AhmadHamouda

Evidence of Domicile

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello :)

We received today a RFE saying that my wife (the petitioner) must submit proof of domicile. 

Her application has our physical address in Egypt, what should we submit for her?

Our plan was her to travel before me when i get an interview date but now we’re living together in Egypt. 

She used to go to USA many times and sometimes stayed there for more than 7 months

can you please help me regarding this? Thanks

March 19, 2022: Submitted I-130
April 19, 2023: I-130 Approved
April 25, 2023: NVC received file and NVC case number assigned
May 31, 2023: Submitted Documents
June 20, 2023: Case complete at NVC
?? ??, 2023: Interview Letter - WAITING.

anything to show that she has domicile in the US

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/i-864-affidavit-faqs.html

Examples of proof that a sponsor’s trip abroad is temporary and that he or she has maintained a domicile in the United States may include:

• A voting record in the United States

• Records of paying U.S. state or local taxes

• Having property in the United States

• Maintaining bank or investment accounts in the United States

• Having a permanent mailing address in the United States

• Other proof such as evidence that the sponsor is a student studying abroad or that a foreign government has authorized a temporary stay

The sponsor does not have to precede the applicant to the United States but, if he or she does not do so, he or she must arrive in the United States concurrently with the applicant.  Evidence that the sponsor has established a domicile in the United States and is either physically residing there or intends to do so before or concurrently with the applicant may include the following:

• Opening a bank account

• Transferring funds to the United States

• Making investments in the United States

• Seeking employment in the United States

• Securing a residence in the United States

• Registering children in U.S. schools

• Applying for a Social Security number

• Voting in local, State, or Federal elections
  •  

look under domicile tab

when did the last time shes in the US? and for how long?

Edited by Misscloud

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

anything to show that she has domicile in the US

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/i-864-affidavit-faqs.html

Examples of proof that a sponsor’s trip abroad is temporary and that he or she has maintained a domicile in the United States may include:

• A voting record in the United States

• Records of paying U.S. state or local taxes

• Having property in the United States

• Maintaining bank or investment accounts in the United States

• Having a permanent mailing address in the United States

• Other proof such as evidence that the sponsor is a student studying abroad or that a foreign government has authorized a temporary stay

The sponsor does not have to precede the applicant to the United States but, if he or she does not do so, he or she must arrive in the United States concurrently with the applicant.  Evidence that the sponsor has established a domicile in the United States and is either physically residing there or intends to do so before or concurrently with the applicant may include the following:

• Opening a bank account

• Transferring funds to the United States

• Making investments in the United States

• Seeking employment in the United States

• Securing a residence in the United States

• Registering children in U.S. schools

• Applying for a Social Security number

• Voting in local, State, or Federal elections
  •  

look under domicile tab

when did the last time shes in the US? and for how long?

In 2021 (3 months),2019 ( 6 months) ..etc

She will be residing in Florida with family member and she’s going to work in their medical center until i come to the U.S. 

Can she maybe open a bank account from Egypt?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

where do u plan to live when u come to the USA?

No specific state right now but most probably in Florida with her family. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You make it sound like she has visited the US a few times but grew up and lives in Egypt.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
24 minutes ago, AhmadHamouda said:

She will be residing in Florida with family member and she’s going to work in their medical center until i come to the U.S. 

She needs to submit a letter stating that in order to show intent to re-establish domicile.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
6 minutes ago, AhmadHamouda said:

No specific state right now but most probably in Florida with her family. 

she will  need to establish that before the embassy will issue the spouse visa

she can come ahead of u , get a Florida DL and send c copy to embassy

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/immigrant-visa-for-spouse.html#4

Is Residence in the U.S. Required for the U.S. Sponsor?

Yes. As a U.S. sponsor/petitioner, you must maintain your principal residence (also called domicile) in the United States, which is where you plan to live for the foreseeable future. Living in the United States is required for a U.S. sponsor to file the Affidavit of Support, with few exceptions. To learn more, review the Affidavit of Support (I-864 or I-864EZ) Instructions.

Timeline
1 hour ago, AhmadHamouda said:

We received today a RFE saying that my wife (the petitioner) must submit proof of domicile. 

Who issued this?  NVC?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

She needs to submit a letter stating that in order to show intent to re-establish domicile.

Yeah i think we will do that and also attach like a letter from the medical center she’s going to work for saying she’s going to be employed here starting August

27 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

she will  need to establish that before the embassy will issue the spouse visa

she can come ahead of u , get a Florida DL and send c copy to embassy

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/immigrant-visa-for-spouse.html#4

Is Residence in the U.S. Required for the U.S. Sponsor?

Yes. As a U.S. sponsor/petitioner, you must maintain your principal residence (also called domicile) in the United States, which is where you plan to live for the foreseeable future. Living in the United States is required for a U.S. sponsor to file the Affidavit of Support, with few exceptions. To learn more, review the Affidavit of Support (I-864 or I-864EZ) Instructions.

I think i will need to present that during the Interview right? But don’t need it now to get the DQ. 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Who issued this?  NVC?

Yeah, received this message even though all documents are approved!

Timeline
29 minutes ago, AhmadHamouda said:

Yeah, received this message even though all documents are approved!

Oh...OK.... She should take a letter to the interview along with any concrete steps she has taken to re-locate to the US. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Oh...OK.... She should take a letter to the interview along with any concrete steps she has taken to re-locate to the US. 

Yeah but i think i still have to submit any evidence of domicile, I'm not DQed yet

3 hours ago, AhmadHamouda said:

Yeah but i think i still have to submit any evidence of domicile, I'm not DQed yet

Letter detailing the concrete steps  will help to DQ. One member in this forum DQed on the basis of  letter only.

You will not be able to open account in U.S online unless your spouse has some credit history in U.S. Bank check your addresses and other history in U.S via third party before approval for online account. Otherwise you may have to travel to the branch in U.S to open an account

Edited by Leo The Great

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thinking u my live in Florida is not the same as "concrete steps to prove domcile"

you need to know where u will live

You need to read what USCIS considers is US domicie and the I 864 as u can not even have a joint sponsor 

13. PROOF OF DOMICILE: In order to petition for your relative to come to the United States, the petitioner must have an un-relinquished residence in the United States. Please see the following pages for more information on domicile.

from the above go to page 6 on the site and read 

Can a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR) petitioner who is not domiciled (residing) in the United States be a sponsor? No. The law requires a sponsor who is 1) a citizen/ national or a LPR of the United States; 2) at least 18 years of age; 3) domiciled in the United States; 4) the petitioner, and 5) meets certain income requirements. To be domiciled in the United States a sponsor must live or reside in any of the States of the United States, the District of Columbia, or any territory or possession of the United States.

If the petitioner does not have a domicile in the United States, can a joint sponsor file an I-864? No. Under the law, a joint sponsor cannot sponsor an immigrant when the petitioner does not have a domicile in the United States. The petitioner must first meet all the requirements for being a sponsor, except those related to income, before there can be a joint sponsor.

https://tr.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/91/2016/10/Instructions-for-immigrant-visa-applicants-oct-2016.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.