reey

IS US citizenship of parent before or after giving birth to your children?

22 posts in this topic

Hi.im a bit confused.A lawyer told me i dont qualify for N-600k form because i acquired US citizenship prior to giving birth?

Anyone who can help me with this?

They are telling me to use CRBA instead yet i dont qualify as i wasnt physicaly present in the usa before giving birth hence the reason for opting for form N600k.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

How did you aquire your citizenship @Mike E

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

50 minutes ago, reey said:

Hi.im a bit confused.A lawyer told me i dont qualify for N-600k form because i acquired US citizenship prior to giving birth?

Anyone who can help me with this?

They are telling me to use CRBA instead yet i dont qualify as i wasnt physicaly present in the usa before giving birth hence the reason for opting for form N600k.

Are you trying to acquire citizenship for your children? Have you ever lived in the US? Are you a man or a woman? Are you married to the other parent? Are they a US citizen or a citizen of another country? Where are you now? In the US or another country? 

we need more information… 

Edited by ROK2USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, ROK2USA said:

Are you trying to acquire citizenship for your children? Have you ever lived in the US? Are you a man or a woman? Are you married to the other parent? Are they a US citizen or a citizen of another country? Where are you now? In the US or another country? 

we need more information… 

And:

1. Were you born before 1983, in 1983, or after 1983?

2. Are you younger than 18?

3. Have you ever had a green card?

Timeline
12 minutes ago, reey said:

Got my citizenship thru crba coz my dad lived in the usa

14 minutes ago, reey said:

I ve not lived in the US

4 hours ago, reey said:

They are telling me to use CRBA

Because you never lived in the U.S., CRBA for your children will not work. That is unless your father was a member of the U.S. military while you were a minor:

4 hours ago, reey said:

A lawyer told me i dont qualify for N-600k form because i acquired US citizenship prior to giving birth?

Assuming your mother was not a U.S. citizen, this means you became a U.S. citizen because your father had 5 years of physical presence in the U.S. So his physical presence can be used for N-600K for your children. 

20 minutes ago, reey said:

My kids all younger than 18

How old is the oldest?

Timeline
10 minutes ago, reey said:

Eldest is yrs

How many years?

So does it matter if acquired citizenship before or after having my kids to apply for n600k?

I am confused.

How old were you when you think you acquired U.S. citizenship?

Also my dad legaly changed his name but i dont have that letter its lost?

What do i do.

Did he change his name before

or after you are born?

My dad is not alive

My condolences. Legally he is not required to be alive.

Do you plan to move to the U.S.?

I was 27 yrs old when i got US citizen after a series of DNA since my dad delayed to file crba for me.

Im not planning to live in the usa.i work abroad and my kids go to school here.

He changed his name b4 i was born.So i dont have some of his old documents.

Even his birth cert n passport show different names

Timeline
1 hour ago, reey said:

I was 27 yrs old when i got US citizen after a series of DNA since my dad delayed to file crba for me.

You were a US citizen from the day you were born. 

1 hour ago, reey said:

Im not planning to live in the usa.i work abroad and my kids go to school here.

OK. 

1 hour ago, reey said:

He changed his name b4 i was born.So i dont have some of his old documents.

Even his birth cert n passport show different names

Did you need those documents to get your U.S. passport?

1 hour ago, reey said:

eldest is 7 yrs

Good. You have plenty of time to complete their process before they reach age 18

No i didnt need those documents to get my passport.Just dna with family members to proove relationship since my dad was already deceased.

Thank you all please pray for me.my only concern is if they deny me b2 visa to travel with my kids.

I dont know if its safe to start with 1 child and see how it goes since the process is also expensive?

Edited by reey

Timeline

Start with the oldest and see what happens.

5 hours ago, reey said:

Thank you all please pray for me.my only concern is if they deny me b2 visa to travel with my kids.

For  children, the top reasons for denying B-2 is failure to over come presumption of immigration intent:

* failure to overcome a belief they will overstay: they are coming to attend their oath of  citizenship interview. U.S. citizens by definition cannot over stay

* failure to overcome a belief they will  file I-485 to adjust status to an LPR. That process is more expensive than N-600K.

The only way I see B-2 being denied is if the consulate believes they will stay in the U.S. after they take oath of citizenship. Given the history of your family. I do not see why they think that.

BTW, your children will have no path to pass U.S. citizenship to your grand children unless

* they or you accrue 5 years physical presence. So carefully document all their days and your days in the U.S. And I mean each day. A selfie with every daily receipt ideally in front of a US landmark, and thus 5 * 365 = 1825 photos when they day comes for your grandchildren. In addition to air tickets. Or,

* they marry  U.S. citizens before having children. Then it is easy: one day of physical presence and residence required for just one parent 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.