vilamp

SSA and USCIS Issue: No updates and no timelines

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! Thank you for reading through! Appreciate any and all thoughts on this!

My situation is a little bizarre. I went through the AOS process at the end of my F1 and got my conditional permanent resident card on Dec 2021. I worked as a student on campus, so I already had a restricted SSN and just continued to work with it. I really should've gotten the unrestricted one earlier, but I ended up waiting till THIS May 2023.

When I went to the SSA, they told me that they were unable to verify my immigration status because my birthday was wrong in the USCIS system. I cross-checked all my documents and my green card and my birthday was accurate on everything. They told me it must be on the internal system for USCIS, and that they can't verify my status for the unrestricted SSN till USCIS updates it.

I asked if I needed to reach out to USCIS, but they said no. They told me that they would be connecting with the local USCIS field office and the process would update my birthday on the USCIS system and get the verification completed at the same time. They told me not to reach out before 6 weeks. They took my old SSN and I currently don't have my SSN card.

I reached out after 6 weeks, and they say that they cannot give me a timeline, "Both agencies are busy and understaffed and this could take any amount of time."

At the time of writing this, it's been close to 10 weeks since I applied. There's been no word from either agency. I am moving soon and will have to file an I865 and AR-11. I am worried that this will further hinder the process because my case won't be at this field office anymore (I have to apply for my i751 in late Sept). They told me to update my address with them when I move but that was about it. 

It just feels a little nerve wracking to leave without my SSN in hand. Not sure what to do but wait, and if there is anything I can do from my end. Any thoughts or help is highly appreciated.

when u check here : https://save.uscis.gov/save/app/client/ui/case-check what did it say ? does it say "under review" or not?

for "under review" itself, was 50 days total for me including public holiday and weekend. there's nothing u can do that i havent try yet during that period. i tried ombudsman, USCIS, multiple times calls to SSA office, congressperson and all dead end. total time for me almost 2 months until the card in hand

Edited by Verrou

Hi Verrou!

Thank you for responding. I just checked and the only thing showing on it is one case from April when I had to apply for Unemployment. That one is marked "Returned to Agency" but it seems like the SSA has not even made the request yet. :I

Not sure where to go from here. This makes it even more confusing.

I still don't understand how my birthday would be wrong in the USCIS system if all my documents are correct and I am able to log into these portals with my accurate birthday. 

Thank you again!

12 minutes ago, vilamp said:

Thank you for responding. I just checked and the only thing showing on it is one case from April when I had to apply for Unemployment. That one is marked "Returned to Agency" but it seems like the SSA has not even made the request yet. :I

I  still don't understand how my birthday would be wrong in the USCIS system if all my documents are correct and I am able to log into these portals with my accurate birthday. 

Thank you again!

go to SSA office again then, or if there's option, go to different SSA office and file again

u need to have "under review" ( at least in my case) if there's miss match and it has to be from SSA office and not DOL 

Edited by Verrou

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I wonder if the numbers were reversed, for example if your Birthday is 20th January there can be no confusion, but 5th January could be misread as 1st May.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thank you both for responding!

@Verrou I think that is what I have to do. I am moving in 3 weeks. Would it be better to apply at my new location or here again before I leave (just with a new address)?

@Boiler So what I was told about the error is that they had my husband’s birth month and my birthdate in the system as my birthday. They are entirely different than any other number on my birthday. Which is even more odd. 😅

Edited by vilamp

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
40 minutes ago, Verrou said:

just do it after you move. at least you have a number already, 3 weeks wont make a different

Came to this thread to tag you. And figured out you had changed user name, again!

I cannot keep up all your name changes. :bonk:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.