Model4Life

K3 Conditional Resident Permit

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
6 hours ago, Model4Life said:

Cos I am thinking the parent can file for her citizenship instead of filing removal

4 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

Yes you will need to file for ROC for the child just like the the father.

This VJ member adopted his K-2 step daughter. She did not go through RoC. Instead the father filed for her U.S. passport which was granted.

So the question remains. Did OP adopt the step child? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, Mike E said:

This VJ member adopted his K-2 step daughter. She did not go through RoC. Instead the father filed for her U.S. passport which was granted.

So the question remains. Did OP adopt the step child? 

Yes he did this as she was still a 2yr GC holder. The step mom here said they were granted custody, not adoption. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
3 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

The step mom here said they were granted custody, not adoption. 

The step mom also said she got a K-3. She did not.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Good point

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

K3 would be much more interesting

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 7/9/2023 at 12:12 AM, SalishSea said:

Please check your info and be very deliberate about your questions.   Do you mean K-1/K-2??

Sorry I meant K2. I wasn't aware I typed K3. 

Timeline
17 hours ago, Boiler said:

K3 would be much more interesting

Sorry I meant K2. Typographical error on my side. I filed a K1 and K2 for both of them. They both have conditional pr granted to them this year. She just got hers last month. He got his in February. 

17 hours ago, Mike E said:

Sorry I meant K2. Typographical error on my side. I filed a K1 and K2 for both of them. They both have conditional pr granted to them this year. She just got hers last month. He got his in February.

Timeline
20 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

Yes he did this as she was still a 2yr GC holder. The step mom here said they were granted custody, not adoption. 

1 minute ago, Model4Life said:

I can adopt her if need be. If been granted custody wouldn't cut it. 

She is forever my child regardless. We have both been in each other's lives for 5 years now. 

Edited by Model4Life

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Model4Life said:

She is forever my child regardless. We have both been in each other's lives for 5 years now. 

Have you adopted her?

Timeline
On 7/9/2023 at 12:12 AM, SalishSea said:

Please check your info and be very deliberate about your questions.   Do you mean K-1/K-2??

Yes. Sorry I meant K2. Typographical error on my side. I filed a K1 and K2 for both of them. They both have conditional pr granted to them this year. She just got hers last month. He got his in February.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Have you adopted her?

No. We just filed full custody with the court and was granted. 

I checked the adoption route prior to that but the legal fees were too much... just as the filing of their petitions which I solely eventually did myself. 

Timeline
On 7/8/2023 at 7:12 PM, Boiler said:

I haven't seen a K3 on here for 10 years, I am going to need to do some research!

Timeline
On 7/8/2023 at 9:20 PM, Ontarkie said:

Yes you will need to file for ROC for the child just like the the father. If the Father gets citizenship the child must have roc pending or already have his 10yr GC to be able to derive US citizenship when the father naturalizes. It is very unlikely the Father will get through the n400 process before the child's 2yr GC expires. You will need GC to send in with the fathers certificate to get a US passport.

Also what visa did your husband enter  on. Was it actually a K3 a spouse visa (as this is vary rare) or was it a K1 (fiancé Visas)?

He entered on K1 and she came in with k2 same day. 

Timeline
On 7/8/2023 at 9:23 PM, K1visaHopeful said:

OPs timeline is blank. As with your confusion as K3s are rare, I made the assumption that they meant K2.

Why wouldn't they need to file I751? If they received 2 yr Cards as described, they would still need to?

You were right with your assumption.  She came with K2. It was a typo 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Model4Life said:

No. We just filed full custody with the court and was granted. 

I checked the adoption route prior to that but the legal fees were too much... just as the filing of their petitions which I solely eventually did myself. 

She is now in the U.S. and the fees might be different, especially if you DIY and especially since a separate I-751 must be filed (and the fees will be hiked). 

The  link  I provided is to a thread where Dad adopted his step daughter instead of filing I-751. He did it DIY, with Dad and daughter representing themselves in court.

Adoption would save your step daughter from the trauma of I-751. I have seen too many tragedies with K-2 kids having their lives shattered by this  detestable RoC process.

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.