mw & rg k1

October 2023 - AOS Filers

464 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
11 minutes ago, ThailandR said:

I agree, the my progress tab now shows 5 months for the GC and the EAD says taking lo ger than expected, the AP says 5 months.  No new documents produced on any of the 3......

Happy for all of those who have succeeded. My wife is worried that we will have to sell up here in the US and move back overseas to SE Asia.  No way will she go back to Myanmar as it's in a civil war.

Assure her that you don't have to move back .... it will happen .... in time .... just sucks that there is no clear indication as to when

On 12/28/2023 at 10:05 AM, ThailandR said:

RFE was for I-864.  They didn't pay any attention to my verification of income letter for my pension.  Said they needed more info, so they got 12 months of Pension Pay Stubs, an updated verification letter indicating the monthly amount, lifetime benefit. Also sent them 12 months of bank statements for all my checking and savings accounts as well as my Roth IRAs.  My retirement income is only partially taxed so the Total income box on the Tax transcripts does not tell the whole story.  I sent them the last 3 years 1099R's so they could see the income and sent a Letter of Explanation as far as my circumstances.  I make over 100k a year from my Pension and it's not an annuity like they probably thought and not only a once a year withdrawal. That's why I sent them everything but the kitchen sink.  All in all I sent over 400 pages.

I currently just picked up a job, so I sent them that verification of emoyment letter as well as listing my assets.

Now processing it, so we will see what occurs.

oh wow thanks for info!

I just got the letter for RFE for I-864 too. It doesn't make any sense as we gave them all the info that would prove ability to sponsor. so really at a loss of how else to resubmit the same thing...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Tere2022 said:

oh wow thanks for info!

I just got the letter for RFE for I-864 too. It doesn't make any sense as we gave them all the info that would prove ability to sponsor. so really at a loss of how else to resubmit the same thing...

Double check your I-864 copy you made for yourselves, I hope you did make a copy. Check the 3 years income listed and make sure you put the right amounts in those boxes. That was my 1st issue I found. The amounts need to be above the 125% poverty level.  My other issue was the household number as I listed my spouse twice. The Married box should be a 0 as the spouse is already listed in the Top box as your sponsoring them. My other issues were as I listed in that post and why I sent them everything but the kitchen sink.

Edited by ThailandR

45 minutes ago, ThailandR said:

Double check your I-864 copy you made for yourselves, I hope you did make a copy. Check the 3 years income listed and make sure you put the right amounts in those boxes. That was my 1st issue I found. The amounts need to be above the 125% poverty level.  My other issue was the household number as I listed my spouse twice. The Married box should be a 0 as the spouse is already listed in the Top box as your sponsoring them. My other issues were as I listed in that post and why I sent them everything but the kitchen sink.

Thanks for the tips. 

We actually got my sister to joint sponsor. I have the copy of my own part but did not copy her part. In any case, I suspect that partially it is because I lived abroad and did not have US income. I did file a tax return in the US so listed the amount as "income" on the form, but I ultimately did not pay taxes on them in the US since I paid abroad already. I supplemented with assets though. My sister however does have US income so not sure why that doesn't work as well...

Will double check but maybe also seek legal advice on this...

Edited by Tere2022

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
19 hours ago, mw & rg k1 said:

Don't use myProgress for any "Hope" or it is "False Hope" ... sorry to say.

We received the physical GC on 12/26/2023 and the status online says that it has been picked up by the post office ... not even delivered.
Our EAD and AP shows in progress (in text when searching for case number) and case closed on USCIS account.

Unfortunately, the "Status" is very poor ....
Seems that the best way to know that things are done (or needing more work) is to review the "Documents" tab under each case number.
We got the "Approval letter" for GC well before the others this way.
Not that you can do much about anything with USCIS process.

On a side note, currently fighting with Credit Reporting Agencies to get her identified.
Seems that something isn't quite right with the records there and they are (often) asking for a Drivers License.
It blows my mind that a GC isn't accepted as a form of ID.

Thanks for your help...

I hope your situation gets resolved quickly.

Honestly, cant count on USCIS for anything they just decide to work whenever and however they want to i guess..

Timeline

Emma re-emerges ....

The phone answering assistant at Experian is seeming to be using the same underlying "keep them away" technology as Emma.

