Simplytex

Start to Finish: Almaty Interview

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Wonderful stuff!  Be sure to post an Embassy Review, if you haven't yet, and add a link there to this thread.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

@Simplytex Thank you very much for sharing, very helpful!  I requested my transfer to either Almaty or Bishkek, will provide an update for others once I hear back.  Congrats to you and your wife and even though they didn't say welcome, let me say to you both welcome to America!!!

Timeline
4 hours ago, funkypanda25 said:

Did the interviewer officer asked you any questions during the interview or were all the questions directed at your wife?

No, as I did not attend the interview with her, as per the instructions only a translator or helper (for people with disability) would be allowed into the consulate office.

On 4/24/2023 at 9:04 PM, Simplytex said:

Part 3: Medical

After getting the transfer, it took about a month to get the interview notification/scheduling. We quickly turned around and got her medical scheduled and flights booked… The IMC clinic in Almaty has two locations, and we chose to go to the more central location on Mukanova Street.

My wife and I arrived separately in Almaty on April 9th, with her medical scheduled on April 11th. Medical was pretty straightforward. 8am appointment, and we got there about 740a since my wife was anxious at first about the medical (for what reason, I’m not sure since she doesn’t have any sort of hazardous health issues.) Still, when she finished she was smiling and really enjoyed the doctor, who was a (I assume) Russian lady who spoke English well and had been to the US before as well, good bedside manner and just seemed very professional. We finished up in maybe 20 min, were told that the file would be sent electronically to the consulate, and got the address for the x-ray, which occurred at ‘SEMA Hospital’ which coincidentally was literally across the road from our Airbnb. We got there around 8:40ish, there wasn’t really a wait for the front desk or radiology/imaging room, and were done and home by 9a. So, overall no problems at all with medical.

Thank you so much for sharing all the info. It is very helpful. If you don’t mind, could you please share what kind of medical records did your wife have to bring from Russia to Almaty for the med apt? My mother will have an apt hopefully in the summer there as well but she has no record of her vaccinations. We are trying to figure out how that will all work. Thank you again for your help in advance.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ineska said:

Thank you so much for sharing all the info. It is very helpful. If you don’t mind, could you please share what kind of medical records did your wife have to bring from Russia to Almaty for the med apt? My mother will have an apt hopefully in the summer there as well but she has no record of her vaccinations. We are trying to figure out how that will all work. Thank you again for your help in advance.

My wife had an old medical card (booklet for kids), that she took to the government hospital with that card and a blank certificate (that she says she bought in just a office supply/stationery shop), and had the hospital transfer the info/stamp it. She also went to a doctor to get whatever what updated (I think Tdap, hep B, and flu.)

In a group chat, some people said they were able to go get an antibody test ahead of time to prove mmr, etc. and that should be acceptable for some things. 

17 hours ago, Simplytex said:

My wife had an old medical card (booklet for kids), that she took to the government hospital with that card and a blank certificate (that she says she bought in just a office supply/stationery shop), and had the hospital transfer the info/stamp it. She also went to a doctor to get whatever what updated (I think Tdap, hep B, and flu.)

In a group chat, some people said they were able to go get an antibody test ahead of time to prove mmr, etc. and that should be acceptable for some things. 

Thank you, Symplytex. We don’t have that old booklet any more and were wondering if she’d have to get all the shots again.
They now have electronic cards, but they are not printable and it doesnt have anything other than covid vccinations. Appreciate the antibody test tip. Thank you again! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 4/30/2023 at 2:56 PM, Ineska said:

Thank you, Symplytex. We don’t have that old booklet any more and were wondering if she’d have to get all the shots again.
They now have electronic cards, but they are not printable and it doesnt have anything other than covid vccinations. Appreciate the antibody test tip. Thank you again! 

I looked in to this for my partner as well, I found the CDC page outlining vaccine requirements.

The TL;DR (at least for a woman in her 30's) is that they can use an antibody test to verify Hepatitis B, Varicella, and the Measles-Mumps-Rubella vaccine.

The only other required ones are a TDAP booster and flu shot (which I believe are typically administered as part of the exam).

I'm not sure the current covid situation for people who are still in Russia, my partner is living in Serbia and will be required to get a non-Sputnik vaccine since they're easily available to her.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.