Ontarkie

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal Only. Post here and support each other (PART 3)

1,008 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

Hold on: do you mean to say they told you to submit documents that were missing (I assume given a 221g), and you were never told what to submit? 

And just waiting so far to hear about what to give? 

the consulate asked us for only a CV, and we've been waiting for nearing 90 days now.. 

I need to submit proper RCMP check, ds5535 and passport (given back at the end of interview). The CO told me to not send in the RCMP check as it will most likely expire by the time my AP is cleared and I will be asked to resubmit a new one. I also sent a follow-up email after acquiring my RCMP check, in which I received instruction to hold off on sending things in until I get further instructions from the consulate. I just recently learned from this forum that some members have sent their RCMP in asap. So I emailed the consulate to confirm. That’s when I was told that I have to send in my RCMP. Frustrating.

I was also told to expect ds5535 via email after my interview. Never received one. After three weeks, I just send in my information based on DS5535 online templates via email. Have to follow up a few times and finally they confirmed receipt. 

Doesn't sound like this was a common experience for peeps here. Im very proactive throughout this process but have had super bad luck with everything. Perhaps my application has fallen through the cracks between the desks… literally. 

16 minutes ago, Phil_K_IR1 said:

Just for planning ahead...

To those who got asked to mail their passports (and new medical, if asked): how long does it take to receive it back with the visa in it once approved? 

I doubt anyone that is done with this is still hanging around, but I assume budget in about 4 weeks..

I’ve seen anywhere from weeks to a couple months reported in prior iterations of these threads.

Timeline
5 hours ago, APRIL2023 said:

A bit off topic too - those with kids about to be born - There is a LONG WAIT TIME for appointments for birth abroad for your kid to receive the US citizenship. At least that was the case back in 2023. Need to account for this as you wait for your AP to be cleared. 

My daughter was born mid December and we were able to get an appointment for last Tuesday. She got her citizenships on the spot so at least we are lucky that way.  

Edit:  this is CRBA for Toronto consulate.  

Edited by MRJ9987

Timeline
6 hours ago, Superluminal said:

I personally have avoided emailing them for a few reasons:

1) They basically said on their website to not ask for updates until you are waiting for at least 6 months. This no longer applies to me since we've been waiting over 9 months at this point.

2) I left it to our lawyers to coordinate since they were filing a WOM. This also doesn't really apply to us anymore since we decided to not fight the MTD we got in October.

3) I would rather learn of unsolicited updates from CEAC then be getting regular updates from me e-mailing them. Maybe this isn't a good idea though since someone had just mentioned about "building a case".

It would seem there is no "right" thing to do 

It's fair not to ask them for updates until six months.  At the same time, squeaky wheel gets the grease .... unless it does more to piss them off.  

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Daft_Cat said:

Heh.

Honestly, I hate to say it, but the best way to get through AP is to just accept that it’s not happening on any reasonable timeline and to simply put aside whatever plans you had. Stop checking your status and counting down the days - just lay out whatever your strategy is going to be (WoM after a certain amount of time or whatever you opt for) and move on. 

I know that sounds defeatist and is easier said than done for many of us (myself included) to varying degrees, but the alternative is to sit on your hands & obsess while waiting in anguish for months or even years. It sucks, it’s unlucky, and it reflects a dysfunctional, broken system. But none of that will change the outcome. Nor does it mean the consulate has legitimate suspicions that you’re a criminal or that you’re somehow a less worthy applicant.

Plan to wait for a year minimum, and if the visa comes in the meantime, then great. Better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed. This attitude is what has kept me mostly sane.

I hear you.  I am working off off two year timeline and it seems to be taking more than a year.  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, MRJ9987 said:

It's fair not to ask them for updates until six months.  At the same time, squeaky wheel gets the grease .... unless it does more to piss them off.  

While I generally agree with that statement, we haven't seen any evidence to suggest that is how it works.

2 hours ago, APRIL2023 said:

Doesn't sound like this was a common experience for peeps here. Im very proactive throughout this process but have had super bad luck with everything. Perhaps my application has fallen through the cracks between the desks… literally. 

It hasn’t, don’t worry. You’re just in the same void that all of us are. Our responses don’t even matter, and despite the back and forth, they did eventually confirm receipt when you sent in your answers. Any documents they’re truly missing once you clear AP will be requested.

I forget if you’ve filed a WoM yet, but if you do go down that road, make sure your attorney calls attention to the haphazard way they’ve handled your AP. It further cements the failure to make good on the duty owed.

Edited by Daft_Cat

2 hours ago, APRIL2023 said:

I need to submit proper RCMP check, ds5535 and passport (given back at the end of interview). The CO told me to not send in the RCMP check as it will most likely expire by the time my AP is cleared and I will be asked to resubmit a new one. I also sent a follow-up email after acquiring my RCMP check, in which I received instruction to hold off on sending things in until I get further instructions from the consulate. I just recently learned from this forum that some members have sent their RCMP in asap. So I emailed the consulate to confirm. That’s when I was told that I have to send in my RCMP. Frustrating.

I was also told to expect ds5535 via email after my interview. Never received one. After three weeks, I just send in my information based on DS5535 online templates via email. Have to follow up a few times and finally they confirmed receipt. 

What is the harm in sending them your RCMP certificate? They are valid for 2 years, and you should be very close to hearing back. One less thing they'll need.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.