JanaknJanet

Child support enforcement at work

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

OH MY goodnesss..

Got a major surprise this afternoon...

just a bit of background on the situation...

My x-husband.. youngest daughters father.. has not paid support and is in arrears along with back support for close to $94K. Two years ago the state of Oregon took the case to grand jury for back support owed... making a decision to file a warrant for his arrest. After that was done I managed to get a month of payments hahah.... of 3 checks of about $200 each.. then once again it stopped.

District attorney here stated that he could make a offer to pay off support and offer to get arrears lowered.. but it would not change the fact that he has a warrant for arrest...

well... evidently it was a fugitive warrant.. not sure what the difference is of that to a regular warrant...

so here we are .. almost two years later.. . this afternoon about 3:30pm my phone rang... hello.. hello.. may i speak to janet... Yes this is she.. the lady on the other end. states she is calling in reference to .. XXXXX .. who I ask.. she said.. your x-husband.. and I said.. and?? she said she was his wife. and.. wanted to seek my help since he got arrested..

WHAT... I wanted to jump and scream WHOO HOOO... but held back the excitement.. .. this lady continued on .. saying that he was arrested on Thursday and was having a very difficult time in there... and the children are missing their father... .. (NOT his bio children.. HER CHILDREN My daughter is his only child.. ) OHhh soo sad for him. i said.. yeah right.. this woman wanted me to pitition to the judge to release him... so he can be with the family... .. I just about laughed out loud... .. How can someone living with someone knowing that is owing and avoiding support.. ask the person that is owed to forgive and request his release...

I told her she is just as bad as he was for she knew all these 14 years of the situation and continued to ignore the pititions for support. I told her.. that if roles were reversed she would not have sympathy either... actually I am thrilled for him to be in jail.. my comment is.. why should he be allowed to live as if nothing is going on.. living freely.. while his daughter goes without...

I am totally excited.. knowing that justice is getting served.. .. granted some people may say .. if he was in jail how can he pay me support... well. heck.. I haven't gotten any anyhow so .. him in jail might just be what he needs.

SOOO.. looks like I will be making a call to the Lawyer in the morning..

Im just happy the system actually is working.. ..

Any thoughts? anyone ever gone through this?

Edited by JanaknJanet

Love isn't love unless it is expressed;

caring isn't caring unless the other person knows;

sharing isn't sharing unless the other person is included

OH MY goodnesss..

Got a major surprise this afternoon...

just a bit of background on the situation...

My x-husband.. youngest daughters father.. has not paid support and is in arrears along with back support for close to $94K. Two years ago the state of Oregon took the case to grand jury for back support owed... making a decision to file a warrant for his arrest. After that was done I managed to get a month of payments hahah.... of 3 checks of about $200 each.. then once again it stopped.

District attorney here stated that he could make a offer to pay off support and offer to get arrears lowered.. but it would not change the fact that he has a warrant for arrest...

well... evidently it was a fugitive warrant.. not sure what the difference is of that to a regular warrant...

so here we are .. almost two years later.. . this afternoon about 3:30pm my phone rang... hello.. hello.. may i speak to janet... Yes this is she.. the lady on the other end. states she is calling in reference to .. XXXXX .. who I ask.. she said.. your x-husband.. and I said.. and?? she said she was his wife. and.. wanted to seek my help since he got arrested..

WHAT... I wanted to jump and scream WHOO HOOO... but held back the excitement.. .. this lady continued on .. saying that he was arrested on Thursday and was having a very difficult time in there... and the children are missing their father... .. (NOT his bio children.. HER CHILDREN My daughter is his only child.. ) OHhh soo sad for him. i said.. yeah right.. this woman wanted me to pitition to the judge to release him... so he can be with the family... .. I just about laughed out loud... .. How can someone living with someone knowing that is owing and avoiding support.. ask the person that is owed to forgive and request his release...

I told her she is just as bad as he was for she knew all these 14 years of the situation and continued to ignore the pititions for support. I told her.. that if roles were reversed she would not have sympathy either... actually I am thrilled for him to be in jail.. my comment is.. why should he be allowed to live as if nothing is going on.. living freely.. while his daughter goes without...

I am totally excited.. knowing that justice is getting served.. .. granted some people may say .. if he was in jail how can he pay me support... well. heck.. I haven't gotten any anyhow so .. him in jail might just be what he needs.

SOOO.. looks like I will be making a call to the Lawyer in the morning..

Im just happy the system actually is working.. ..

Any thoughts? anyone ever gone through this?

After 14 years, Its good to see your happy. I pay support every month without fail. Equal time with them? Of course not.

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wowzers.. If I'm calculating this right - 14 years of child support / 12 months = less than 600$ / month in child support payments.. HOLY FLIP.. that's peanuts for support.. what a piece of work this man is that he couldn't give this "meager" amount to his child!! *sigh... Congrads on the victory!

I too have a husband who pays faithfully his support payments (actually gives more than required) each week. My husband would give any amount to his children to meet their needs..

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

the actual breakdown is.. $475 in support.. and since he is so far past due... the interest arrarages (sp) are currently at $525. total each month $1000..

