ANJING

Do I need to hire an attorney?

25 posts in this topic

I met my girlfriend in June in China and were engaged in July. I wish to apply for a k1 visa for her. Do I need to hire an attorney or is it something I can handle myself? Thanks for your inputs.

An and Jing

AOS Journey

07/23/2008: POE Detroit

08/04/2008: Applied for SSN

08/08/2008: Got Married

09/10/2008: Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

09/12/2008: Arrived in Chicago/Signed by V BUSTAMANTE

09/19/2008: Check cashed

09/22/2008: NOAs for I-485/I-131 (dated 09/17) but I-765 was rejected due to outdated form (Rev 4/08/2008)

09/24/2008: Mailed I-765 (rev 05/27/2008) again

09/28/2008: I-765 was delivered

10/03/2008: I-485 transferred to CALIFORNIA

10/06/2008: NOA for I-765

10/10/2008: biometrics

12/01/2008: AP approved

12/05/2008: EAD ordered

02/19/2009: Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Most people do it themselves unless they have a complicated case where an attoney would be required. You'll find a lot of information on here if you read the faqs and guides at the top of the page. You will find information on applying for the K-1.

[color=#800080]AOS

Lawyer sent Aos package 07-27-2007

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

Biometrics scheduled - 09-12-2007

Biometrics for EAD and AOS 09-12-2007

Received RFE for medical and co-sponsor tax returns

(Tax returns were sent) also letter from employer

needed, and last 6 months pay stubs.

RFE: 09-11-2007

Sent RFE back to lawyer 10-10-2007

EAD card production ordered 06-11-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Interview date for 01-08-2008[/color]

Approved! Card Production ordered 01-08-2008

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
I met my girlfriend in June in China and were engaged in July. I wish to apply for a k1 visa for her. Do I need to hire an attorney or is it something I can handle myself? Thanks for your inputs.

The process is simple enough that you can do it yourself. You can handle it. As for an Attorney, unless there is some really out of the ordinary situation, I'd say you do not need an attorney. Some people get an attorney for the comfort of having someone else be responsible for all the paperwork. If that's yo uand you have the money, go for it. But an Attorney is definitely not required for this process. And here at VJ, you'll find that most are doing it themselves. In the end, yuo have to do what makes you most comfortable.

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Don't know how it works in China but HCMC will raise a huge RED flag if they see a case like yours "Met in June, engaged in July and apply in August". I would reach out to professional help If I were you! This case seems... :wacko::whistle: Be honest, Consulate Officer would have more questions than favorable answers to your case... Might want to make a few more visits and take your time to not show the oh-so-close subsequence activity from the time you met until engagement.

Just my opinion.

good luck,

chuck and kim

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Don't know how it works in China but HCMC will raise a huge RED flag if they see a case like yours "Met in June, engaged in July and apply in August". I would reach out to professional help If I were you! This case seems... :wacko::whistle: Be honest, Consulate Officer would have more questions than favorable answers to your case... Might want to make a few more visits and take your time to not show the oh-so-close subsequence activity from the time you met until engagement.

Just my opinion.

good luck,

chuck and kim

Actually, such timing is fairly common when the fiance is from China. I expect there was an online meeting sometime before June. Online courtships are common and understood by the Consulate in Guangzhou.

That said, it is critical to fully document the relationship from day one.

I too am an advocate for do it yourself unless there are complications like previous similar attempts by either party etc. However, I'm not so quick to say "You can do it yourself." If the petitioner has the aptitude and willingness to study the guides, read the instructions and ask clarifying questions, as well as the aptitude and attention span to follow detailed instructions, then they can probably use that attorney money to make an additional visit to their loved one.

For additional China specific information and support, I recommend http://www.candleforlove.com

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

pushbrk & rebeccajo very good advice. It might not be a bad idea to have a consultation with an attorney because sometimes it's hard to know whether you have a complication when you're new to the process. But even if you do get an attorney, ultimately, you need to be responsible for your own case, reading the instructions and documenting the relationship.

Many people have done it without hiring an attorney, myself included.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Sound advice from the veterans. Is it really 2k bucks for a good immigration lawyer? I'm too stubborn to pay such fees. just like Pushbrk says, I'd spend that money and make another trip to visit your SO, as long as you you have the knowledge neccesary for filing on your own.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
We spoke with a good immi lawyer before we started the process.

He said 'you don't need me'.

A consult with a reputable immigration attorney is always worth it's weight in gold.

Becca's right. We did the same. It was worth the $180 to know that we had an uncomplicated case and feel confident that we'll be approved. Just make sure the attorney specializes in immigration law, sicnce there are many unscrupulous attorneys who will take a lot of money from you and botch things up while doing so.

Good luck on your journey!

Filed: Other Timeline

PS - Just because the sign says "Attorney At Law" doesn't mean they can handle an immigration case. Some lawyers have egos and think they can handle any sort of scenario just to make a fee. Stay away from these vultures.

And just because a lawyer may have processed Employment Visas doesn't mean he or she can handle a family-based case.

Look for an expert in family-based petitions. An expert with references.

