Boundless_damsel

N400 taking over 1 year

52 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Boundless_damsel said:

Interesting idea. Have you filed a mandamus yourself? If yes, what was your experience like?

Yes i have filed. 30 days for AUSA to respond to mandamus. 90 day adjudication settlement time given by AUSA.  

duh

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 4/16/2023 at 1:20 AM, Boundless_damsel said:

There are plenty of other limitations and opportunities foregone (but I will caveat that by saying that this depends on your objectives in this country and what you are trying to accomplish).

So what limitations do you see as GC holder?

Same location and timeline here! I'm more frustrated by waiting 2 years for the i-751. Limitations are needing a visa to go anywhere and experiencing a lot of scrutiny of green card extension letter.

3 hours ago, Robbernosky said:

Same location and timeline here! I'm more frustrated by waiting 2 years for the i-751. Limitations are needing a visa to go anywhere and experiencing a lot of scrutiny of green card extension letter.

My running joke about the inefficiency of the system is that you can possibly have several children by the time they deign to judge your marriage bona fide with i751 :) True story--a friend of mine submitted i751 application when her first baby was 3 months old. She still has not been approved and by now she already has her second child (who is older than what her first baby was when she sent in the app). I guess the "threshold" to prove the legitimacy of marriage is quite high...

Timeline
3 hours ago, Boundless_damsel said:

Tax-related, job prospects, educational opportunities, family reunification (for the most part), political participation--that's quite a bit, no?

Can you explain on the taxes? 

Unless you want a job in government then you don’t need to be a USC.

You can be denied education if you are not USC?

GC let’s you travel.

You can participate in politics but can’t vote.

On 4/13/2023 at 6:24 PM, Allaboutwaiting said:

Writ of mandamus if you're willing to pay 5k+.

Or keep waiting.

P.S.: We filed for ROC on April 2021 and still waiting. 

you can file mandamus on your own. naturalization is a simple case.. it only costs 402$ as court fee. it can be done with some studying of immigration law.

duh

7 hours ago, Visitor User said:

Unless you want a job in government then you don’t need to be a USC.

You can be denied education if you are not USC?

GC let’s you travel.

You can participate in politics but can’t vote.

yup--there is a difference between gift, inheritance (and some, not all) real estate related taxes. The bottom line is that tax law is not as advantageous for green card holders in these domains. And yes, certain educational scholarships are reserved only for citizens. Government has more jobs than you'd imagine--the public sector, broadly defined, is quite big. GC allows you to travel freely back to the US and a few nearby countries, but that's nowhere near what a citizenship can give you. And politics, there are limitations to which elected offices you can hold. Hope this clarifies it a bit!

21 hours ago, Visitor User said:

The single biggest one (for me) is estate/gift tax.

As it stands right now and it's not going away - US citizens or LPRs can give/bequeath US citizen spouses any amount with ZERO

taxes.

The same is not true if the spouse is a foreigner or an LPR.

Timeline
On 4/25/2023 at 10:30 PM, Boundless_damsel said:

yup--there is a difference between gift, inheritance (and some, not all) real estate related taxes. The bottom line is that tax law is not as advantageous for green card holders in these domains. And yes, certain educational scholarships are reserved only for citizens. Government has more jobs than you'd imagine--the public sector, broadly defined, is quite big. GC allows you to travel freely back to the US and a few nearby countries, but that's nowhere near what a citizenship can give you. And politics, there are limitations to which elected offices you can hold. Hope this clarifies it a bit!

I am not getting a gift/inheritance so that is a non issue for me. Anything else? It does not even effect the W-2/1099 workers. I am not seeking any scholarship so I am good there. I am also not seeking a gov't job. I also am not looking to travel any soon to a country that I would be denied to in near future. The stuff you mentioned are not very common.

Edited by Visitor User

Timeline
On 4/26/2023 at 12:29 PM, manyfudge said:

As it stands right now and it's not going away - US citizens or LPRs can give/bequeath US citizen spouses any amount with ZERO

taxes.

True but how common is that for a GC holder? That is a non issue for me.

On 4/26/2023 at 1:29 PM, manyfudge said:

taxes.

that's exactly right--I think people are not realizing that gifting can be interpreted very liberally (i.e. you don't need to receive a full-blown inheritance for that to be counted as a gift. )

On 4/27/2023 at 8:28 PM, Visitor User said:

True but how common is that for a GC holder? That is a non issue for me.

I mean, I have not surveyed all the LPRs to make a claim that it's irrelevant for most people, so I cannot answer your question with certainty. But if that's not an issue for you personally--great! One less thing to worry about!

2 hours ago, Boundless_damsel said:

I mean, I have not surveyed all the LPRs to make a claim that it's irrelevant for most people, so I cannot answer your question with certainty. But if that's not an issue for you personally--great! One less thing to worry about!

It’s actually quite complicated and not about inheritance as you have pointed out.

My spouse and I were LPRs when we  purchased our 1st property.  If I had not contributed an equal amount, then the there would be annual

gift tax implications as we owned the property jointly.

Timeline
8 hours ago, Boundless_damsel said:

I think most would just be happy to be able to work and drive. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.