Ellen R

Help with B2 for BF

8 posts in this topic

I am an American citizen who has been living and working in China for 6 years and living with my Chinese BF for 2 years.  We would like to travel to the USA to visit my family together and during the same trip to attend a work related conference for him.  A few questions I have:

Would it be helpful to have travel plans, (plane tickets, conference prepaid, hotels, etc) beforehand?  Some of the costs are high so not sure we would be expected to have these before approval?

My current work visa ends before our expected trip.  I generally get a new visa a week or two before it expires.  Will the fact that my visa will not be renewed until after his interview raise any issues?

I know that bringing documents are generally not helpful but just in case they will look at any, what would be most helpful?

He is an independent contractor doing consulting work in China, will the fact that he does not have a tie to one specific company be a potential issue?

Does the fact that he will be traveling with me help or hurt the application given that I have been living and working in China?

The application asks who will be paying for the trip.  Does it matter if it is him, me or both of us?  We could do it any way.  Will be asked to show proof of who is paying?

Anyone care to weigh in what the possibility is that he will be successful?

Thanks for any input.

3 hours ago, Ellen R said:

Would it be helpful to have travel plans, (plane tickets, conference prepaid, hotels, etc) beforehand?  Some of the costs are high so not sure we would be expected to have these before approval?

No. In fact, it is advised that the applicant should not purchase any tickets that can not be refunded before the interview. He may make reservations but there is no need to show that you made trip arrangements. What is more imoprtant is him showing strong ties to his country.

My current work visa ends before our expected trip.  I generally get a new visa a week or two before it expires.  Will the fact that my visa will not be renewed until after his interview raise any issues?

His B2 application will have nothing to do with you. No point in even thinking about this.

I know that bringing documents are generally not helpful but just in case they will look at any, what would be most helpful?

He should still bring supporting documents of his strong ties with him. Even if they don't ask for them he should be fully prepared.

He is an independent contractor doing consulting work in China, will the fact that he does not have a tie to one specific company be a potential issue?

Should not be an issue. As long as he has continuous work in house country..

Does the fact that he will be traveling with me help or hurt the application given that I have been living and working in China?

Once again, his application has nothing to do with you. He is applying on his own merits.

The application asks who will be paying for the trip.  Does it matter if it is him, me or both of us?  We could do it any way.  Will be asked to show proof of who is paying?

It is better if he can show that he can fund this trip himself. And he should definitely provide financial evidence on him being capable of doing so. The less other people are involved with his application the better. Remember, he is applying under his own merit. With that said, he can certainly have someone else helping or funding the trip. It will not be as strong a case as if he was doing it himself, but it will also not be deal breaker. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Would it be helpful to have travel plans, (plane tickets, conference prepaid, hotels, etc) beforehand?

I would NOT pre-pay anything.  He should be prepared to show strong ties to China, although the CO won't be obligated to look at his other documentation.  I'm sure you know that all potential visitors are already assumed to have immigrant intent.  Having a US GF does not help.  .  Good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
8 hours ago, Ellen R said:

As others have said, the fact he has a girlfriend who is a US citizen will be considered in the officer's judgment that he may decide to stay in the US, marry you, and adjust status, which is fraud.  This will be the biggest challenge that he will have to overcome.  He also needs to be completely honest on the DS-160 and in the interview about the purpose of his proposed trip--to travel with you and visit your family in the US.  If he is not forthcoming about that intent, it could cause problems at CBP or later if he gets a B2 visa, so definitely do not risk that. 

Thank you.  I was told that not only would his ties to China be important (I am concerned about his independent contractor status) but also my ties to China as well since we are traveling together to the USA.  If that is the case, I am hoping the fact that I have been living and working there for almost 7 years now, have a lease, etc. would show that I have strong enough ties that I am not looking to bring him to the USA or change status once we get there to see my family and attend a conference.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Ellen R said:

Thank you.  I was told that not only would his ties to China be important (I am concerned about his independent contractor status) but also my ties to China as well since we are traveling together to the USA.  If that is the case, I am hoping the fact that I have been living and working there for almost 7 years now, have a lease, etc. would show that I have strong enough ties that I am not looking to bring him to the USA or change status once we get there to see my family and attend a conference.

Your ties to China are irrelevant.  His application will be considered based on his I-160. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

22 hours ago, Ellen R said:

I was told that not only would his ties to China be important (I am concerned about his independent contractor status) but also my ties to China as well since we are traveling together to the USA.

Possibly.  Depends on the interviewing officer.  But in most cases, the information on the DS-160 form is all they need to make a decision.  Anyway, only $160 to find out for sure.

I know of a case in the Philippines where a female applicant got a B2 visa after 2 denials, while having a USC bf.  On her 3rd attempt, she finally got a CO who agreed to read the letter from her bf, describing his strong ties to the PH.  The 1st 2 COs didn't care, but she got lucky (after much begging) with the 3rd CO.  Also, her bf was a retiree with permanent residence in the PH.  Much stronger ties than you have in China.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.