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
PS - Just because the sign says "Attorney At Law" doesn't mean they can handle an immigration case. Some lawyers have egos and think they can handle any sort of scenario just to make a fee. Stay away from these vultures.

And just because a lawyer may have processed Employment Visas doesn't mean he or she can handle a family-based case.

I agree. The Catch 22 is I don't know how one avoids the attorneys that are primarily selling visa services instead of simply advising clients. For some, the answer will always be that you need their services.

I guess the best protection against that is to adequately prepare before the consultation, so you ask the right questions, get the right answers and are prepared to make your own judgment call.

I knew enough about myself and my case before I traveled to China to be confident I didn't need an attorney but that doesn't work for everybody.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I agree. The Catch 22 is I don't know how one avoids the attorneys that are primarily selling visa services instead of simply advising clients. For some, the answer will always be that you need their services.

I guess the best protection against that is to adequately prepare before the consultation, so you ask the right questions, get the right answers and are prepared to make your own judgment call.

I knew enough about myself and my case before I traveled to China to be confident I didn't need an attorney but that doesn't work for everybody.

Do you mean finding an attorney who offers good service?

That's where referrals come into play. Ask around. Be bold. Ask for their credentials - if they belong to any professional associations for immigration lawyers such as AILA. If they are AILA affiliated, I believe you may be able to contact AILA regarding references or complaints. If you don't know someone personally who has used them, ask for their success record. Ask about their staff - if they have any other partners or associates on board who also are credentialed and what those credentials are (I have found that many immigration attorneys were formerly on staff in some capacity with INS or with the US Attorneys office). Ask them how often they personally handle the file - paralegals and secretaries are great but the responsibility for the end product lies on the shoulders of the attorney. He or she should be reviewing the case file before it goes out to DHS.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My perspective is (this is coming from someone who has been screwed..and not in a good way..by attorneys), an attorney is a poor idea unless you have a complicated case. I feel this because YOU care about the outcome more than a third party does, and YOU will triple-quadruple check everything and be MORE thorough than a third party. There have been recent cases in dallas where people have been deported and banned for ten years because their attorneys have made mistakes. You will have ONE case to file whereas an attorney has multiple clients at one time. It's a simple case of American individuals being trained in the CYA aspect of things. An attorney has no incentive to C YOUR A. Get the drift? :thumbs:

"The course of true love never did run smooth" - William Shakespeare

K1:

10/29/05...met online

11/23/05...met in person for the first time in London, England

06/29/07...got engaged!

07/19/07...mailed I-129F via certified express overnight mail

08/02/07...check cashed

08/04/07...NOA1 received in mail

12/11/07...NOA2 issued from CRIS email!! YAY!

12/12/07...touch!

12/17/07...received hard copy of noa2

1/14/08.....file reaches NVC

1/28/08.....packet 3 received

2/29/08.....medical interview

4/01/08.....interview

04/03/08...visa in hand!!

04/14/08...POE JFK!

05/17/08...Wedding!

Adjustment of status

06/21/08...Mailed AOS,EAD, and AP paperwork

06/27/08...NOA1

07/17/08...Biometrics

07/29/08...Transferred to CSC

08/21/08...Touch I-485!

08/22/08...Touch I-485!

08/25/08...Received AP in the mail!

08/28/08...Received EAD in the mail!

08/29/08...Email from CRIS welcoming the new permanent resident! YAY!

09/06/08...Green card received in mail!

My perspective is (this is coming from someone who has been screwed..and not in a good way..by attorneys), an attorney is a poor idea unless you have a complicated case. I feel this because YOU care about the outcome more than a third party does, and YOU will triple-quadruple check everything and be MORE thorough than a third party. There have been recent cases in dallas where people have been deported and banned for ten years because their attorneys have made mistakes. You will have ONE case to file whereas an attorney has multiple clients at one time. It's a simple case of American individuals being trained in the CYA aspect of things. An attorney has no incentive to C YOUR A. Get the drift? :thumbs:

GeordieLover -

That's true - for a case with no 'issues'. But sometimes the client does not KNOW if they have issues or not.

I cited this recently and I'll offer it up again. There was a member earlier this year who KNEW his fiancee would need a waiver. He felt he fully understood the scenario and readied her for the visa interview with their personally prepared hardship letters and waiver. The gentlemen felt pretty much as you do - I read several posts of his where he used nearly the exact same language as you use here (bolded by me in your quoted post above).

The waiver was denied. It appears the poor man missed an important 'devilish detail' in his fiancee's case. They have since retained the services of a high-profile immigration attorney for the appeal of the denial. His last few posts here admonished members to consult with an attorney for matters beyond the norm.

What's my point? There are times in life when the services of a professional are necessary. At least allow yourself the opportunity to discover if now is one of those times. As I stated earlier, a GOOD attorney will tell you if you DON'T need to pay him to do what you can do yourself. They are out there and not all that hard to find. In fact, they are usually the members of your local community whom other attorneys will point you to as 'the expert' in a particular area of practice.

Becca

Edited by rebeccajo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.