Visitor User

Dual Citizen or not?

39 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

I have NICOP so I don’t need a Visa to enter Pakistan for whatever time I want.

Looks like being a Pakistani citizen is a requirement to have NICOP - https://www.nadra.gov.pk/identity/identity-nicop/

If you renounce Pakistan's citizenship I'm not 100% sure you'll be eligible for NICOP.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
14 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Looks like being a Pakistani citizen is a requirement to have NICOP - https://www.nadra.gov.pk/identity/identity-nicop/

If you renounce Pakistan's citizenship I'm not 100% sure you'll be eligible for NICOP.

Oh ok.

Has anyone had to join the military in Pakistan being a dual citizen?

NICOP IS dual-nationality. NICOP is just a CNIC where "country of stay" is some country other than Pakistan.

So really two questions:

1) Is there any advantage of having a passport in addition to NICOP. NO.

2) Should you renounce Pakistani citizenship and get a POC card instead. Up to you. The main reason people do this is if they are very wealthy - Pakistan has reduced the definition of tax residence to only 4 months for Pakistani citizens, and Pakistani tax authorities are starting to get very aggressive. So if you have a lot of assets, getting a POC card instead of NICOP might have an advantage. Otherwise, don't bother.

Timeline
1 hour ago, kas123 said:

NICOP IS dual-nationality. NICOP is just a CNIC where "country of stay" is some country other than Pakistan.

So really two questions:

1) Is there any advantage of having a passport in addition to NICOP. NO.

2) Should you renounce Pakistani citizenship and get a POC card instead. Up to you. The main reason people do this is if they are very wealthy - Pakistan has reduced the definition of tax residence to only 4 months for Pakistani citizens, and Pakistani tax authorities are starting to get very aggressive. So if you have a lot of assets, getting a POC card instead of NICOP might have an advantage. Otherwise, don't bother.

I only plan on going to Pakistan for vacations. So let my Pakistan passport expire and keep renewing NICOP?

Edited by Visitor User

8 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

I only plan on going to Pakistan for vacations. So let my Pakistan passport expire and keep renewing NICOP?

Citizenship does not stop with expired passport. Many Americans (and I'm sure many Pakistanis) do not have passports of their countries, though they're citizens.

Some countries require their citizens to enter and leave the country on their passport. E.g. USA requires US citizens to enter and leave USA on US passport even if they have other citizenships. I'm not sure if Pakistan requires their citizens to enter Pakistan on Pakistan's passport. You may need to research it.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Citizenship does not stop with expired passport. Many Americans (and I'm sure many Pakistanis) do not have passports of their countries, though they're citizens.

Some countries require their citizens to enter and leave the country on their passport. E.g. USA requires US citizens to enter and leave USA on US passport even if they have other citizenships. I'm not sure if Pakistan requires their citizens to enter Pakistan on Pakistan's passport. You may need to research it.

True it doesn’t. NICOP is good enough to enter Pakistan and exit. 

11 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

True it doesn’t. NICOP is good enough to enter Pakistan and exit. 

Looks like you're right:

https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/123363/is-it-mandatory-for-a-dual-citizen-to-have-a-nicop-to-enter-exit-pakistan

I don't see the reason to renew Pakistani's passport in this case unless you have other reasons doing it.

Timeline
21 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Looks like you're right:

https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/123363/is-it-mandatory-for-a-dual-citizen-to-have-a-nicop-to-enter-exit-pakistan

I don't see the reason to renew Pakistani's passport in this case unless you have other reasons doing it.

Yes. 

• 1 month later...
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Chancy said:

*** Moved from Passports sub-forum to the Asia: South regional forum -- original topic is about citizenship other than US ***

Thanks.

On 10/16/2023 at 6:31 PM, OldUser said:

NICOPs are ID cards given to CITIZENS. 

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

On 10/22/2023 at 5:31 PM, Visitor User said:

What are others doing that are from Pakistan?

The majority of people keep their Pakistani citizenship unintentionally.  That is to say, most assume that it went away when they naturalize in the US, but this is not true.  So between those cases, and those who choose to maintain NICOPs, the majority do not renounce their Pakistani citizenship. 

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have never come across this and I would think US immigrants are somewhat different to say UK, actually quite the opposite.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.