Mercedeslorry

Applying for the CR1 questions

5 posts in this topic

Hi there! My husband and I got married in October 2020 and are now ready to apply for the CR1 visa.  However, I have a few questions that i'm hoping someone can help me with:

1. We have not seen each other since we got married (a little more than 2 years) due to COVID and then financial reasons and wanting to save money for the CR1 process. We are meeting this summer - I am traveling to see him in Pakistan (this will be my 3rd time visiting)

2. I was told I did not need to claim my husband on my taxes since he does not live in the U.S and does not have Social Security # or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) - Is this an issue?

3. How can I prove that we have a bonafide marriage when we live in separate countries and have not been able to live together due to my job being here in the U.S (i'm a teacher) and him living in Pakistan?

4. We are wanting to apply fir the visa now but would it be better to apply together when i'm in Pakistan with him? Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

We have been together for 10 years now and married for 2 years. We have met in multiple countries (Qatar, Dubai, Nepal, Maldives, and Pakistan) and I have traveled to see him in Pakistan twice and will be doing so again this summer.

Also, we previously applied for the K1 visa in March of 2018. Our petition was approved, and my husband had his interview at the U.S embassy January 2019. The interview went well, and he was told that he was approved for the K1 visa. We then got put into administrative processing; which our lawyers informed us was a normal part of the process. We were more than 100 days under administrative processing, and I sent various emails to the U.S embassy to find out what was going on or if they needed anything else from us. In July of 2019, I sent an email to the U.S embassy and this time they responded by saying that our application was being sent back to USCIS for revocation. 

We were devastated and never got a reason for the revocation.

We are hoping to get approved this time and want to make sure we do everything in our power to make this happen.

Thank you for you time!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Did you have a question?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

26 minutes ago, Mercedeslorry said:

Hi there! My husband and I got married in October 2020 and are now ready to apply for the CR1 visa.  However, I have a few questions that i'm hoping someone can help me with:

1. We have not seen each other since we got married (a little more than 2 years) due to COVID and then financial reasons and wanting to save money for the CR1 process. We are meeting this summer - I am traveling to see him in Pakistan (this will be my 3rd time visiting)

2. I was told I did not need to claim my husband on my taxes since he does not live in the U.S and does not have Social Security # or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) - Is this an issue?

3. How can I prove that we have a bonafide marriage when we live in separate countries and have not been able to live together due to my job being here in the U.S (i'm a teacher) and him living in Pakistan?

4. We are wanting to apply fir the visa now but would it be better to apply together when i'm in Pakistan with him? Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

We have been together for 10 years now and married for 2 years. We have met in multiple countries (Qatar, Dubai, Nepal, Maldives, and Pakistan) and I have traveled to see him in Pakistan twice and will be doing so again this summer.

Also, we previously applied for the K1 visa in March of 2018. Our petition was approved, and my husband had his interview at the U.S embassy January 2019. The interview went well, and he was told that he was approved for the K1 visa. We then got put into administrative processing; which our lawyers informed us was a normal part of the process. We were more than 100 days under administrative processing, and I sent various emails to the U.S embassy to find out what was going on or if they needed anything else from us. In July of 2019, I sent an email to the U.S embassy and this time they responded by saying that our application was being sent back to USCIS for revocation. 

We were devastated and never got a reason for the revocation.

We are hoping to get approved this time and want to make sure we do everything in our power to make this happen.

Thank you for you time!

The lack of time spent together could be an issue.  However, ten years is  long time.  How much time have you spent in person together?  Has most of that ten years been online only?

Whatever the issue was for the K-1 could well come back for the CR-1.  Usually people have some idea of the reason for a revocation or denial.

What red flags do you have?  Pakistani males are often very heavily scrutinized.  

Is there a large age difference?  Religion difference?  Previous marriages?  Are you related by blood?

Your physical location at the time of filing the petition is irrelevant, since I'm assuming you'll file online.

Edited by SalishSea

26 minutes ago, Mercedeslorry said:

I was told I did not need to claim my husband on my taxes since he does not live in the U.S and does not have Social Security # or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) - Is this an issue?

Spouse is not a tax dependent, so you cannot "claim" him on your taxes.  As a married taxpayer, you either file MFS or MFJ (or HOH if you qualify).  As to which filing status you should use, that was already discussed extensively in your previous thread --

32 minutes ago, Mercedeslorry said:

How can I prove that we have a bonafide marriage when we live in separate countries and have not been able to live together due to my job being here in the U.S (i'm a teacher) and him living in Pakistan?

Already addressed in another previous thread --

34 minutes ago, Mercedeslorry said:

We are wanting to apply fir the visa now but would it be better to apply together when i'm in Pakistan with him?

Your husband may apply for a spouse visa only after your I-130 petition for him has been approved.  If you haven't filed an I-130 for him yet, I suggest doing so after collecting documentary evidence of your next trip to Pakistan.  Make sure to include as much bona fide relationship evidence as you can into your petition.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, Mercedeslorry said:

Did you file MFS or Single?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.