PeterMcS

I-134: what evidence for my non-standard income and assets?

13 posts in this topic

My fiancee has her interview in Manila, Philippines in a month, and I'm not sure what evidence to provide with my I-134. I have assets over $500K and I've mostly lived off of family money in recent years ($30K+/year in regular monthly autodeposits to my bank). I'm wondering various things: should I present the family money as income, just keep it simple and present assets alone, and what evidence I should present of either?

I've read mixed things about how demanding the State Department is with this. One of the visa legal services websites says: “If you are using assets, you will need 3rd-party proof and verification of the value. This may be stock portfolios, or notarized appraisals or any other proof other than "your word for it". Without 3rd-party evidence, your numbers are almost worthless.” I've also read, right in this forum, "Manila rarely asks for the i134 anyway.  You need to be prepared but a better than average chance it won't even be needed."

My assets are all in cryptocurrency, worth $500K+, about half in a self-directed Roth IRA and the other half in regular taxable assets. All of the IRA is in the largest US-based cryptocurrency exchange; most of the other assets are self-custodied (which is like keeping cash in a safe at home rather than the bank), though I should probably move them to an exchange for now to simplify providing evidence of them. I'm not sure how to provide convincing evidence of this, but I've read that in my state "A notary public may supervise the copying (or printing, as the case may be) of any record and attest to the trueness of the resulting copy or printout." Would notarized printouts from both crypto accounts suffice as evidence?

As I said, I've mostly lived off of family money in recent years; for tax purposes that counts as gifts, so it doesn't appear on my tax returns. I suppose the family money could be demonstrated with a notarized printout of my bank account showing the regular monthly deposits, maybe accompanied by a notarized statement from a parent confirming it's family money. I've read that the Manila Embassy doesn't usually accept joint sponsors (though my family was willing); does that mean they'd disregard regular family income like I get as well?

I'd intended to get full-time work again before my fiancee's interview, but our timeline progressed months quicker than I expected, including my fiancee snagging a canceled interview spot before Christmas. I did have a contract earlier this year ($10K+ for seven weeks), but I don't know if the State Department will care about that. I don't think I'll have full-time employment in the next few weeks, so I just want to make sure she'll be safe to get her visa approved just on my assets and/or family-money income. On her DS-160, my fiancee checked Other under Employment Status, and I'll probably do the same on the I-134, as it seems more accurate than retired or unemployed.

Is it best to keep it simple and just submit the assets, or to submit both the assets and the family money? I gather it's usually income or assets you're supposed to present, but I'll do whatever is best. Either way, should I also submit tax returns, as they don't really show either my income or assets, or can I skip that? And when the instructions say (though indicating optionality with the words as appropriate and or) submit a statement from an officer of the bank, can I skip that, as I don't even know if I could get that from my online-only bank?

Edited by PeterMcS

A notary does not do anything to validate the information contained in a document, so getting something notarized is for the most part valueless.  Most brokerage accounts calculate current value based on the market price as of the statement date so something like this should suffice.

Unless you are older than 59 1/2, your IRA funds will likely not be considered because they are not liquid without incurring a penalty upon withdrawal.

As for the "family" money, not sure how you can demonstrate control or continued availability unless it is in your name and you are the owner of the assets.

Edited by IWander

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

On a similar boat as you. I will be supplying two I-134s:

1. Personal: My own with assets in two Brokerage Accounts, as well at Bank Account Statements. (6x) Months of Each

2. Relative: Their own assets in two Brokerage Accounts, as well at Bank Account Statements. (6x) Months of Each. 2022 Income Tax as well. 

Should be more than sufficient. Did both just in-case they need to see more info, or any questions are raised with my personal file. 

My concern is that I just don't know what's acceptable to them (what the odds of rejection are) and I don't want to take any chances. Just 200K+ in my regular taxed investments should be fine... but maybe they don't like crypto or something, or they're skeptical of my evidence of assets (though I've read that you sign the I-134 and accompanying evidence under penalty of perjury, so it doesn't have to be notarized or anything).

Maybe the best advice I read as I've been researching this is that the sponsor "just get any job now" (though that was said to someone without many assets): that should 100% ensure the visa goes through.

I think I'll throw everything I've got at them, including bank printouts showing the family money income.

Edited by PeterMcS

@PeterMcS I think you're right to be concerned. To me this is this is a red flag:

On 11/18/2023 at 3:39 PM, PeterMcS said:

As I said, I've mostly lived off of family money in recent years; for tax purposes that counts as gifts, so it doesn't appear on my tax returns.

Cannot advice much but to ask a member of your family, who can be eligible, to be a joint sponsor.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by OldUser

23 hours ago, OldUser said:

To me this is this is a red flag (most income being non-taxable):

I've read that you can base your sponsorship on income or assets. If the tax returns don't help my case, should I just leave them out? I was planning on including my last three years of tax transcripts, but only one of those three shows the required level of taxable income.

Also, should I include my contract work from earlier this year? It's not ongoing, but paid an annualized rate of about ~$90K.

21 minutes ago, PokuPoku said:

If you show you have around $50k to $60k in cash in your bank, you'd probably be fine.

I've thought about that. I'd have to sell assets, generating taxable gains, or borrow against them to deposit that much, however. Neither is my first choice.

Edited by PeterMcS

• 4 weeks later...

Following up with the results: My fiancee just got approved! 😀 They didn't even ask her for the I-134 that I was so worried about! This was in the Philippines, so it may be specific to that Embassy, however.

She actually got through her interview faster than anyone else: just a minute or two. We were wondering why it was so easy, and speculated on a few reasons, but we don't really know why.

3 hours ago, PeterMcS said:

Following up with the results: My fiancee just got approved! 😀 They didn't even ask her for the I-134 that I was so worried about! This was in the Philippines, so it may be specific to that Embassy, however.

She actually got through her interview faster than anyone else: just a minute or two. We were wondering why it was so easy, and speculated on a few reasons, but we don't really know why.

I am glad you were successful like I told you so countless times 

• 3 months later...
On 12/19/2023 at 1:25 AM, IWander said:

I am glad you were successful like I told you so countless times 

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/820190-request-for-evidence-on-i-485-regarding-i-864/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.