Alex&Jen

Emergency travel needed, but Honduran passport expired

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

I hope someone can help. I have called all the phone numbers to the Honduran Embasssy's in the U.S and none of them work. My husband's passport had just expired last month (Honduran passport). He needs to get back home to see his mom who is very ill and not doing well. Is there a way he can travel to Honduras and enter the United States with his expired passport (he has his green card which has been extended until 2025 as we wait for them to lift the restrictions). Does anyone know of a number I can call to talk to someone at an Embassy? He needs to see his mom as soon as possible and I just need help with getting him there, and being able to return home. Also, ID's have changed in Honduras and for him to renew his passport he has to apply for a new ID and he was told it would take weeks to months to get the new ID. 

Thank you in advance for any help. 

I'm very sorry about the situation you're going through. 

The first problem would be airline refusing to allow him on the plane.

Air travel with expired passport is unlikely.

What I suggest is going physically to the consulate of Honduras and getting an emergency passport / emergency travel document from them. Most of the countries provide one if there's urgent need.

If he doesn't have I-131 this also means abandoning AOS. Of course, his mother's health is probably a higher priority at this point. 

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
17 minutes ago, OldUser said:

If he doesn't have I-131 this also means abandoning AOS. Of course, his mother's health is probably a higher priority at this point. 

He has his greencard with extension letter.  It sounds like they are in ROC, not AOS.  

I do agree, a trip to the Embassy for an emergency passport sounds like the best course of action.  

Edited by mam521

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

1 minute ago, mam521 said:

He has his greencard with extension letter.  It sounds like they are in ROC, not AOS.  

Good point.

So all he needs is a valid travel document. Only Honduras can issue it.

As I say, it may be a matter of physically going there, knocking on their door and asking for help.

This thread highlights the importance of always renewing passport even if there's no planned travel. Usually, it's good to start renewing when 1 year of validity left, because many countries require 6 months validity to even enter them.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Often Embassies can issue Emergency Travel Documents and then he can sort out his Passport to come back.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Thank you everyone for responding. Does the emergency passport allow him to enter back into the U.S? Yes, I agree. We have now learned it is very important to keep the passport valid. I had no idea he could renew it here from the United States.  We are in the process of trying to get him an appointment in Chicago to go get an emergency passport. Thank you again! 

12 minutes ago, Alex&Jen said:

Thank you everyone for responding. Does the emergency passport allow him to enter back into the U.S? Yes, I agree. We have now learned it is very important to keep the passport valid. I had no idea he could renew it here from the United States.  We are in the process of trying to get him an appointment in Chicago to go get an emergency passport. Thank you again! 

I think typically one is expected to use emergency passport to get to Honduras and then sort out the normal passport there. That's how most of countries percieve the use case for their emergency passports. I think many countries issue emergency passport for single use, e.g. it won't be valid for travel after entering Honduras. It's something to discuss with consular officials.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Certainly how the UK does it, not a passport a one way travel document

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 2/9/2024 at 6:04 PM, Boiler said:

Certainly how the UK does it, not a passport a one way travel document

They actually call it emergency passport?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_emergency_passport

It makes sense, at least most European countries make it one way / single use due to security.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.