Nathan Alden, Sr.

Daunted by the K-1/CR1 decision. Help!

28 posts in this topic

Hi, all. I've lurked here for awhile and recently registered for an account. I, a US citizen, met a great Filipina online and I plan to travel soon to meet her for 30 days (maximum allowed stay without a travel visa). We have been discussing the logistics of marriage since we are both very serious about one another and it helps to know if there's even a possibility to pull it off in the future should we get along in person the way we think we will. However, after extensive research on my part, I've discovered that the requirements for marriage in the Philippines seem to be far more onerous, drawn out, and bureaucratic than most states in the US. There are lengthy delays to receive permission to marry,  affidavits may have to be signed depending on the Filipina's age, and the US government doesn't provide "right to marry" documentation, meaning I myself have to sign an affidavit, for which I've found conflicting information online about where and when I would have to do that. Marriage counseling also seems to be a thing.

From a purely logistical perspective, am I correct in concluding that all else being equal the K-1 process is far simpler than the CR1 process? Most US states require just a few things from a foreigner to participate in marriage: proof of identity (passport), proof of age (original birth certificate or certified copy), and proof they are marriageable (proof of previous divorces, annulments, etc.) Additionally, the only reason I am able to entertain visiting the Philippines for 30 days to begin with is because I do not currently work. The moment I get a job (I work in tech), it's likely my employer will effectively prevent me from taking long trips overseas, thus increasing the logistical difficulties.

I am anxious to hear from other people here who may have faced this same decision. How did you make your decision? What problems did you run into? What would you recommend we do in our situation?

Edited by Nathan Alden, Sr.
Wording

Marriage in the Philippines might be complicated, but the start-to-finish process for a spousal visa is easier, in my opinion.  

You might want to look at Utah Zoom Wedding, this might be the best solution for you two.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

CR1 is much much simpler, actually IR1 even more so.

This is someone you have never met?

Baby steps, meet first, see how it goes.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would try to do a ‘1st meet’ soon, providing all was well, you could start the 129F process with the proof of meeting. As far as flying over, long way, some expense, 30 days is a long stay. Long stays cost more $$.

Why not go soon, get the proof of meeting, then fire off the 129F application?  Since the 14 pages of the application takes a while, start it now, fill in parts later of meeting.

One should get a feel for the relationship, if for some reason it turns south, you can opt out later by not completing required steps. 

Some suggest getting married is a viable choice, then coming to the USA, maybe. For me I settled on the 129F. 

@widude Absolutely. For me personally, the K-1 process based on one meeting is by far the better option. I am being sensitive to her cultural needs, however, where marriage comes with various stipulations, expectations, and rituals. It's proving to be a complicated dance, for sure. It really comes down to her and how logistical instead of cultural/emotional she wishes to make the process.

Timeline

None is suggesting they marry now, get some trips in, quality time, see how it goes.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I think you are spending too much time reading too much info in the wrong places. I believe CR1 is a much better choice. I would say almost all people that have gone the CR Route and many who have gone the K1 route would agree.

Getting married there is not as daunting as it seems. Here are my man suggestions.

1. Have her go to her LCR and ask what are the requirements to marry an American in the Philippines. The reason is that it does vary depending on where she lives. Every LCR has some different policies. Make sure she writes down every requirement and then read it back to verify. The reason for this is things are not very detail oriented there. You do not want to miss any requirements.

2. One requirement in all of the Philippines is that it takes 10 business days to get a marriage license. Plan on a 3 week trip since it will take 14 days to get your license. Even more if there is a holiday so make sure you know the Philippines holidays.

3. Last make sure she asks if there is an expedite process for your PSA marriage certificate. That will make it faster to apply for the CR1. If you do not ask, and pay the expedite fee it may take 6 months or so to get your official marriage certificate.

Your other option is an online Utah wedding. They are the only state that allows and has a process for online weddings. You can do this while you are together there or with you in USA and her in PH. You will need to be together in person during or after the wedding for you to be able to file for the CR-1

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Nathan Alden, Sr. said:

Can you explain this? I was unaware this was a thing. Are you referring to the "meet at least once in person in the last two years" requirement?

No Utah

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.