roseberry

N-400 Interview Notice Timeline [merged threads]

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Hi. For people who received their interview notice, about how long before the scheduled interview did you receive the notice? I am seeing that for people in my area (Los Angeles) people are having their interviews about 4 months after their biometrics, but I was wondering when they are receiving the notice for the interview, because this website does not record  that. Thanks!

Edited by roseberry

Timeline

I was wondering when other people got their interview notice in relation to their biometrics or their interview. I really want to visit my sick dad who is outside the US but I'm worried about when my interview would be. I still haven't received a notice about it and the status is "case is being reviewed".

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hope you get to visit your dad soon - and that he gets better!

You'll probably want to search for timelines in your location to be sure, as processing times vary.

In Chicago under the 5-year rule (3-year rule processing is slower I hear) we get our interview notices around 6 weeks after our biometrics.

But either way

- the notice should be sent out weeks before the interview

- if you have an USCIS online account you will see the notices in your dashboard

So if you won't be in Lebanon for more than a couple of weeks, and you are in no danger of not meeting residency requirements by being away from the US too long, you should probably be able to squeeze in a quick trip home.

US entry :

GC issued :
CIS Office :

2016 (me, H-1B) / 2017 (her, H-4)

2018-06-20

Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2023-03-22

NOA Date :

Bio. Appt. Notice :

2023-03-22

2023-03-24

Bio. Appt. :

2023-04-13

Interview Notice :

Interview Date :

Oath Ceremony :

2023-05-24

2023-07-13 (approved)

TBD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

It will probably vary by location, but I got my notice (in the online system) roughly 6 weeks before the actual interview date. The paper copy didn't arrive until almost two weeks later (4 weeks before the interview) and I never got any notification from the online system that the status had changed, so it might be worthwhile logging in to check every now and then.

My biometrics were reused so no relation to the timing there. Overall for me it took 10 weeks from application to interview being scheduled (so 16 weeks to actual interview date).

Timeline

Thanks guys! Wow. Your process was fast! I submitted my app on March 11, 2023. So on July 11 it would already be 16 weeks from when I submitted. I see that someone else on Visajourney submitted their app 4 days after  I did and got their biometrics on the same exact day as I did. But they posted that they got the interview scheduled for July 24! I messaged them asking when they got their notice but they haven't responded yet.

By the way, this is my 3rd biometrics!! For my AOS they had me do it twice and now for naturalization, they had me do it a 3rd time while other people only had to do it once. I wonder if being a national of the country that I'm from has anything to do with it 😳?

I haven't gotten any phone or email notifications either for progress in my case, so I have been checking the status online almost everyday 😅

Thanks again !

56 minutes ago, roseberry said:

Thanks guys! Wow. Your process was fast! I submitted my app on March 11, 2023. So on July 11 it would already be 16 weeks from when I submitted. I see that someone else on Visajourney submitted their app 4 days after  I did and got their biometrics on the same exact day as I did. But they posted that they got the interview scheduled for July 24! I messaged them asking when they got their notice but they haven't responded yet.

By the way, this is my 3rd biometrics!! For my AOS they had me do it twice and now for naturalization, they had me do it a 3rd time while other people only had to do it once. I wonder if being a national of the country that I'm from has anything to do with it 😳?

I haven't gotten any phone or email notifications either for progress in my case, so I have been checking the status online almost everyday 😅

Thanks again !

Hey roseberry! For the timelines, are you checking the statuses of the n-400 applicants who have the same field offices as you?:) 

I haven't found seeing other people's progress for N400 to be helpful. The timelines for N400 don't make any sense to me. I've tracked other people's progresses with the same field office with very similar situations as mine, it still doesn't make sense. There are people who get results in 3 months and people waiting for years for any sort of movement on their case. There are no guarantees that because someone(s) timeline went one way that yours will go a specific way. I don't suggest making any travel plans around this. Interviews and oath taking can be rescheduled. As long as you have a valid status (and traveling with complete proof such as expired GC plus valid, original extension letter), you should be able to travel internationally, specially for urgent/ family emergencies.

TIMELINE:

May 22 2018              I-129F Filed
May 30 2018              I-129F NOA1 
Nov. 07 2018              I-129F NOA2
Nov. 21 2018              Case received by NVC

Dec. 04 2018              Case # Assigned

Dec. 11 2018              Visa Application in Transit to Manila Embassy 📭

Dec. 13 2018              Visa Application set to READY 📬

Dec. 27 2018              Interview Date US Embassy - Read Review Here

Jan. 05 2019              Visa on hand

Jan. 16 2019              US Entry (San Francisco POE) - Read Review Here

Feb. 11 2019              Marriage 👰🤵

Mar. 12 2019              AOS mailed

Mar. 14 2019              AOS delivered to USCIS Chicago

Mar. 19 2019              AOS NOA

Apr. 09 2019               Biometrics done (Status stayed as "Fingerprint fee received" for 4 months

Aug. 09 2019              Interview Ready to be Scheduled
Oct. 10 2019               EAD and AP (approved after 212 days)

Oct. 18 2019               EAD/AP Combo card received

Feb. 20 2020              GC Interview, no same day result, case in review (SF Field Office) - Read Review Here

Feb. 21 2020              (next day) Status changed to New card is being produced!

