mw & rg k1

October 2023 - AOS Filers

458 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
17 hours ago, OldUser said:

When I-485 is approved, GC should arrive in 2-4 weeks. I'd wait before that, even though you can travel with AP.

I would agree with OldUser ....

If you MUST travel, then go ... otherwise wait for GC just to be sure
after all, AP and EAD are only required as a temporary measure while GC is processing.
Since it is processed, there would be some extra "faith" in the USCIS documents if you go now.

Timeline
On 1/23/2024 at 1:15 PM, mw & rg k1 said:

https://citizenpath.com/proving-a-bona-fide-marriage/

Some light reading and ideas for I-751 proof of marriage docs to collect.

I had been collecting (even organized) most of these things in folders by month.
Decided to start a google-docs file with the items and photos organized.
Ooph, already hard digging up photos that I thought were going to be easy.

Looks like my future final file will be 125-175 pages or so

2 hours ago, mw & rg k1 said:

I had been collecting (even organized) most of these things in folders by month.
Decided to start a google-docs file with the items and photos organized.
Ooph, already hard digging up photos that I thought were going to be easy.

Looks like my future final file will be 125-175 pages or so

That's OK. I know some people get overwhelmed by evidence volume, but if you read I-751 instructions, they as for as much evidence as you can submit. I sent a lot, and didn't regret it. Approved without RFE or interview.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
7 hours ago, OldUser said:

That's OK. I know some people get overwhelmed by evidence volume, but if you read I-751 instructions, they as for as much evidence as you can submit. I sent a lot, and didn't regret it. Approved without RFE or interview.

Actually, I kept my estimate low on purpose not to scare others here ....

Comment was more about just how fast and easy it is to "misplace" photo or other key story telling features.
Like when my wife met the Sr. VP of my company and had a shared photo a couple days after wedding .... 

Took a bit of time just to find that ... ooph

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hey all, 

I am new to this "Topic"

Filed on September 28. 
PD: October 2nd, 2023. 
State: Washington

Field Office: Seattle.

Has anyone from Washington state already received their GC from with PD as October 2023? 

Starting to collect docs for 2023 taxes and realizing I’m not sure what to do about my spouse. 🫤 We filed AOS on an ESTA waiver so the process is pretty different from most. Technically, at the moment, he is an illegal immigrant because his 90 days has passed. But, based on DOS memos, he is essentially in a “protected status” because the 485 is pending. 

Should he file taxes for 2023? 🤷🏼‍♂️ Going to be an interesting one to figure out. Having a SSN doesn’t make it any easier. 

Edited by eatplaysleep

36 minutes ago, eatplaysleep said:

Starting to collect docs for 2023 taxes and realizing I’m not sure what to do about my spouse. 🫤 We filed AOS on an ESTA waiver so the process is pretty different from most. Technically, at the moment, he is an illegal immigrant because his 90 days has passed. But, based on DOS memos, he is essentially in a “protected status” because the 485 is pending. 

Should he file taxes for 2023? 🤷🏼‍♂️ Going to be an interesting one to figure out. Having a SSN doesn’t make it any easier. 

He must file taxes if he's a tax resident from IRS perspective (check rules, depends whether he spent 183 days in the US in the last 3 years).

Failure to file taxes is punishable by law.

IRS tax residence is different to legal permanent residence. He may not be a resident in legal sense. But he may be a tax resident.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline

Ok. ... this was fun

GC in hand since 26 Dec 2024.

Today, got this notification that EAD/AP was terminated.  One deeper look, denied 4 days after GC was approved ... all of that makes sense (sort of) as EAD/AP apply if GC is in process.  Stange that they seemed to back date the "denial" AND now the "explanation letter" is already 3 weeks behind.

Just an FYI to expect strange things (even beyond the circle-k)

Screenshot_20240208_121513_CaseTrack.jpg

Edited by mw & rg k1
Photo fix

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

AP arrived today, separate from EAD card, which was strange as most others have received it as a combo card.

RFE for I-693 Medical was picked up from the Civil surgeon this morning and was then mailed out today with an overnight delivery to the San Bernardino field office, we only livev60 miles from the office.  Should be there by early afternoon tomorrow, and yes its a 3 day weekend due to Mondays holiday, ergo why we expedited it by overnighting it.

Keeping my fingers crossed it gets reviewed next week and my wife's GC gets approved.

On another note, with her EAD in hand she was able to obtain her California ID card from DMV, that also arrived in the mail today.

Edited by ThailandR

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hey everyone, hope you are all doing well....we are looking for advice. Everyone here seems to be moving along in the EAD and AOS process and ours is still in "finger prints received" from our biometrics appointment that was a month ago. Feeling a bit lost. I submitted an inquiry and was told our case is not outside of normal processing time.

Any advice? Anyone else still in this phase?

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline
1 hour ago, SaraClaire11 said:

Hey everyone, hope you are all doing well....we are looking for advice. Everyone here seems to be moving along in the EAD and AOS process and ours is still in "finger prints received" from our biometrics appointment that was a month ago. Feeling a bit lost. I submitted an inquiry and was told our case is not outside of normal processing time.

Any advice? Anyone else still in this phase?

Thanks!

You're not the only one waiting for the AOS I-485, we are at the same point in the process as well. Also if you look further you can see that only a select few here in the October filers have already received their green cards. They got lucky, it happens, no one can really explain or know what they're doing at USCIS Field offices. I don't believe in any sort of trick like sending unsolicited evidence or what have you. The AOS has never been a quick process, when we started this we always expected like anywhere between 6-14 months.

We're not anywhere near outside normal processing times, so keep your head up, we're all just waiting for the processing to finish up.

Edited by badwolfxi

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
12 hours ago, badwolfxi said:

You're not the only one waiting for the AOS I-485, we are at the same point in the process as well. Also if you look further you can see that only a select few here in the October filers have already received their green cards. They got lucky, it happens, no one can really explain or know what they're doing at USCIS Field offices. I don't believe in any sort of trick like sending unsolicited evidence or what have you. The AOS has never been a quick process, when we started this we always expected like anywhere between 6-14 months.

We're not anywhere near outside normal processing times, so keep your head up, we're all just waiting for the processing to finish up.

Thank you for your insight, it's just been hard to navigate this process, the wait for our K1 visa was longer than most (663 days) so I just get frustrated thinking we have been put on the back burner again. Hopefully we will get some much needed updates soon!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, SaraClaire11 said:

Thank you for your insight, it's just been hard to navigate this process, the wait for our K1 visa was longer than most (663 days) so I just get frustrated thinking we have been put on the back burner again. Hopefully we will get some much needed updates soon!

692 here! 

Timeline
19 hours ago, SaraClaire11 said:

Agree that all of these process steps ( and even the more to come) has been absurd.

we were 631 days in k-1 process as well with a huge (information black hole) gap added between 129F approval and NVC receive.

We consider ourselves very lucky to be an early GC and encourage you to read this entire board ... even us, like many other early recipients needed to "fix" our submission. 

On 2/9/2024 at 12:03 AM, badwolfxi said:

We are in the same boat - no news since our biometrics in October :( 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.