Went through the phone system and ran into "I can only transfer people under certain circumstances ... if you want to use the automated system, press 1. To end this call press 2."

Ugh ... thought I was done with that kind of silly at least for a while.
(unfortunately, something is off with my ladies SSN and can't do a number of basic things like signing up a credit Karma account or even one with any of the agencies)

Timeline

Gotta love the MyProgress tab for the I-485. A few days ago it said 2 months, then it went to 5 months and today it says 7 months, while the EAD still shows taking longer than expected.......such a cluster. No other documents have been listed either. In essence the program is unreliable.

Hi everyone!

Posting my question here to see if anyone else had a similar issue.

NOA1 11/14

Biometrics letter on 12/2

Completed biometrics 12/20 but the case status still says "Biometrics scheduled".  

We didn't do biometrics before the scheduled date like a lot of others have done.

I asked Emma but the response was that your case is within normal processing time. 

I'm getting super worried because I see a lot of folks had their status changed to "actively being reviewed" within a few days in the Oct, Nov threads.

Any input would be appreciated!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I'm going to ask here as it seems this thread is more active and have more people who know...

Question 1: do K1 -> AOS filers usually not need an interview?

Question 2: after doing biometrics on January 2nd, our case was updated as biometrics completed. The time at that point for estimated decision was 5 months but yesterday it updated to 2 months. How realistic does anything think this is?

image.thumb.png.69ef45ce534bdf153fdda486685bf66d.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Update here: I asked Emma (a live rep) and they said my case is still with NBC, not transferred to a local field office. They also let me know after asking that our case had the interview waived and we won't need that (we are filing from K1 visa).

Timeline
47 minutes ago, 2hon said:

Update here: I asked Emma (a live rep) and they said my case is still with NBC, not transferred to a local field office. They also let me know after asking that our case had the interview waived and we won't need that (we are filing from K1 visa).

If you read back in this thread, In general the myProgress has been worthless in estimating anything ....
Similarly, there is no transparency with transfers between NBC and local Offices ....

I wish I had better news or a way to improve visability .... but best of luck on your case.

Timeline
32 minutes ago, mw & rg k1 said:

If you read back in this thread, In general the myProgress has been worthless in estimating anything ....
Similarly, there is no transparency with transfers between NBC and local Offices ....

I wish I had better news or a way to improve visability .... but best of luck on your case.

As I said in an earlier post I dont believe that the MyProgress tab is very worthy as an indicator.  My wife just checked and the Status for the I-485 shows 1 month, while the EAD has gone from "Taking longer than expected" to now showing 4 weeks.  We shall see how this actually changes next week as time progresses out.  I did submit "Unsolicited evidence" for the I-485 earlier this week in reference to the Public Charge question many of us seem to have answered incorrectly instead of waiting for an RFE.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 1/5/2024 at 5:09 PM, ThailandR said:

As I said in an earlier post I dont believe that the MyProgress tab is very worthy as an indicator.  My wife just checked and the Status for the I-485 shows 1 month, while the EAD has gone from "Taking longer than expected" to now showing 4 weeks.  We shall see how this actually changes next week as time progresses out.  I did submit "Unsolicited evidence" for the I-485 earlier this week in reference to the Public Charge question many of us seem to have answered incorrectly instead of waiting for an RFE.

When submitting the unsolicited evidence regarding the public charge question, did you submit an entirely new I-485 signing it with todays date, or did you just correct the pages that needed to be corrected and signed those? Also, did you only upload this online or did you also send it by mail? I answered the question wrong as well :(

44 minutes ago, Linn1 said:

When submitting the unsolicited evidence regarding the public charge question, did you submit an entirely new I-485 signing it with todays date, or did you just correct the pages that needed to be corrected and signed those? Also, did you only upload this online or did you also send it by mail? I answered the question wrong as well :(

@Linn1

I have not been in the forum for a few months but was catching up on Friday and realized I too answered this one wrong. 😑 

We have been experiencing the 4 months to 4 weeks to 4 months back and forth so I’ve been getting annoyed. 

I resubmitted (online via unsolicited evidence) just the two pages with corrected answers on Friday, each one initialed, and a cover letter with explanation. That’s based on what previous posters did who had not YET received an RFE

Hoping it is sufficient! Haven’t heard anything yet but will update once I do. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.