parami

K1 AOS: Have DS-3025 and Received RFE for I-693, Medical Documentation

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Hello VisaJourney Forum,

So we recently received a RFE for I-693, Report of Immigration Medical Examination and Vaccination Record. We did not realize we needed to submit this form along with rest of the AOS packet. We had submitted a copy of the DS-3025 provided by an authorized panel physician abroad (before the K-1 interview), which lists that most of the required vaccines were provided during the medical abroad. This medical requirement was completed in December 2021, so most of the vaccinations were provided then. We would like to know the following if anyone has been through something similar and had to submit the I-693 RFE:

• Should we retake the age-appropriate, required vaccinations in the I-693 if most of them have been completed during the December 2021 medical?
  • My partner also received a sealed Chest X-Ray DICOM files. Should we take this to the Civil Surgeon? Or does it not matter?
  • Are non-US-based COVID-19 vaccine series valid?

Seems that the vaccinations can determine costs associated with I-693. Any insight and help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

parami

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Nearly the same thing has happened with our AOS application. If you bring your DS-3025 (and any other vaccination cards you have) with you to the civil surgeon medical exam, you should not have to repeat those vaccinations. If any vaccinations were not completed abroad and they’re required now, you’ll need to get those done before the CS will sign the I-693. HepB was not a required vaccine when my husband did his medical abroad, but it is now, so we paid $110 on top of the exam fee to make sure that was complete. 
It can’t hurt to bring the chest X-Ray CD with you, but the doctor didn’t need it in our case. 
If the non-US COVID vaccines were completed per their protocol, and the doctor can read the vaccination card, they should be acceptable for I-693 purposes. 

Edited by MCOBAQ

Please indicate what you mean by "most".

You needed to complete one of every series required by your age or given an individual waiver for the exceptions. 

Is your DS3025 marked as complete?

Timeline
14 hours ago, MCOBAQ said:

Nearly the same thing has happened with our AOS application. If you bring your DS-3025 (and any other vaccination cards you have) with you to the civil surgeon medical exam, you should not have to repeat those vaccinations. If any vaccinations were not completed abroad and they’re required now, you’ll need to get those done before the CS will sign the I-693. HepB was not a required vaccine when my husband did his medical abroad, but it is now, so we paid $110 on top of the exam fee to make sure that was complete. 
It can’t hurt to bring the chest X-Ray CD with you, but the doctor didn’t need it in our case. 
If the non-US COVID vaccines were completed per their protocol, and the doctor can read the vaccination card, they should be acceptable for I-693 purposes. 

Great, thanks for sharing your experience. A follow up question: for Hepatitis B and MMR, there are more than one doses. Did your husband need to get more than one dose for the Hepatitis B vaccine to fulfill the USCIS requirement?

And if you wouldn't mind sharing, what was the general cost for the Civil Surgeon? Around our location, ~$400 seem to be the norm

Timeline
3 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Please indicate what you mean by "most".

You needed to complete one of every series required by your age or given an individual waiver for the exceptions. 

Is your DS3025 marked as complete?

Everything age appropriate except Hepatitis B, according to this website: https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/panel-physicians/vaccinations.html

The DS-3025 has a tick mark next to the Immigrant Visa or Parolee applicant completed vaccination requirements under 2. Vaccination Documentation (marked one)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, parami said:

Great, thanks for sharing your experience. A follow up question: for Hepatitis B and MMR, there are more than one doses. Did your husband need to get more than one dose for the Hepatitis B vaccine to fulfill the USCIS requirement?

And if you wouldn't mind sharing, what was the general cost for the Civil Surgeon? Around our location, ~$400 seem to be the norm

Civil Surgeon said she would sign off on the form assuming the blood work came back negative, so I believe only the first dose of the multi-dose vaccines is necessary (except COVID). For the $110 she charged, I hope he can get the remaining doses though! The exam and blood work was $480.  

19 hours ago, parami said:
  • Should we retake the age-appropriate, required vaccinations in the I-693 if most of them have been completed during the December 2021 medical?
  • My partner also received a sealed Chest X-Ray DICOM files. Should we take this to the Civil Surgeon? Or does it not matter?
  • Are non-US-based COVID-19 vaccine series valid?

All these can be determined by the Civil Surgeon.

Since you got an RFE, you have no choice but to complete the I-693 medical.

4 hours ago, parami said:

Civil Surgeon costs can vary a lot even within the same area.

We had one doctor quote for 250, but ended up going to another doctor that is more convenient for us by paying 545 = 385 (I-693 medical) +  160 (vaccine).

Best to find the Civil Surgeons in your area and call for quotes.

Common misconception K-visa applicants have is that 3.C.1 implies 3.C.2.

But 3.C.1 and 3.C.2 are separate and independent conditions.

Keep in mind that the overseas doctors that filled out the DS-3025 are not USCIS employees, and can not speak for USCIS with regards to conditions 3.C.1 or 3.C.2.

USCIS still reserves the right to enforce 3.C.2 as a separate condition with a US Civil Surgeon even if 3.C.1 is fulfilled.

I693instr.JPG.92e1be92e200e1d34b0751efc1c4e274.JPG

In our case, we received a courtesy email from our local field office notifying us that we do not have an I-693 with our AOS application.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/798091-request-for-form-i-693-courtesy-email/

Since it was an courtesy notice, and not an RFE, we could have ignored it and waited for USCIS to approve our DS-3025 or give us an I-693 RFE.

But we decided to voluntarily do the I-693 in hopes of saving some time later on.

Fortunately for us, the doctor did find a missing vaccine dose in the vaccination record, and we completed the I-693 in hopes that avoided the I-693 RFE

You can read our I-693 Civil Surgeon visit report at

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/798091-request-for-form-i-693-courtesy-email/?do=findComment&comment=10826873

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.