curiousimmigrant3

Marriage license from another country other than residency valid for marriage based green card?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, curiousimmigrant3 said:

So far I've seen about 3-4 cases only out of the many pages here in VJ, but I'll keep looking. 

You won't find cases here which were denied because it was a Utah online marriage. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

7 minutes ago, curiousimmigrant3 said:

Wow that's amazing, congrats! You're in the UK right? Did you do anything "special" or out of the norm for your process to be approved so fast? Or was it just out of luck? 

What kind of proof did yu submit with your paperwork to show that you had "consummated" the marriage after the ceremony-- passport stamps or something of the sort?

Ok about that, same situation as your she came to UK and also I am not a UK citizen. Regarding consummation , we were in the same room sitting next to each other when the Utah clerk officiated the wedding.  She also visited me once after submitting the I-130. And  I uploaded those boarding pass as unsolicited evidence. She had plan to visit again but it was approved. One more thing we are Muslim so we also had a religious marriage and the imam also gave us a marriage certificate. Which was also included with the evidence although it has no legal value. 
We choose Utah because she would have to get a marriage visa to come to uk. Which is waste of time and money. So she just came under visa waiver program and we got married.

people will say lots of things and I was sceptical at first but just read the actual rules and you will be fine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is a You Tube lawyer who is against them but has never explained why.

But that goes for a few other things, my guess is fear of the new coupled with can not be bothered to research it.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

14 hours ago, PaulaCJohnny said:

I don’t know where you get your information but I think is incomplete and wrong.

Are you saying about the marriage on the Brazilian Consulate or the regular one on the Comuna (Registro Civil)?

If is the one in the Comina You will need an appointment, medical exams (This can be asked depending on the judge or  Comuna, each one is different. that need to be done some weeks before get married), they asked me a bill or any proof of that I was living in the area of the Comuna, 2 witnesses and more stuff.  Buenos Aires is not Las Vegas. Do your research better before try to do something like this. 

The articles about the new law for marriages in Argentina are long gone, I won't find the links again (they were in portuguese and spanish also, so not relevant), but here's the latest I was looking into: https://fab-weddings.com/en-faqs.html

Seems like a few years back Argentina has "updated" their marriage system, making it an attractive option for a destination marriage as well as for same sex couples

18 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Married is married.  If you can marry legally in Argentina, go for it.  But, you do not get that marriage certificate translated at the US Consulate.  They don't do that.  Any competent translator can provide the translation and certify it is correct.

Those lawyers are wrong.  Many successful Utah marriage cases here.  Again, married is married, but you must provide evidence you were together during or after the online ceremony along with the certificate.  This is all clear in the I-130 instructions.

I've seen many comments from you in said posts, but again-- only saw a handful of successful stories where they did the Utah marriage and everything went smoothly. I'm literally going through the arduous page by page research, but maybe i need to refine the search to be even more specific (?). We don't wanna possibly waste time at the end so we wanna see at least a dozen of cases where it was successful with the Utah online marriage. So far I've probably seen 3-5

On another note, would you say it makes a difference whether we're together (in the same screen) during the ceremony and we submit supporting evidence of marriage being consummated-- such as photos, bank transfers, etc (we live together anyway so there are tons of proof we can show) VS being separate during the ceremony and then submitting husband's visa stamp upon entry in Brazil as well as other supporting evidence?

4 hours ago, mochon said:

Ok about that, same situation as your she came to UK and also I am not a UK citizen. Regarding consummation , we were in the same room sitting next to each other when the Utah clerk officiated the wedding.  She also visited me once after submitting the I-130. And  I uploaded those boarding pass as unsolicited evidence. She had plan to visit again but it was approved. One more thing we are Muslim so we also had a religious marriage and the imam also gave us a marriage certificate. Which was also included with the evidence although it has no legal value. 
We choose Utah because she would have to get a marriage visa to come to uk. Which is waste of time and money. So she just came under visa waiver program and we got married.

people will say lots of things and I was sceptical at first but just read the actual rules and you will be fine.

Which proof did you use to show you consummated the marriage after the online ceremony? Was it a screenshot of the zoom meeting with both of you in the same screen? Because you mentioned she visited you once AFTER submitting the I-130, and from everything I've read, in order to submit the I-130 you first need to prove that the marriage has been consummated after the online ceremony.

1 minute ago, curiousimmigrant3 said:

Which proof did you use to show you consummated the marriage after the online ceremony? Was it a screenshot of the zoom meeting with both of you in the same screen? Because you mentioned she visited you once AFTER submitting the I-130, and from everything I've read, in order to submit the I-130 you first need to prove that the marriage has been consummated after the online ceremony.

Yes. And the marriage certificate stated that we are both residing in the UK at the time of ceremony. You can give your Brazilian address as your current residence.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You do you.

Utah was just mentioned as an option 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, curiousimmigrant3 said:

I've seen many comments from you in said posts, but again-- only saw a handful of successful stories where they did the Utah marriage and everything went smoothly. I'm literally going through the arduous page by page research, but maybe i need to refine the search to be even more specific (?). We don't wanna possibly waste time at the end so we wanna see at least a dozen of cases where it was successful with the Utah online marriage. So far I've probably seen 3-5

On another note, would you say it makes a difference whether we're together (in the same screen) during the ceremony and we submit supporting evidence of marriage being consummated-- such as photos, bank transfers, etc (we live together anyway so there are tons of proof we can show) VS being separate during the ceremony and then submitting husband's visa stamp upon entry in Brazil as well as other supporting evidence?

You'll be submitting both evidence of your bona fide relationship AND evidence of consummation.  However, the primary evidence for both is passport stamps showing the US Citizen is in country with you, on or after the date of the marriage.

What you've seen and what IS, are not the same.  Your primary evidence that it works is in the I-130 instructions itself, and in the basic understanding that legal and lawful marriage, simply IS legal and lawful marriage. (In the USA, marriage is in the jurisdiction of each individual State.)  Whether the Utah County marriage "works" for US Immigration, is not even debatable.  It works.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, curiousimmigrant3 said:

I suggest you stop behaving as if direct information from individuals' personal experience is your primary source of information.  You'll see plenty of people who did it wrong (with regard to consummation).  What is to be learned from those data points, is to do it right.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.