As far as visitation.. Judge actually took his rights away long ago.. due to abuse.

so damn right im happy!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
the actual breakdown is.. $475 in support.. and since he is so far past due... the interest arrarages (sp) are currently at $525. total each month $1000..

As far as visitation.. Judge actually took his rights away long ago.. due to abuse.

so damn right im happy!

Good for you for protecting and fighting for your child's rights.. You have my respect and admiration for the role you have played in your child's life!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Kudos for you Janet! My x pays a minimal amount for child support and gripes that he's being taken advantage of. My daughter has two medical conditions, one of which needs serious attention and all he can do is complain that he's being made to pay too much for her upkeep. All this from a man who claims to care about his child. :blink:

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I don't know exactly how the system works in all states, but at least where I work, they handle child support at the employeer level. I think most of the people we have are those with court-imposed garnishments on their wages to make sure child support gets paid.

Do you know if it's possible in your state to get a similar thing, where his wages are garnished to pay for the child support and then he really has no hand in the matter? I'm just curious as I don't know a lot about the child support system other than at a business/payroll level.

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I truly believe that father should pay their child support as I do every month for my two kids ($1055) yet there are times when the system can be more than abit abusive in how much is required for the father to pay. For instance my ex makes more than $20,000 a year more than I do. I gave her the house with nearly $50,000 equity as well. and in her job she gets full medical, dental, optical. I get none. And it is not like I make big bucks. I pay a full one third of my take home every month in child support. So sometimes the shoe cn be on the other foot.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I am very happy for you. I have three children (i am the mother) who live with two different men.....two with the ex and one with her dad (very long story).

I have never had a problem with paying my fair share of support.....notice the word fair.

It took me six years to finally have my child support lowered on my two oldest, his iincome almost tripled while mine was halved.

Now I have a $5,000 credit on that account and the CS office doesn't want to pay it back to me. Boy what I could do with 5 grand.

Just found out with my youngest daughter they have been withholding my wages also, in addition to the two oldest, since April of last year. I am a server so my check is only $40-$50 dollars....they can keep it....but this is why I never noticed, they always took all of it.

Anyway, when I investigated, I found out with the help of a very nice judge, that since April 2006 they have been trying to withhold $222 a month (the old support order) instead of the $135 a month (the new support order which went into affect February 2006).

so as I said I have no problem with paying my fair share but a $5,000 credit on one account and an $800 credit on the other account ????????????

And meanwhile I am living in poverty, barely able to pay my rent?????????

And the Child Support office doesn't even say sorry??????

And they want to keep the money as a credit on my account??????

I have two kids, and get $125 per month TOTAL since I am the male... She has been in arrears since support was ordered last November... Her support started to come back in dribs and drabs after I turned collection over to the state, but I can't picture them ever putting her in jail. Nor am I hopeful the child support amount will ever go up.

For me, I am just happy for having my kids with me!

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Timeline
I don't know exactly how the system works in all states, but at least where I work, they handle child support at the employeer level. I think most of the people we have are those with court-imposed garnishments on their wages to make sure child support gets paid.

Situation is.. inter-state.. he is in California.. I live in Oregon..

for prior 12 years California had jurisdiction on the case... leave it to California... I never saw a thing.. . they claim I have no right to know what is happening to the case since it is handled via interstate with Oregon support enforcement.. augh..

anyhow.. every time they finally track the sob down.. and serve him with papers for garnishment. he quits his job. So as far as the employer handling the payments... he has to work long enough to get it done... or at least legally working..

Update from lawyer.. spoke to him today .. seems that the arrest was not from Oregon after all.. but . quite possibly California Arresting him based on the felony warrant that was placed on him two years ago from Oregon Grand Jury. Tomorrow he will have a hearing.. evidently could be the hearing to extradite him to Oregon to serve his sentence here.. ..

he was told Feb 06 to pay the support of serve jail.. by way of either turning himself in or waiting arrest with extradition..

sooo seems it is indeed the later.

this is what he was informed of 18 months ago when he claimed he didn't know what all this was about..the lawyer forwarded me his response.. .. so he cannot claim not being told what was happening

We received no child support payments whatever from you from August, 2003 through February, 2006. You are currently $ 79,058.70 in arrears on your child support obligation. Failure to support children is a felony in Oregon and, after hearing the evidence, the XXXXX County Grand Jury has indicted you for multiple counts of felony Criminal Nonsupport. This relates to your criminal activity in this regard over the last few years. The two payments we received this month are not relevant to the time period alleged in the indictment.

You have three options:

1. Send a cashier’s check in the amount $ 79,058.70 payable to Oregon CSP No. xxxxxxxxx to this office at the above address. Upon receipt of this check, we will move to dismiss the pending indictment, and advise California authorities of your payment.

2. If you do not bring the account current immediately, you must travel to Oregon and surrender on the warrant by reporting to the xxxxx County Jail at xxx.

3. If you do not choose one of the other options you will be arrested on the outstanding warrant whenever and wherever you may be found and held pending your extradition to Oregon.

** note that dollar amount is now changed.. this was 15 months ago figures and not including some other figures either.. like it makes any differences

I am extremely thankful to know that there are really good men out there and women that do take their responsibilities ... to all those men here on VJ... thank you.. .. men like my x- make it hard for women to really believe that the system really works..