lasiyo

Sent I-129F 7 months ago, anything i can do to check the status other than USCIS?

37 posts in this topic

Me and my faincee sent our I-129F form 7 months ago in early December. We got a receipt document that they received it and we have a receipt number that we can check on USCIS but it's been 7 months and we still haven't heard back. I'm aware that the K-1 Visa is a very long process but we're both wondering if there's any way to check the actual status of it other than the USCIS site. Is there anything we can do? Anyone we can call?

u can call USCIS but they wont give u any update that u dont know about.

k-1 approval is long. i will just wait for it and focus on something else.

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/ average time 16.5 months now for california

Edited by Verrou

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 minute ago, lasiyo said:

This is simply the process time to approve the visa?

No. That ia the time to approve I-129F 

The visa is a separate process.

3 minutes ago, lasiyo said:

This is simply the process time to approve the visa?

no... just the 1st step...approval from USCIS

u still need to deal with NVC and interview at the consulate/embassy

best bet if u want to be quick, get marry, file i-130, withdraw K1, wait to be approved by USCIS, then NVC + consulate and get the visa. arrive in US as LPR instead of need to do AOS and wait wait again

Just now, Verrou said:

no... just the 1st step...approval from USCIS

u still need to deal with NVC and interview at the consulate/embassy

best bet if u want to be quick, get marry, file i-130, withdraw K1, wait to be approved by USCIS, then NVC + consulate and get the visa. arrive in US as LPR instead of need to do AOS and wait wait again

From my understanding i-130 is a bit longer and we already have 7 months with K-1... Don't think it would make sense to withdraw.

1 minute ago, lasiyo said:

From my understanding i-130 is a bit longer and we already have 7 months with K-1... Don't think it would make sense to withdraw.

i dont know where did you get the understanding. back 5-20 years ago K1 is faster that's correct. nowdays, CR1 is way "faster", when i say "faster" because it still roughly 2 years from filing the application until visa in hand

3 minutes ago, Verrou said:

i dont know where did you get the understanding. back 5-20 years ago K1 is faster that's correct. nowdays, CR1 is way "faster", when i say "faster" because it still roughly 2 years from filing the application until visa in hand

From this forum. CR1 is faster than before, but it's still about 2 years (maybe even longer). If I was to start the process from scratch, I would do CR1, but after 7 months into the K-1 process, it doesn't make sense.

Timeline
Just now, AndiB said:

is NOT faster for US entry

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/stats.php?history=90

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/irstats.php?history=90

Data does not support your assertion

Timeline
4 minutes ago, AndiB said:

VJ is obsessed with spousal visa

Data days otherwise

4 minutes ago, AndiB said:

You're right. A CR1 is faster for a greencard, it is NOT faster for US entry and certainly not if you're 7 months in. VJ is obsessed with spousal visa and literally any question you ask, someone will find a way to bring it up.

At the moment the USCIS stage is taking 12-15months for bulk of people with some a bit longer. It is speeding up slowly so you may be looking at 11-14 or such for yours. There's literally no info you can get until it's approved, denied or you're sent a request for evidence. It's complete silence and you won't be told anything until then, even if you get someone on the phone. 

It's, as others have said basically sitting on the pile waiting. 

Thanks for clarifying! I guess it's a question of waiting now... Btw, do you happen to know if I could technically move to France while we wait (assuming I have the correct visa and permissions), it shouldn't affect the K-1 process no?

3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Regardless, I'm already 7 months in. The data there points that it's a similar timeline, so it wouldn't make sense to withdraw K-1 and file for CR1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.