Catia&Sal

I'VE LOST MY GREEN CARD

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Good morning.

I have a problem, maybe it's not the biggest...

I went abroad last month, and on my way back I lost my Green Card. I only noticed it when I was at home, because I showed it together with my passport at the counter of Immigration at Newark Airport.

Assuming I've lost it on my way out from the airport, I asked the "lost and found" service, after going to the Police and signing my report, but no results.

Consequentially, a couple of days ago I filed a I-90 form for requesting a copy. It takes around 8 months to obtain a new document, and 4 months for a biometric appointment.

Considering that I should leave for Italy, and I already have a ticket to leave on July 17 and return on September 15, my question is: what to do?

It will be easy leaving to Italy in July, because I am returning to my country. But which document do I have to show when I come back?

I've been searching and searching on the USCIS website for two days, but so far no response... 

I hope you can give me an advice on the topic. Thanks in advance

Edited by Catia&Sal
error hortographic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Catia&Sal said:

Good morning.

I have a problem, maybe it's not the biggest...

I went abroad last month, and on my way back I lost my Green Card. I only noticed it when I was at home, because I showed it together with my passport at the counter of Immigration at Newark Airport.

Assuming I've lost it on my way out from the airport, I asked the "lost and found" service, after going to the Police and signing my report, but no results.

Consequentially, a couple of days ago I filed a I-90 form for requesting a copy. It takes around 8 months to obtain a new document, and 4 months for a biometric appointment.

Considering that I should leave for Italy, and I already have a ticket to leave on July 17 and return on September 15, my question is: what to do?

It will be easy leaving to Italy in July, because I am returning to my country. But which document do I have to show when I come back?

I've been searching and searching on the USCIS website for two days, but so far no response... 

I hope you can give me an advice on the topic. Thanks in advance

You have to get an InfoPass appointment to get an I-551 stamp in your passport. You might need to bring the I-90 receipt for this along with passport and other ID.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the CR-1 Process forum to General Immigration Discussion, where similar situations are often discussed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Call customer service and ask for an ADIT stamp to be mailed to your home. To be able to talk to an agent say "Infopass".

Hopefully your GC arrives before you leave, but if it doesn't -and even if you can get it sent to you if it arrives while you are traveling- DO NOT travel without the ADIT stamp.

With no GC nor ADIT stamp, you must pay 575dlls. for a boarding foil to be able to get on the plane to fly back to the US.

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Timeline

I've thought about this I-551, but was not very clear the way to obtein it, looked like the same that I had on my passport when I first entered to US after the interview. I'm afraid because not much time left, but today I'm calling the Uscis customer service. Thanks!

5 hours ago, Catia&Sal said:

I've thought about this I-551, but was not very clear the way to obtein it, looked like the same that I had on my passport when I first entered to US after the interview. I'm afraid because not much time left, but today I'm calling the Uscis customer service. Thanks!

You should be able to get an ADIT stamp send it to you before July, hopefully without having to schedule an appointment. Send updates when you can, this process is somewhat new and it's nice to know timelines for different field offices!

event.png

Current processes:

I-751 regular ROC (SRC)                                       N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 17 2023 - Received                                       Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 23, 2023 - NOA + 36 months extension     Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Apr 12, 2023 - 48 months extension letter        Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400!!!!

Completed:

I-90 for lost GC (IOE)

Sep 6, 2022 - Received

Sep 14, 2022 - Case is Being Reviewed

Feb 6, 2023 - Card is being produced !!!!!!!!!!

Feb 13, 2023 - Out for delivery/Return to sender 😠

Mar 6, 2023 - Re-mail request

Mar 9, 2023 - GC delivered!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Just to update:

last Friday (following your advices, thanks!) I called the USCIS, the lady on phone was very kind and told me in 3 days we will contact you to make an appointment. In fact, Tuesday they called on my phone and we talked about date and time for an appointment. After they sent me an email with the confirmation number, place and time, and all the details of documents to bring there. 

So I'm going to USCIS in NYC at Federal Plaza next Monday morning!

I hope everything will be fine.

Thank you for all the help and support.    

Great news! You will get a stamp in your passport valid for a year and your July plans are going to be totally fine.

event.png

Current processes:

I-751 regular ROC (SRC)                                       N-400 3 year marriage based (IOE)

Jan 17 2023 - Received                                       Jan 22, 2024 - Submitted online 

Jan 23, 2023 - NOA + 36 months extension     Jan 22, 2024 - Biometrics waived

Apr 12, 2023 - 48 months extension letter        Mar 6, 2024 - Interview scheduled for Apr 11 COMBO I-751/N-400!!!!

Completed:

I-90 for lost GC (IOE)

Sep 6, 2022 - Received

Sep 14, 2022 - Case is Being Reviewed

Feb 6, 2023 - Card is being produced !!!!!!!!!!

Feb 13, 2023 - Out for delivery/Return to sender 😠

Mar 6, 2023 - Re-mail request

Mar 9, 2023 - GC delivered!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

JUST FOR UPDATE:

Last Monday May 15th I went to Federal Plaza USCIS in NYC downton, in 15 min they put a stamp on my passport, 1 year validity.

Very fast and organized, and It allow me to leave without troubles.

Another good news is that I receveid an mail last week...I thought was the same thing, but no!

It's  about the I-90 application, I have appointment for the biometric exam  next Friday May 26.

Much faster than I imagined... USCIS website calculates about 4 months for biometrics, and 8 months for GC replacement,.

Eventually NYC offices are more efficient. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thank you for the happy update!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.