Crabbypatty

Adjustment of status timing question (Merged x6)

79 posts in this topic

Hey again, 

so another question regarding Timing of sending out the adjustment of status form (from esta). My husband and I are still missing a shared utility bill that will get to us by the end of the month to show shared assets. We have me on the house lease and as a beneficiary on my husbands bank account. Now if we want to wait for the utility bill to get here it will be just 6 days before our tile is running out to file the forms ( end of the 90 days) . If we send it out priority we should be fine but I’m still nervous cause it seems last minute. What date does uscis count? When the forms get there or the day it was send out? Cause then I don’t trust the mail always to get there quick so I’m wondering if the date of sending it out would be before the 90 days and therefore we would be fine anyways. 

thanks in advance! 

16 minutes ago, Crabbypatty said:

Hey again, 

so another question regarding Timing of sending out the adjustment of status form (from esta). My husband and I are still missing a shared utility bill that will get to us by the end of the month to show shared assets. We have me on the house lease and as a beneficiary on my husbands bank account. Now if we want to wait for the utility bill to get here it will be just 6 days before our tile is running out to file the forms ( end of the 90 days) . If we send it out priority we should be fine but I’m still nervous cause it seems last minute. What date does uscis count? When the forms get there or the day it was send out? Cause then I don’t trust the mail always to get there quick so I’m wondering if the date of sending it out would be before the 90 days and therefore we would be fine anyways. 

thanks in advance! 

Send what you have.  Whatever you have as extra can be saved if you get an RFE for additional documentation, if you have an interview for AOS, or you can just save it for ROC.

It seems you have enough initial evidence for AOS, so risking a late submission is far worse than just submitting what you have without a couple of utility bills.

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

utility bill is not a big deal, i never sent any utilities because we have none. go ahead and send it asap

if u have other joint comingling, u can use it. eg. credit card as authorize user, boarding pass for vacation if any, etc

Edited by Misscloud

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Crabbypatty said:

Hey again, 

thanks in advance! 

I certainly would not delay filing due to lack of a utility bill.  File with what you have, then continue to collect evidence for the interview.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

17 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

utility bill is not a big deal, i never sent any utilities because we have none. go ahead and send it asap

if u have other joint comingling, u can use it. eg. credit card as authorize user, boarding pass for vacation if any, etc

Ok got it. We plan on sending that I’m on the lease and that I have access to his bank account ( shared account but I think I can’t be on there as a user cause I don’t have an ssn yet so it would just be me having acces to it ) would that be enough? 

1 minute ago, Crazy Cat said:

I certainly would not delay filing due to lack of a utility bill.  File with what you have, then continue to collect evidence for the interview.

Thanks! 

18 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

@Crabbypatty the rule of thumb is any evidence that has both of ur name is solid. if just access but not a authorize user, move along and find other evidence. its understandable if u dont have SSN yet, dont worry about it much

Yeah that’s the thing without ssn it’s super hard to get on stuff here in the US  :( we would also have my name on his health insurance. Maybe that could be evidence too? 

Edited by Crabbypatty

10 minutes ago, Crabbypatty said:

Ok great. Thank you. If you guys have any other ideas of what would be good evidence too, it would be greatly appreciated 🥰

You can check threads for AOS, people often describe what they send in detail.

Also here is a list you can use too.

15 minutes ago, OldUser said:

You can check threads for AOS, people often describe what they send in detail.

Also here is a list you can use too.

I Just saw on this list that it might be difficult to get approval if the petitioner ever filed for a Spouse in the past. My husband was married before and petitioned for his ex wife many years ago. You guys have any experience with a case like that or anybody ever got denied because of that fact? I didn’t know this could be a problem, I mean it wouldn’t have changed anything anyways because we obviously love each other and would have gotten married anyways, but of course I would be interested in any experience regarding that

19 minutes ago, Crabbypatty said:

I Just saw on this list that it might be difficult to get approval if the petitioner ever filed for a Spouse in the past. My husband was married before and petitioned for his ex wife many years ago.

Ignore it, this shouldn't be a problem. It's good that you're aware of it. Sometimes, US spouse doesn't share this info with beneficiary and this is a red flag if asked at AOS interview.

Also, this may be a problem if occurred recently or too many times.

Your spouse may need to be ready to explain very clearly and concisely if asked about prior marriage during interview. Also, need to mention it on relevant forms.

Edited by OldUser

5 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Ignore it, this shouldn't be a problem. It's good that you're aware of it. Sometimes, US spouse doesn't share this info with beneficiary and this is a red flag if asked at AOS interview.

Also, this may be a problem if occurred recently or too many times.

Your spouse may need to be ready to explain very clearly and concisely if asked about prior marriage during interview. Also, need to mention it on relevant forms.

Ok, good to know. We stated it on the relevant forms when it was asked. Thank you! 

2 hours ago, Crabbypatty said:

Yeah that’s the thing without ssn it’s super hard to get on stuff here in the US  :( we would also have my name on his health insurance. Maybe that could be evidence too? 

So I checked out the list and went trough it with my husband. Anything that we could gather that would have my name on it would require me to have an ssn. We just got note from his health insurance that I can’t even be on there because I can’t provide a social security number. At the bank they told us I can only be a beneficiary of his account, nothing more. Because I don’t have the ssn. So at this point I’m kinda stuck regarding gathering evidence that had my name. What I am on and what we do have is dental insurance ( not overall health insurance), and I’m on the lease for the apartment. So what we do have all in all is this: 

-dental insurance 

-lease for apartment 

-wedding pictures 

- wedding band receipt 

-many pictures of family events and gatherings 

-text messages 

I know it’s not a lot in terms of evidence with my actual name on it, but there’s not much I can do without a ssn. 

do you guys think this would be good enough to send out the papers? Obviously we want to avoid getting an RFE

Thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.