Feb. 10 2022              Mailed I-751 ROC

Feb. 11 2022              I-751 date filed

Feb. 14 2022              NOA1 (WAC)

Jul. 13 2022               NOA2- biometric appointment waived, no refund for fee collected, old biometrics will  be reused

Jul. 14 2022               Case Status: 4 "Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken"

Dec. 26 2022             Filed N-400 online, NOA and Biometrics reuse same date

Mar. 20 2023             NOA3- 48 month GC extension from date of expiration

Oct. 18 2023              Case status: I-751 ROC transferred to another office

Oct. 19 2023              Case status: "We transferred your Form I751 yo another USCIS office that now has jurisdiction over your case"

Oct. 21 2023              Case status: "New Card Is Being Produced"

Oct. 23 2023              N-400 Interview was scheduled

Oct. 24 2023              Case status: "We approved your Form I-751"

Oct. 25 2023              Case status: "Card was mailed to me"

Timeline

lvesnal  Yes, I've been checking the statuses of the n-400 applicants who have the same field offices as mine.

confusedshoes Thanks so much!! I didn't know the appointment can be rescheduled. That really helps!

Timeline

Update:

So I called them earlier today to ask how I can reschedule my interview if it gets scheduled while I'm traveling overseas, and they confirmed to me that my appointment has not been scheduled yet, consistent with the status on my online account. Later in the day, I logged in again because I needed my receipt number, and lo and behold, the status changed to "Interview Was Scheduled"!! My appointment is scheduled for August 3, which is annoying because July tickets are expensive unless I book toward the middle or end, and right now I don't feel like trying to reschedule because I finally got the date!

I feel a mixture of annoyance and excitement lol

I guess sometimes it takes an aloof phone call to remind or motivate them 😉🤷‍♀️

Edited by roseberry

6 minutes ago, roseberry said:

Update:

So I called them earlier today to ask how I can reschedule my interview if it gets scheduled while I'm traveling overseas, and they confirmed to me that my appointment has not been scheduled yet, consistent with the status on my online account. Later in the day, I logged in again because I needed my receipt number, and lo and behold, the status changed to "Interview Was Scheduled"!! My appointment is scheduled for August 3, which is annoying because July tickets are expensive unless I book toward the middle or end, and right now I don't feel like trying to reschedule because I finally got the date!

I feel a mixture of annoyance and excitement lol

I guess sometimes it takes an aloof phone call to remind or motivate them 😉🤷‍♀️

Congratulations! 🎉 so excited for you! How did you get a real person on the phone when calling USCIS?:) 

Timeline
15 hours ago, lvesnal said:

Congratulations! 🎉 so excited for you! How did you get a real person on the phone when calling USCIS?:) 

Thank you!!

I know! They've made it impossible to reach an actual agent. I looked it up on google and found that telling the automated system that you wanna "reschedule interview/appointment" prompts it to transfer you to an agent.

My notice was mailed on June 8, 2023, I did not receive it in the mail until June 16 and the Oath Ceremony was scheduled for June 22 in Los Angeles.  Fortunately for me I saw it online because I randomly decided to log into my USCIS account on June 9. I had a trip planned from June 19 to June 25, so because I saw it online it gave me enough time to cancel my flights and reschedule.

I-751 timeline:

• 12/04/2018: Mailed I-751 with divorce waiver
  • 12/19/2018: Received by USCIS
  • 5/02/2019: Biometrics appointment
  • 5/03/2019: Case updated to show Fingerprints were taken and applied to my case 
  • 1/28/2020: Received an RFE
  • 2/05/2020: Response To Request For Evidence Was Received by USCIS
  • 8/12/2020: Case received at my local office
  • 9/16/2020: Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview
  • 2/24/2021: Case scheduled for an interview
  • 4/06/2021: Interview done
  • 4/13/2022: Surprise Interview done at  my house
  • 12/08/2022: I-751 with divorce waiver APPROVED!
  • 12/21/2022: 10 yr Green Card Received.

N-400 timeline:

• 01/26/2022: Applied online and received by USCIS, Informed of Biometrics reuse
  • 06/17/2022: Interview scheduled
  • 08/04/2022: Interview done. Passed English and Civics test but no decision could be made due to my pending I-751
  • 06/08/2023: Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed
  • 06/22/2023: Oath Ceremony - FINALLY A US CITIZEN!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Positive_Vibes said:

My notice was mailed on June 8, 2023, I did not receive it in the mail until June 16 and the Oath Ceremony was scheduled for June 22 in Los Angeles.  Fortunately for me I saw it online because I randomly decided to log into my USCIS account on June 9. I had a trip planned from June 19 to June 25, so because I saw it online it gave me enough time to cancel my flights and reschedule.

Wow!! That's crazy!! I'm so glad that you saw it and I'm sorry that you had to be on the edge of your seat and cancel your trip. It's really hard to know how to plan life around immigration.

And congratulations on finally becoming a US citizen!! I can see that you've had a tumultuous journey so I am very happy for you!

• TBoneTX changed the title to N-400 Interview Notice Timeline [merged threads]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.