now it seems to take one year to clear the Ds5535 and get an update for a new medical.  A few people did clear much faster but that seems to be rare. We don't even know if one year is enough or if it will get worse.

In terms of WOM, please budget extra funds to respond to a motion to dismiss as in 95% of these cases the government is fighting back and trying to dismiss the cases.

I wish I had better news.

The US government seems to really enjoy punishing people who marry Americans, or Americans who marry foreigners. They seem to get some sort of joy by separating parents from their children. It's a nightmare.

Edited by ShawnK

1 hour ago, ShawnK said:

I'm very sorry.

We have people (by people I mean those issued Ds5535 in Montreal) here from Feb 2023 who still haven't cleared,  the last members to clear were Jan 2023 people who cleared around Dec 2023. We are now anxiously waiting for our Feb 2023 Ds5535 Montreal folks to get updates.

Right now it seems to take one year to clear the Ds5535 and get an update for a new medical.  A few people did clear much faster but that seems to be rare. We don't even know if one year is enough or if it will get worse.

In terms of WOM, please budget extra funds to respond to a motion to dismiss as in 95% of these cases the government is fighting back and trying to dismiss the cases.

I wish I had better news.

The US government seems to really enjoy punishing people who marry Americans, or Americans who marry foreigners. They seem to get some sort of joy by separating parents from their children. It's a nightmare.

Not only marriage-based green cards, but also employment based green cards.

I don't see DV folks though.

EB-2 NIW in AP since May 2023

Got another potentially unsolicited case update date change today.

Still unsure if it's due to having the congressperson/senator inquire for us (we heard from the congressperson on Feb 1 that they'll be reaching out). I assumed they'd have to wait for an email reply back or something, unless they have a direct line. 

Anyone have experience reaching out to representatives and seeing their case last update date change?

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

Still unsure if it's due to having the congressperson/senator inquire for us (we heard from the congressperson on Feb 1 that they'll be reaching out). I assumed they'd have to wait for an email reply back or something, unless they have a direct line. 

Anyone have experience reaching out to representatives and seeing their case last update date change?

Yes, my husband's case was updated when my senator contacted the consulate. 

10 minutes ago, cala2023 said:

Yes, my husband's case was updated when my senator contacted the consulate. 

Did they reach out that fast from

when you contacted them? 

Trying to figure out if it's an "organic" update or not. It's only been.. 1-2 business days from when we sent the request to the senator/congressman. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

when you contacted them? 

Trying to figure out if it's an "organic" update or not. It's only been.. 1-2 business days from when we sent the request to the senator/congressman. 

I don't think it is from the congressmen. They usually take a lot longer than that to inquire. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

when you contacted them? 

Mine emailed the consulate the day I spoke with them. It was very quick and the consulate replied the same day.

Timeline
41 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

Yes that happens too. 

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

Wow! Curious to see then if that's the case. Haven't heard from the congressman or senator yet. 

for what it's worth, I emailed California ones 

And mine was North Carolina if you or anyone else is interested. I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly they moved even though it sadly did not yield any results. At least some government official moved in a timely fashion.

19 hours ago, tdot2nj said:

It has been almost 2 years of waiting for my IR1 visa. I have recently filed the WOM with my lawyer. USCIS shows 14 month processing time and I am at 24 months now. 

I'm sorry to hear it's been so tough for you. Worth noting though, that the 14 months quoted by USCIS is only for the I-130 part of the process, not the whole thing. I think filing WOM only a couple of months after interview may be premature and be an easy reason for it to be dismissed unfortunately, but I wish you the best of luck and hope you get an answer soon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.