Rollitup1

N-400 question about ever been in jail [merged threads]

13 posts in this topic

On the form N-400 part 12 question 28. I was arrested in Oman and disclosed that in the fiance visa application and the green card application because it asked i was ever in jail anywhere in the world, but on the citizenship application it doesn't say anywhere in the world it just says have you ever been in jail or prison.

Do I disclose this ?

31 minutes ago, Rollitup1 said:

On the form N-400 part 12 question 28. I was arrested in Oman and disclosed that in the fiance visa application and the green card application because it asked i was ever in jail anywhere in the world, but on the citizenship application it doesn't say anywhere in the world it just says have you ever been in jail or prison.

Do I disclose this ?

Even if they ask 10 times in 10 different ways in application, please mention that you were jailed. As you see they asked the same thing but didn't say anywhere in the world, but the question is still the same "if you have ever been jailed" or "if you have ever been jailed anywhere in the world" Answer should remain the same and must be disclosed on any immigration or federal related applications.

When you disclose on N400 that you were jailed, also make a little description that you were jailed in Oman on such and such date and why were you jailed for.

I am not a lawyer so don't take my words for sure, but i am certian others on this forum would suggest you the same thing.

Edited by MunnoTheCat

12 minutes ago, MunnoTheCat said:

Even if they ask 10 times in 10 different ways in application, please mention that you were jailed. As you see they asked the same thing but didn't say anywhere in the world, but the question is still the same "if you have ever been jailed" or "if you have ever been jailed anywhere in the world" Answer should remain the same and must be disclosed on any immigration or federal related applications.

When you disclose on N400 that you were jailed, also make a little description that you were jailed in Oman on such and such date and why were you jailed for.

I am not a lawyer so don't take my words for sure, but i am certian others on this forum would suggest you the same thing.

Another thing i need to ask you. You said you were arrested back in Oman. Did you serve any jail time because of that arrest? If so, how long were you been in jail for?

Yes you should

2/13/23 Mailed application to USCIS

2/15/23 USCIS Received Application 

2/25/23 USCIS Scheduled for bio appointment (online update)

3/15/23 Bio appointment 

3/15/23 Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

7/25/23 Interview was scheduled  

20 minutes ago, MunnoTheCat said:

Another thing i need to ask you. You said you were arrested back in Oman. Did you serve any jail time because of that arrest? If so, how long were you been in jail for?

Thanks everyone I will disclose that again. I ran away from my employer because of abuse, she keep my passport and I was arrested for not having a passport. I stayed in jail for two months until the embassy was able to get me home. 

On 9/30/2023 at 8:56 PM, Rollitup1 said:

Thanks everyone I will disclose that again. I ran away from my employer because of abuse, she keep my passport and I was arrested for not having a passport. I stayed in jail for two months until the embassy was able to get me home. 

Make sure you put the description of it so USCIS know. Not every arrest lead to the jail time, but as it did in your case, you should mention it as you did in the past. There isn't anything to worry about and i hope your case gets through smoothly. Keep us posted.

Back in 2009 I was arrested in Oman for not having a visa and put in jail for two months until the embassy got me home. On the citizenship application instructions it says I need to bring original records of arrest and jail time. I had an original police clearance from Oman that I handed to the us embassy at the time of my interview for the fiance visa. Does immigration still have my original police clearance or do I need to get another one? Thanks in advance 

Edited by Rollitup1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I would do your best to get another one as I would not assume it was added to the file.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

• Chancy changed the title to N-400 question about ever been in jail [merged threads]
On 9/30/2023 at 6:56 PM, Rollitup1 said:

I ran away from my employer because of abuse, she keep my passport and I was arrested for not having a passport. I stayed in jail for two months until the embassy was able to get me home.

I am sorry this happened to you. Did you file a police report against your employer for withholding your passport? Having a record of that might be useful if you are asked questions about the arrest and jail time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

You will need a new copy, this time make copies of it as you will always need it.

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.