Pensusa

Citizenship / us passport

16 posts in this topic

Hi my daughter granted citizenship by naturalization and other one by birth in USA , they got us passport but we moved back to our original country , the oldest has now 10 years old and the other one 8 years , my question is if my husband didn’t pay taxes while he is outside USA during next caming 8 years will my daughters not be able to travel back to USA when they grow , I wish sending them to USA after high school to us university ??

Edited by Pensusa

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline

If they are already U.S. citizens, their father's failure to report or pay taxes in the United States should have no effect on their ability to enter the United States.  They are not responsible for their father's actions.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

1 hour ago, Pensusa said:

Thank u so much , that mean they can apply for their own passport after age 18 ? Not paying taxes not effect also wife of she is us citizen ? 

If the wife is a US citizen she would have to file taxes herself, or file jointly. The daughters will also have to file taxes when they are no longer the dependents (19 or 24 years of age).

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

10 hours ago, Pensusa said:

If wife isn’t working and living outside the country she should keep filling taxes to not lose his us passport ? If she didn’t fill taxes while wife is outside us she will not be allowed to renew passport and enter us another time ?

Not exactly sure what your question is. Generaly US citizens must file taxes, regardless of the country of their residence. The daughters should be fine as they are dependents. If you're delinquent with your taxes the passport renewal may be an issue: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/legal-matters/passports-and-seriously-delinquent-tax-debt.html

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

My husband is responsible of filling taxes but I don’t know if he fill jointly or separately or fill just for herself to not lose us passport and not fill taxes for me , that’s why I’m asking , I’m not working outside country and still married , I’m asking if I’ll not lose my passport if he fill separately and didn’t fill for me ?? I’m planing to apply for new passport after next caming 5 or 8 years to travel back to America I’ll be banned if he didn’t fill for me or fill separately ?? 2 - if my husband fill taxes jointly he will pay for a charges ? Because I’m not working ?? 

Edited by Pensusa

34 minutes ago, Pensusa said:

My husband is responsible of filling taxes but I don’t know if he fill jointly or separately or fill just for herself to not lose us passport and not fill taxes for me , that’s why I’m asking , I’m not working outside country and still married , I’m asking if I’ll not lose my passport if he fill separately and didn’t fill for me ?? I’m planing to apply for new passport after next caming 5 or 8 years to travel back to America I’ll be banned if he didn’t fill for me or fill separately ?? 2 - if my husband fill taxes jointly he will pay for a charges ? Because I’m not working ?? 

You need to have a conversation with your husband about your financial situation. 

Not only because you should both be filing taxes MFS or MFJ but if you are not working he will most likely be the one paying living costs in the US and for US school. 

It sounds like it is your dream for your children to go to school in the US but does your husband support this idea? 

Im living now outside USA with my kids , my husband making a project in our home country , he is a rich but I’m afraid that he didn’t pay for me taxes so I’ll not be able to visit my daughters in future , my kids aren’t in USA school but I’m planing to send them after they get high school to us university , so he is the one who pay everything outside USA but I’m asking if I’m not working will he pay high fees if he fill jointly at our original country ?

3 minutes ago, Pensusa said:

Im living now outside USA with my kids , my husband making a project in our home country , he is a rich but I’m afraid that he didn’t pay for me taxes so I’ll not be able to visit my daughters in future , my kids aren’t in USA school but I’m planing to send them after they get high school to us university , so he is the one who pay everything outside USA but I’m asking if I’m not working will he pay high fees if he fill jointly at our original country ?

Will he pay a penalty for not paying US taxes?

Once again - that is a question you have to discuss with your husband as we do not know his financial status and if he owes any taxes in the US. 

If you have your SSN and his SSN you could file your own taxes- MFS  (file even if you don't owe anything). 

But, if he is filing taxes in the US you don't want to do that. You need to have a discussion with your husband. And suggest he hire an international tax consultant that can inform him of his tax obligations in the US and in his home country.  

This group really can't help you. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Pensusa said:

That is not how passports work, at least not US passports.  If you are a US citizen, you are entitled to a US passport.  Taxes, no taxes, even criminal convictions do not affect the passport.

As a USC, you and your children can travel to the US anytime you want, now and in the future.

2 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

That is not how passports work, at least not US passports.  If you are a US citizen, you are entitled to a US passport.  Taxes, no taxes, even criminal convictions do not affect the passport.

As a USC, you and your children can travel to the US anytime you want, now and in the future.

OP is worried about this: 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/legal-matters/passports-and-seriously-delinquent-tax-debt.html

But it does say: 

"If you are overseas, you may be eligible for a limited-validity passport which can be used for direct return to the United States."

Edited by Redro

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
8 hours ago, randomstairs said:

Not exactly sure what your question is. Generaly US citizens must file taxes, regardless of the country of their residence. The daughters should be fine as they are dependents. If you're delinquent with your taxes the passport renewal may be an issue: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/legal-matters/passports-and-seriously-delinquent-tax-debt.html

Not just citizens, permanent residents too!

US entry :

GC issued :
CIS Office :

2016 (me, H-1B) / 2017 (her, H-4)

2018-06-20

Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2023-03-22

NOA Date :

Bio. Appt. Notice :

2023-03-22

2023-03-24

Bio. Appt. :

2023-04-13

Interview Notice :

Interview Date :

Oath Ceremony :

2023-05-24

2023-07-13 (approved)

TBD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.