user292928

Sufficient evidence for CRBA [merged threads]

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
8 hours ago, Family said:

You have mined gold with the SS certified record of earnings and are not assessing the value they carry .

The employer address also gives you clues of cities mom lived in for those years. YOU have enough to file your passport application and in the meantime start the following:

1. Get copies of moms US passport records ( from the first one issued to current) https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/passport-records.html

2. FOIA a sort of entry /exit record for mom . You can edit this form letter and take out the bits that ask for correction of record..you are just asking for the records. Gives you lots of specific acronyms for systems used to track entry/exitshttps://hasbrouck.org/IDP/CBP_Privacy_Act_Request.doc

3. Likely mom files taxes for the years she worked, so here’s IRS for copies https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

4. Once you figure out what city/state mom lived in for the period she worked , get copy of her First Issued Drivers License and driver’s record. Example for California. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/customer-service/request-vehicle-or-driver-records/

5. Ask mom if she recalls any memorable events ( birth, wedding or funeral) of family/friends and see if anyone has photos or can write an affidavit. But this is fluff so don’t waste time on it.

Just to clarify one point -- your mother should make the FOIA request for her records or, at a minimum, give you written authorization for you to request her information, which may or may not work for all records.  Generally, you cannot FOIA someone else's personal records unless the person Is deceased.

• 2 months later...

I’ve been convinced to have another attempt at filing a CRBA, because previously I didn’t feel like I had sufficient evidence. My mother, a U.S. citizen, lived in the years for a total of over 5 years in the 1990s, and I know that she is able to transmit U.S. citizenship to me because I fulfil all the other eligibility requirements. The only hurdle we encounter is that acquiring documents from 30 years ago seems near impossible. Please could you guys throw as many ideas our way to provide solid evidence to the embassy to approve my CRBA application. For context, I am 18, and my mother did not go to school in the U.S., she only worked there. Am I correct in saying the IRS doesn’t have tax returns from 30 years ago, but social security earnings certification still help? And then there is the case of requesting passport records and an FOI for entry/exit records. Essentially, if you guys could clue me in as to what the consular officer is looking to see. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Her employment records from what you have mentioned seem the best bet 

At 18 if she petitioned you it would not be that long

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• TBoneTX changed the title to Sufficient evidence for CRBA [merged threads]
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A background thread has been merged with a continuation thread.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

18 hours ago, user292928 said:

Please could you guys throw as many ideas our way to provide solid evidence to the embassy to approve my CRBA application.

Have you followed the instructions from @Family about getting your mom's US records?

• 7 months later...

Hello all,

Just to provide an update as I'm considering booking the appointment to the embassy in London for next month. I did a lot of digging and I've gotten the following: an employment letter from Goldman Sachs detailing the time period when my mother was employed by the Boston office (1993-1996), W-2 records from 1999 showing she was employed by a different firm in Boston, tax forms from 1996 showing her Boston address, vaccination records from 1996 carried out in MA, and a property deed showing that she and my father bought the same house shown on the tax returns in 1992 and then sold it in 1999 . On top of this, we have the SS certified record of earnings from 1993 to 1999. We are trying to prove 7 years here, I am hoping this is enough, what do you think? 

Also, I have heard that the consular officer makes the decision at the appointment, and that your documents are returned to you at the end? So effectively, I will know what the decision is at the end of the interview after we've gone through the evidence together, and they won't keep the documents and notify me weeks later of the decision?

Edited by user292928

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Most CRBA's are fairly obvious, yes you do qualify, some you do not.

I do not think there is a set procedure, requirement for them to say yes or no then and there. I certainly have seen a response that you do not have enough here please send more.

I do not know what they keep, not sure I have seen that mentioned, or I took notice.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I made a post a while back, and I'm looking for people's opinions on whether what I have managed to accrue will be enough to demonstrate to a consular office that my mother had physical presence in the USA for 5 years. 

I did a lot of digging and I've gotten the following:

- an employment letter from Goldman Sachs detailing the time period when my mother was employed by the Boston office (1993-1996),

- W-2 records from 1999 showing she was employed in Boston,

- tax returns from 1996 showing her Boston address,

- vaccination records from 1996 carried out in a Massachusetts hospital,

- and a property deed showing that she and my father bought the same house shown on the same tax returns, in 1992 and then sold it in 1999.

- On top of this, we have the SS certified record of earnings from 1993 to 1999.

We are trying to prove 7 years here('92-'99), from the day they bought the house to the day they sold it, with tax returns,W-2s, earnings record, vaccination records and employment letters during this period to demonstrate the presence in the country. I have heard these forms of evidence are solid, but I'm curious for a second opinion, especially from those familiar with this type of interview. 

Also, I have heard that the consular officer makes the decision at the appointment, and that your documents are returned to you at the end? So effectively, I will know what the decision is at the end of the interview after we've gone through the evidence together, and they won't keep the documents and notify me weeks later of the decision?

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my queries. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Similar-themed threads are again merged.  User292928, please confine additional posts to THIS thread.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

58 minutes ago, user292928 said:

Also, I have heard that the consular officer makes the decision at the appointment, and that your documents are returned to you at the end?

Really?  I didn't think any consular decisions were made on the spot in 2023, especially with the ease of falsifying documents these days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 2:56 AM, SalishSea said:

Really?  I didn't think any consular decisions were made on the spot in 2023, especially with the ease of falsifying documents these days.

That is a good point -- but how do officers go about verifying these documents anyways, especially if they're not public record? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.