n8lol

Canadian Looking to Make the Move

30 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I quite like the idea of you sponsoring your Father, would just need to meet the requirements for 2

You have a Joint Sponsor lined up so that is good.

Presumably they live in the house.

So the sponsor we have is my mother's sibling. they live in the US and work there. They have a high income and is single with no dependents. 

My older brother is a USC through CRBA and would be moving with us. Is he able to sponsor? He has a good income but is living with us in Canada.

13 minutes ago, n8lol2 said:

So the sponsor we have is my mother's sibling. they live in the US and work there. They have a high income and is single with no dependents. 

My older brother is a USC through CRBA and would be moving with us. Is he able to sponsor? He has a good income but is living with us in Canada.

I meant to ask if he can joint sponsor - not the primary sponsor. 

I already replied you on Reddit.

You can use her original C of Naturalization, copy of her passport.  Explain that she is going in to renew passport if it’s the same day.  Maybe she can come with you to your appt.

I thought Reddit was unanimous on your claim to citizenship, but lawyers IRL said no.  You should absolutely get them on written record saying you need i-130 and get your $ back.  I would still report them to the state bar.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
26 minutes ago, n8lol2 said:

Yes, she will require her passport for her appointment.

Does your appointment ask for her passport

27 minutes ago, n8lol2 said:

We do have our house that is completely paid off and worth about $1M CAD at this point in time. Would that home count as an asset and replace the income?  

If the home is sold and the proceeds sitting in a USD U.S. bank account in the U.S., probably.

Timeline
33 minutes ago, n8lol2 said:

My older brother is a USC through CRBA

So why don’t you have a CRBA now?

34 minutes ago, n8lol2 said:

Is he able to sponsor? He has a good income but is living with us in Canada

He can file I-130 for your father.

21 minutes ago, n8lol2 said:

meant to ask if he can joint sponsor - not the primary sponsor. 

He does not live in the U.S.  So, no.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, manyfudge said:

I think this is OP.  They did for 1 kid, not others.

My dad is a US Citizen (wasn't born in the US, just moved there when he was young). 

My mom is a Canadian so she will need to be sponsored 

Gender swap?

I’ve contributed all I can, and given the details of this case confuse me, I don’t wish to argue or bicker, so I won’t post more in this thread. 

Ok I'll explain the confusion since it's out there now. We're keeping our immigration goals private just for identification purposes. I didn't want potential family members (who browse Reddit a lot) to catch wind given the details are very specific and it'll stir up some interesting discussions to say the least. The chances of them finding the post to begin with are slim, but as I mentioned, we wanted to keep it private. The details on this post are 100% accurate since I doubt anyone of them would be checking visajourney. I hope this clears the confusion. @manyfudge @Mike E.

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Does your appointment ask for her passport

Yes, https://ca.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/citizenship-claims/ -- Evidence of U.S. Citizenship of Parent(s). U.S. passport, Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a U.S. birth certificate bearing the impression seal of the vital records office that issued it and including the date of filing.

As manyfudge mentioned, I'll make a copy of her passport and explain to the officer that she is in today to renew her passport. If needed, I'll see if we can pull her in from her appointment to support mine.

Regarding joint sponsorship, if I understood correctly we can have my aunt (mom's sister who is living in the US) and my mom file that together.

Edited by n8lol2

7 minutes ago, n8lol2 said:

U.S. passport, Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a U.S. birth certificate bearing the impression seal of the vital records office that issued it and including the date of filing.

Note the “or” - any one of those documents.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Duplicate account has been closed. New members have a post limit and need to wait it out. Please allow the OP some time to be able to post again.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 2 weeks later...

I am filling my DS-11 form out and had a question. On page two of the DS-11 instructions, the right side of the page applies to me, which says, "Claiming Citizenship through Naturalization of One or Both Parent(s)". However, under this section, there are 4 bullet points and it mentions I must submit all of the following information:

• Your parent(s) Certificate(s) of Naturalization
  • Your parents' marriage/certificate and/or evidence that you were in the legal and physical custody of your U.S. citizen parent, if applicable
  • Your foreign birth certificate (and official translation if the document is not in English)
  • Your evidence of admission to the United States for legal permanent residence and proof you subsequently resided in the United States

The 4th bullet point is a problem for me as I'm born in Canada and never had proof of residing in the US. Is this talking about me or my US Citizen parent?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
23 minutes ago, n8lol said:

I am filling my DS-11 form out and had a question. On page two of the DS-11 instructions, the right side of the page applies to me, which says, "Claiming Citizenship through Naturalization of One or Both Parent(s)". However, under this section, there are 4 bullet points and it mentions I must submit all of the following information:

• Your parent(s) Certificate(s) of Naturalization
  • Your parents' marriage/certificate and/or evidence that you were in the legal and physical custody of your U.S. citizen parent, if applicable
  • Your foreign birth certificate (and official translation if the document is not in English)
  • Your evidence of admission to the United States for legal permanent residence and proof you subsequently resided in the United States

The 4th bullet point is a problem for me as I'm born in Canada and never had proof of residing in the US. Is this talking about me or my US Citizen parent?

You are not claiming through naturalization of a parent. This is when a minor living with the naturalizing  parent is eligible automatically to be naturalized. Your application is based on having a parent who was as USC at your time of birth and who meets the required US residency rules for eligibility to pass on her USC to you 

4 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

You are not claiming through naturalization of a parent. This is when a minor living with the naturalizing  parent is eligible automatically to be naturalized. Your application is based on having a parent who was as USC at your time of birth and who meets the required US residency rules for eligibility to pass on her USC to you 

Ok, apologies but I am confused now.

I should apply under Claiming Citizenship through Birth Abroad to At Least one U.S. Citizen Parent. and NOT Claiming Citizenship through Naturalization of One or Both Parent(s). As a result, I will also need to complete DS-5507. 

Thank you for your help.

Edited by n8lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.