cuongvt101

Should I apply SSN for my (now) wife before AOS?

5 posts in this topic

What's the benefit of having SSN in advance?

One thing I know is that in next year's tax filing, in order to claim my (now) wife as a dependent, she needs to have an SSN. But in the I-485 form, there's a field to apply for SSN too, and I don't know if the Social Security Card will come WITH the Green card, or is it processed separately (and thus will come in about 2 weeks).

Is there any other reasons? Thanks

~~ Topic moved from K1 forum to SSN forum ~~

If eligible to apply upon arrival for a certain period of time (75 days out of 90), why not? It makes life much easier for a new immigrant.

Edited by powerpuff

5 hours ago, cuongvt101 said:

One thing I know is that in next year's tax filing, in order to claim my (now) wife as a dependent, she needs to have an SSN. But in the I-485 form, there's a field to apply for SSN too, and I don't know if the Social Security Card will come WITH the Green card, or is it processed separately (and thus will come in about 2 weeks).

If you apply for the SSN with GC or EAD it will come after that benefit is issued (and separately). Not two weeks after you apply for the GC/EAD.

If you are not planning to obtain the SSN now- are you planning on applying for EAD and AP for your wife or just I-485?

Edited by Redro

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 8/8/2023 at 1:29 AM, cuongvt101 said:

First, you don't claim your spouse as a dependent, you file jointly with them.

Second, after the GC/EAD is approved, USCIS sends the application to the SSA, so it might be 2 weeks, it might be 10. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.