EstambulPR

FOREIGN IR-2 HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATE, STARTING COLLEGE IN USA - FOREIGN OR IN-STATE STUDENT?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello all,

My stepchild (IR-2 immigrant) is 16 now and has one more year of HS after this one. She will graduate in July 2025, a few days before turning 18. We are praying that she finishes the IR-2 process so she can be on the ground in USA before the Fall semester 2025. Maybe others with similar situation can help me with these questions:

College Applications: As I understand, she will have to take at least the TOEFL or IELTS. I also know many schools do not require SAT scores to apply. Since she will most likely enroll in a community college the first two years, she will probably not need it. She knows some English but I do not believe is anywhere near the level needed to pass the SAT. Can anyone chime in?

Since application for colleges start one year prior, and she will still be abroad, does she have to apply as a foreign student? I ask because: a. there are quotas for the number of foreign students a school can have; b. tuition is waaayy more expensive for foreign students; and, c. she will be using my VA education benefits (she is already registered as my dependent) so I don't know if there is a conflict. Of course, once she comes with her IR-2 GC, she's be an LPR; maybe the college will allow her to change designation to "US Person/in-state student" once she produces proof of status?

Repeating 12th grade: I was pondering whether we should make her repeat senior year once she gets here, so she can be better prepared in all the important subjects (Math, Science, English, etc.) Is that doable? I guess I'll have to contact the county school system and inquire. But I am not sure they'll allow it since she will have already graduated from HS in her country.

If anyone can chime in, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Edited by EstambulPR
spelling

Timeline
4 hours ago, powerpuff said:

*** Topic moved from Bringing Family members to the US forum to Moving to the US & Your new life in America where similar topics are discussed ***

Sorry for the mixup. I really did not know where to start the topic. Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We did have my wife's daughter do an extra year although she arrived in US after almost completing grade 9 when we moved (only 6 weeks left in the school year).  She would have also graduated at age 17 if she went into grade 10, although a few months older than your daughter.  We elected to have her do Grade 9 again for the same reasons you are thinking - more math, science and English as well as to put her in school to graduate at a normal 18 years old.  What i don't know if your daughter can do is repeat grade 12 after she already graduates from high school.  That would be something to discuss with your local school system.  You should call the school district.  I think they would be rather helpful.  If she can, it might be wise to repeat grade 12 for more math/science as well as English, and most importantly, eliminate your original question of whether she enrolls in college as in-state or foreign student as she would have graduated from a US high school.  If they absolutely won't let you repeat grade 12 after graduating from her home school due to some rule it may even be worth considering not letting her complete grade 12 at home with an incomplete at the very end of the year.  Again, a discussion for your present school district.

Edited by Stein

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Stein said:

We did have my wife's daughter do an extra year although she arrived in US after almost completing grade 9 when we moved (only 6 weeks left in the school year).  She would have also graduated at age 17 if she went into grade 10, although a few months older than your daughter.  We elected to have her do Grade 9 again for the same reasons you are thinking - more math, science and English as well as to put her in school to graduate at a normal 18 years old.  What i don't know if your daughter can do is repeat grade 12 after she already graduates from high school.  That would be something to discuss with your local school system.  You should call the school district.  I think they would be rather helpful.  If she can, it might be wise to repeat grade 12 for more math/science as well as English, and most importantly, eliminate your original question of whether she enrolls in college as in-state or foreign student as she would have graduated from a US high school.  If they absolutely won't let you repeat grade 12 after graduating from her home school due to some rule it may even be worth considering not letting her complete grade 12 at home with an incomplete at the very end of the year.  Again, a discussion for your present school district.

Wow, thanks for the thorough answer. It is definitely worth exploring that option, from many angles. I also think it would benefit her socially and culturally to get the senior year experience, as well as allow her to practice English, get up to speed on other subjects and even improve her chances of passing the SAT and TOEFL with higher scores. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
3 hours ago, kas_xo said:

Hi, I also have IR2 Visa and I got DQ’d, I was wondering how long did it take for you guys to receive the Interview Letter? w

3 hours ago, kas_xo said:

Hi, I also have IR2 Visa and I got DQ’d, I was wondering how long did it take for you guys to receive the Interview Letter? 

We just started the IR2 process for the minor child...we're not even close to being called for an interview yet.

12 hours ago, kas_xo said:

Hi, I also have IR2 Visa and I got DQ’d, I was wondering how long did it take for you guys to receive the Interview Letter? 

Which consulate? It will depend on that, as the wait time varies hugely - some are only 2 months from DQ to IL, others are 2 years.

If you could fill in your timeline that would be super helpful, thanks.

Edited by appleblossom

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

She will most likely take the college's entrance test. Since you said community college, she will have more wiggle room on when to apply. She could apply to college when she gets here and that is what I would recommend. I would not have her go back to highschool after she completed/graduated. Wait to enrol her until you get her here, she may be able to use your address history/residency as her own and pay in state tuition this way. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ontarkie said:

She will most likely take the college's entrance test. Since you said community college, she will have more wiggle room on when to apply. She could apply to college when she gets here and that is what I would recommend. I would not have her go back to highschool after she completed/graduated. Wait to enrol her until you get her here, she may be able to use your address history/residency as her own and pay in state tuition this way. 

I hear you and that sounds like a good idea. Community colleges are more flexible, true.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2024 at 5:03 PM, appleblossom said:

Which consulate? It will depend on that, as the wait time varies hugely - some are only 2 months from DQ to IL, others are 2 years.

If you could fill in your timeline that would be super helpful, thanks.

My consulate is in Ankara NVC my visa type is IR2

20 minutes ago, kas_xo said:

My consulate is in Ankara NVC my visa type is IR2

Then it will also depend on if you’re Turkish or not I believe. I’d start a new thread asking in the relevant country forum, with your country of nationality, and hopefully somebody will be  able to help. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.