Jump to content

Marriage deduction? (Merged 2x)


63 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
On 6/5/2023 at 10:45 AM, Afghanguy said:

i am looking at her passport and id its already in french and english translation no need for translation..its already showing english on it...


can you please recap what i send with the application..


1. my 2022 taxes?    1040x  to amend the 2022 taxes

2. her passport and national ID photo

3. marriage certificate?


thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
23 hours ago, Afghanguy said:

Hello to all.


I am a US citizen married last year. My CR1 is in process currently at TSC. I filed my taxes last year and was hoping to get the marriage deduction but lady at HR block filed me as a married filing separate and said cant get deduction unless she is here in US or has an ITIN #. So here I am trying to apply for one now for this year possibly I can amend last years maybe?


My question is on the W7 - do I put all her information on that form or mine? eg name., address etc? What documents should I mail in with the application? I have done my research on IRS website but am confused thus posting here so hope you guys dont tell me go check IRS website :)


What documents do I need to send for her ? I have her passport page and national ID...Do I send my last year taxes as well?


Thank you and hope someone who has went thru this can answer


Seems like this has been asked and answered, both here and on the IRS website. If you are still unclear about what to submit, why not just call the IRS directly?





Who can I call for help?

You can call the IRS toll-free at 800-829-1040 if you are in the United States or 267-941-1000 (not a toll-free number) if you are outside the United States. This service allows you to check the status of your application seven weeks after submitting Form W-7 and your tax return.


Also, it appears like you are looking for reassurance rather than instructions because instructions have been given multiple times in this thread. It's probably helpful to hire an experienced CPA or Enrolled Agent to walk you through this year's 1040/W-7 and amending 2022. Do not go back to H&R Block. It's worth paying the extra money for more professional advice.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree, it seems OP would benefit from professional in-person help from a CPA rather than more posts from internet strangers who may or may not be qualified to give tax advice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...