Afghanguy

Marriage deduction? (Merged 2x)

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
On 6/5/2023 at 10:45 AM, Afghanguy said:

i am looking at her passport and id its already in french and english translation no need for translation..its already showing english on it...

can you please recap what i send with the application..

1. my 2022 taxes?    1040x  to amend the 2022 taxes

2. her passport and national ID photo

3. marriage certificate?

thank you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
23 hours ago, Afghanguy said:

Hello to all.

I am a US citizen married last year. My CR1 is in process currently at TSC. I filed my taxes last year and was hoping to get the marriage deduction but lady at HR block filed me as a married filing separate and said cant get deduction unless she is here in US or has an ITIN #. So here I am trying to apply for one now for this year possibly I can amend last years maybe?

My question is on the W7 - do I put all her information on that form or mine? eg name., address etc? What documents should I mail in with the application? I have done my research on IRS website but am confused thus posting here so hope you guys dont tell me go check IRS website :)

What documents do I need to send for her ? I have her passport page and national ID...Do I send my last year taxes as well?

Thank you and hope someone who has went thru this can answer

Seems like this has been asked and answered, both here and on the IRS website. If you are still unclear about what to submit, why not just call the IRS directly?

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-i-apply-for-an-itin

Who can I call for help?

You can call the IRS toll-free at 800-829-1040 if you are in the United States or 267-941-1000 (not a toll-free number) if you are outside the United States. This service allows you to check the status of your application seven weeks after submitting Form W-7 and your tax return.

Also, it appears like you are looking for reassurance rather than instructions because instructions have been given multiple times in this thread. It's probably helpful to hire an experienced CPA or Enrolled Agent to walk you through this year's 1040/W-7 and amending 2022. Do not go back to H&R Block. It's worth paying the extra money for more professional advice.

I agree, it seems OP would benefit from professional in-person help from a CPA rather than more posts from internet strangers who may or may not be qualified to give tax advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.