Beth & Achraf

2023 Houston Filers (Merged Threads)

55 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
2 hours ago, yuna628 said:

If your spouse has lived here for any reasonable number of time a good deal of these questions they should know already. The best way to remember them is to test your spouse every day, and go over the ones that they get stuck on the most. Eventually they will stick. A lawyer should not be needed for this. The spouse is asking to become the citizen and not the lawyer, it's their responsibility to complete the test.

OP: good luck on it, and don't worry. If you guys spend a while studying together it will be okay!

Regardless of how long you have been in USA they are still 100 of them. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Visitor User said:

What about USCIS setting up additional fees to bypass the test? This would benefit the government.

To meet the requirements of Section 312 of the INA, applicants must pass a naturalization test to become U.S. citizens.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

To meet the requirements of Section 312 of the INA, applicants must pass a naturalization test to become U.S. citizens.  

I know that. This was a suggestion. There were articles in the news that most people born and raised here can’t pass this test. 

Edited by Visitor User

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Visitor User said:

What about USCIS setting up additional fees to bypass the test? This would benefit the government.

I can't see how having lazy uneducated immigrants who didn't want to study for an easy test and didn't care or know anything about the USA government would be a benefit for the government.  If you want to become a USA citizen you should at least know something about the USA. Its not asking too much. There are enough ignorant or misinformed people writing misleading articles and spreading misinformation, we don't need more.   It boggles my mind why you would even suggest that. People write rhetoric about the world being flat too, and about every other crazy thing.  

Edited by W199

Timeline
10 minutes ago, W199 said:

I can't see how having lazy uneducated immigrants who didn't want to study for an easy test and didn't care or know anything about the USA government would be a benefit for the government.  If you want to become a USA citizen you should at least know something about the USA. Its not asking too much. There are enough ignorant or misinformed people writing misleading articles and spreading misinformation, we don't need more.   It boggles my mind why you would even suggest that. People write rhetoric about the world being flat too, and about every other crazy thing.  

I am brain storming things out. Government would benefit from the fees we paid. Are we going to use this knowing in a real life? Unless you are a history teacher.

12 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

I am brain storming things out. Government would benefit from the fees we paid. Are we going to use this knowing in a real life? Unless you are a history teacher.

The time you spend here arguing could have been used for studying all 100 questions... Be thankful it's not a 2 hr written exam with essay which could be a possibility in the future if Donald gets elected.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
5 hours ago, OldUser said:

The time you spend here arguing could have been used for studying all 100 questions... Be thankful it's not a 2 hr written exam with essay which could be a possibility in the future if Donald gets elected.

No worries. I will pass this test with flying colors. I just wanted to get a conversation going. I doubt a longer test and/or a challenging exam will be ever implemented regardless of who the president is.

Edited by Visitor User

17 hours ago, Visitor User said:

I know that. This was a suggestion. There were articles in the news that most people born and raised here can’t pass this test. 

Ignorance in a population is a result of a bad education system. It should not be some sign that others should be happy with the status quo of ignorance. 

16 hours ago, Visitor User said:

Many of the questions if not all of the questions, should be vital to know in real life to be any sort of productive citizen. It is not a difficult test, and the US citizen can help their immigrant spouse with studying.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
1 hour ago, yuna628 said:

Ignorance in a population is a result of a bad education system. It should not be some sign that others should be happy with the status quo of ignorance. 

Many of the questions if not all of the questions, should be vital to know in real life to be any sort of productive citizen. It is not a difficult test, and the US citizen can help their immigrant spouse with studying.

It’s not a big deal but if they studied I am sure they would pass. We aren’t going to use it in real life.

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

It’s not a big deal but if they studied I am sure they would pass. We aren’t going to use it in real life.

Wrong.  Part of the test is language skills. 

You will read some English during your life, will you not?

You will speak some English, will you not? 

You will need to write in English, will you not? 

You are going to vote, are you not?

Don't you think it is important that new Americans know about the US Constitution, how the government is set up, what rights you have as an American?   The citizenship test is not only a test.  It is also a condensed method of education about the United States.

You seem to think an immigrant should just be able to buy their citizenship status with no test.  Frankly, I find that thought distasteful because it cheapens citizenship.   The citizenship test means a great more than just fees paid to the government. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Wrong.  Part of the test is language skills. 

You will read some English during your life, will you not?

You will speak some English, will you not? 

You will need to write in English, will you not? 

You are going to vote, are you not?

Don't you think it is important that Americans know about the US Constitution, how the government is set up, what rights you have as an American?

Honestly, you seem to think an immigrant should just be able to pay and buy their citizenship status.  Frankly, I find that thought distasteful. The citizenship test is not only a test.  It is also a method of education about the United States.  The citizenship test means a great more than just fees paid to the government. 

I am talking about the 100 questions test. Not the English part. I know people who speak Spanish only here and do well but I think knowing basic English is fair for exam.

Also, we have applications in Spanish.

I am going to Vote once I qualify. Each individual is different as far as how much knowledge they want to learn.

This is just a discussion. I have no issues taking the test any any other test required to obtain citizenship. I was just throwing out options. You know I love USA 🇺🇸.

Edited by Visitor User

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

I am talking about the 100 questions test.

I guess you didn't read the 2nd half of my comment...Fine.... 

Edited by Crazy Cat

Timeline
1 minute ago, Crazy Cat said:

I guess you didn't read the 2nd half of my comment...Fine.... 

I did but let’s move on to helping the OP.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

Each individual is different as far as how much knowledge they want to learn.

I would assume a prospective US citizen would want to learn a great deal about their country.   It also required by law.

Edited by Crazy Cat

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.