ahhaat

General questions about US Immigration

31 posts in this topic

Timeline
21 hours ago, SalishSea said:

It's very expensive for employers to petition overseas workers for employment visas.  It is a long process, and generally handled through the company's lawyer.

No one is going to interview you for an unskilled position while you're visiting on a B visa, and then petition you for an employment visa.

If you want to live and work in the US, you will need to get a degree in a field that has a labor shortage in the US:  STEM, medicine, nursing etc.

And incidentally, why a B visa?  Why not visit on the VWP?

I was looking at the B visa as my friend is “moving” to Miami in July and he’s going on the B visa and he won’t have to work in the US as he runs a fairly successful online business and I was wondering if I’d be able to do something similar but work part-time or full-time.

Timeline
19 hours ago, Boiler said:

Do you have a B Visa

Being eligible for the Lottery may have been a one off, no way of knowing now.

Further education in the US for example a Degree in IT or Medicine may open doors.

There is the Investment option if you have lots of money

I have not applied for the B visa as I am simply weighing my options at the moment.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 minutes ago, ahhaat said:

I was looking at the B visa as my friend is “moving” to Miami in July and he’s going on the B visa and he won’t have to work in the US as he runs a fairly successful online business and I was wondering if I’d be able to do something similar but work part-time or full-time.

Can You Work Remotely from the US Without a Visa? | NNU Immigration

"However, a visitor cannot do any paid work during their US stay, even if they also plan to undertake any one of the permitted activities, such as visiting a relative and using their address to work remotely from. This is because the B-1 or B-2 visitor visas do not grant US work authorization. The visitor visa categories also do not permit a foreign national to earn any US source income."

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

19 minutes ago, ahhaat said:

I am currently doing a gap year after finishing sixth form, I have looked into university and such and just wanted to see what I could potentially do to move to the US. 

Thank you for all the help here.

What is the EB2 NIW route?

Ah, you're still super young then! Plenty of time to work toward a move. As above, any of the STEM fields would be a good option (I work in energy/engineering).

EB2 NIW is an employment based route to a green card that doesn't need employer sponsorship (I did the EB1 which is similar). Full details here - https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-second-preference-eb-2

17 minutes ago, ahhaat said:

You need to tell your friend that his plan won't work! Remote/online work in the US is absolutely not permitted on a B visa, he'll be working illegally and runs the risk of being refused entry/being banned if he tries.

Edited by appleblossom

9 minutes ago, ahhaat said:

I have not applied for the B visa as I am simply weighing my options at the moment.

As a UK citizen, don't apply for a B visa. You have the VWP available to you so it's not worth risking. If your B visa application is refused then you'll always have to declare that on any other visa or ESTA application, and you may find it scuppers your chances of visiting for a while as any ESTA app is also likely to be refused as a consequence. 

I have to ask, have you visited the US before? 

Edited by appleblossom

15 minutes ago, ahhaat said:

What your friend is planning is immigration fraud.   No work is authorized on a B visa, even remote/online work.  nor can you “move” to the U.S. on a B visa.

Hopefully he will be turned around at the airport and his visa revoked.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 hours ago, ahhaat said:

Forget about the B, VWP is much more practical.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 hours ago, ahhaat said:

and he won’t have to work in the US

But it is illegal to work inside the US after entering via a B2 or VWP.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
22 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Can You Work Remotely from the US Without a Visa? | NNU Immigration

"However, a visitor cannot do any paid work during their US stay, even if they also plan to undertake any one of the permitted activities, such as visiting a relative and using their address to work remotely from. This is because the B-1 or B-2 visitor visas do not grant US work authorization. The visitor visa categories also do not permit a foreign national to earn any US source income."

22 hours ago, appleblossom said:

You need to tell your friend that his plan won't work! Remote/online work in the US is absolutely not permitted on a B visa, he'll be working illegally and runs the risk of being refused entry/being banned if he tries.

22 hours ago, SalishSea said:

What your friend is planning is immigration fraud.   No work is authorized on a B visa, even remote/online work.  nor can you “move” to the U.S. on a B visa.

Hopefully he will be turned around at the airport and his visa revoked.

20 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

But it is illegal to work inside the US after entering via a B2 or VWP.

I have let him know about this, I hope he doesn't go through with it.

Timeline
22 hours ago, appleblossom said:

As a UK citizen, don't apply for a B visa. You have the VWP available to you so it's not worth risking. If your B visa application is refused then you'll always have to declare that on any other visa or ESTA application, and you may find it scuppers your chances of visiting for a while as any ESTA app is also likely to be refused as a consequence. 

I have to ask, have you visited the US before? 

Not yet, but I am planning to do so later this year, I'm not sure if I want to visit as a tourist or try get a job on a H2B visa just to see what life in America would be like before completely committing to attempting to move.

1 minute ago, ahhaat said:

I have let him know about this, I hope he doesn't go through with it.

Does he already have the B visa? If not, he's likely to fall at the first hurdle!

3 minutes ago, ahhaat said:

Not yet, but I am planning to do so later this year, I'm not sure if I want to visit as a tourist or try get a job on a H2B visa just to see what life in America would be like before completely committing to attempting to move.

OK, so I'm struggling to understand why you've wanted to move here for years to be honest if you've never been here. Don't get me wrong, America is a great place, but you need to look at the practicalities i.e. healthcare, high cost of living, lack of vacation time etc. Don't build it up to be like you see it on the tv because it really isn't! As with everywhere, there are downsides so I'd ask yourself what you want out of a country - you may find you would be better suited to somewhere else that is easier to move to, or even somewhere else in the UK.

Best of luck to you. 

Edited by appleblossom

I'd suggest visiting off and on for a few years to see what America is like. America is a big place and honestly, it will still not give you the big picture of what truly this country is like, but it is a start. You're young and have a life ahead of you. Make connections here by finding friends and who knows, there might be a special someone out there eventually. To be able to visit, visa free, is a special privilege not many get, so it's wise to never do anything to jeopardize that.

I know someone that grew up absolutely loving the US, but as an adult he certainly kept on with his education and job in the UK. Chance would have it he met an American lady in a pub one day, and the rest was history.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
1 hour ago, appleblossom said:

OK, so I'm struggling to understand why you've wanted to move here for years to be honest if you've never been here. Don't get me wrong, America is a great place, but you need to look at the practicalities i.e. healthcare, high cost of living, lack of vacation time etc. Don't build it up to be like you see it on the tv because it really isn't! As with everywhere, there are downsides so I'd ask yourself what you want out of a country - you may find you would be better suited to somewhere else that is easier to move to, or even somewhere else in the UK.

Best of luck to you. 

I completely understand why you'd be struggling to understand why I'd want to move but I guess, it's just the change of climate and culture which I have found a great interest in, and by talking to a few friends from America it made me look at the practicalities and made me understand them and accept them. However, I'll have to re-evaluate them. 

Thank you for all the help. 

Timeline
28 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

I'd suggest visiting off and on for a few years to see what America is like. America is a big place and honestly, it will still not give you the big picture of what truly this country is like, but it is a start. You're young and have a life ahead of you. Make connections here by finding friends and who knows, there might be a special someone out there eventually. To be able to visit, visa free, is a special privilege not many get, so it's wise to never do anything to jeopardize that.

I know someone that grew up absolutely loving the US, but as an adult he certainly kept on with his education and job in the UK. Chance would have it he met an American lady in a pub one day, and the rest was history.

I'll likely do that, thank you for the advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.