M+K IL

What if, after naturalization with name change, SSN and W-2 was not updated in time?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Our judicial oath ceremony is scheduled for 8/25, and per the suggestions on this forum we are thinking of getting passports and passport cards first, /then/ using the passport card when updating our names on our Social Security cards, then using that to update bank accounts, names used for payroll, etc.

Problem is... expedited processing now takes an estimated 7-9 weeks, and normal processing takes 10-13. Not including mailing time.

What happens if, say, we end up with W-2s with our old names?

And... Given this timeline - is taking an emergency trip out of the country to qualify for an urgent travel appointment the only recourse? We also thought of using expeditors but a) are not sure how much faster it is, and b) are told on another forum that those are currently not allowed to operate

Thanks!

US entry :

GC issued :
CIS Office :

2016 (me, H-1B) / 2017 (her, H-4)

2018-06-20

Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2023-03-22

NOA Date :

Bio. Appt. Notice :

2023-03-22

2023-03-24

Bio. Appt. :

2023-04-13

Interview Notice :

Interview Date :

Oath Ceremony :

2023-05-24

2023-07-13 (approved)

TBD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Sounds like you should get your passports after your SS cards and DLs are updated.

Are you up to speed on the separate change of name document that the court has to issue?  

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Sounds like you should get your passports after your SS cards and DLs are updated

Thanks... Yeah I guess in this case I'll have to take the risk the SSA loses the naturalization certificate, sigh.

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Are you up to speed on the separate change of name document that the court has to issue?  

It should be a separate document attached to the naturalization certificate, and I can ask the court to provide additional copies, right? Is there anything else I should know?

US entry :

GC issued :
CIS Office :

2018-06-20

Chicago IL

NOA Date :

Bio. Appt. Notice :

2023-03-22

2023-03-24

Bio. Appt. :

2023-04-13

Interview Notice :

Interview Date :

Oath Ceremony :

2023-05-24

2023-07-13 (approved)

TBD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
49 minutes ago, M+K IL said:

Thanks... Yeah I guess in this case I'll have to take the risk the SSA loses the naturalization certificate, sigh

Not possible. You go to SSA with it. You leave SSA with it.

50 minutes ago, M+K IL said:

It should be a separate document attached to the naturalization certificate

sometimes

50 minutes ago, M+K IL said:

and I can ask the court to provide additional copies, right?

If the court knows what is doing.

Timeline
34 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Not possible. You go to SSA with it. You leave SSA with it.

Oh, good to know, thanks! There are threads where people talk about the SSA office losing documents, I wonder if those are because the procedure was different during COVID closures.

From the SSA website they didn't say if documents are taken for processing or returned, so we ended up worrying. Thank you!

34 minutes ago, Mike E said:

US entry :

GC issued :
CIS Office :

2018-06-20

Chicago IL

NOA Date :

Bio. Appt. Notice :

2023-03-22

2023-03-24

Bio. Appt. :

2023-04-13

Interview Notice :

Interview Date :

Oath Ceremony :

2023-05-24

2023-07-13 (approved)

TBD

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
6 hours ago, M+K IL said:

Oh, good to know, thanks! There are threads where people talk about the SSA office losing documents, I wonder if those are because the procedure was different during COVID closures.

From the SSA website they didn't say if documents are taken for processing or returned, so we ended up worrying. Thank you!

Yup, during covid a lot of SSA office didn't allow in-person appointments, so you had to send your documents via mail. And they returned them via mail to you. I didn't go for that so I waited until my local office allowed in-person appointments again. It was about 8 months after the oath. 

The covid restrictions haven't been a thing for a long time now, like Mike said, you go there with your documents and you leave with them too. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.