Afghanguy

Marriage deduction? (Merged 2x)

63 posts in this topic

Salam all,

I got married last year and I am getting ready to file my taxes. Someone previously told me if I remember correctly that I can get a deduction for this year taxes if I got married last year...

If correct can someone more expert shed light on this..I also talked with a tax guy and he said you will need. TIN # or something which I believe is a social security...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

or apply for ITIN with form w7 and do MFJ,  MFS or head of household (if u qualify)

but your time to apply is limited to next Monday and the nonresident alien is the one who is suppose to be filled out by your morcoccan spouse

u can fill out taxes and leave the SS space for her blank  but online sites don't let u do this so paper file

allah yessir

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the CR-1 Process forum to the Tax & Finances forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

44 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

or apply for ITIN with form w7 and do MFJ,  MFS or head of household (if u qualify)

but your time to apply is limited to next Monday and the nonresident alien is the one who is suppose to be filled out by your morcoccan spouse

u can fill out taxes and leave the SS space for her blank  but online sites don't let u do this so paper file

allah yessir

hi jeanine/

i got married dec 31 i have my marriage certificate. u mentioned do itin but that takes long time...her case is in process...what are the other option so that i can get the deduction? thank you

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Afghanguy said:

hi jeanine/

i got married dec 31 i have my marriage certificate. u mentioned do itin but that takes long time...her case is in process...what are the other option so that i can get the deduction? thank you

paper file and leave the SS # part blank 

make sure u keep a copy of this and your W2 for the interview 

many have filed leaving the spouse SS # spot blank but online sites like turbo tax don't let u bypass this section 

there is a place to put Morocco as her country at present

3 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

many have filed leaving the spouse SS # spot blank but online sites like turbo tax don't let u bypass this section 

will i stil get a deduction if i do this?

Timeline
Just now, Afghanguy said:

will i stil get a deduction if i do this?

yes

when married by the end of 2022 take the  $25,900 for joint

best to u on this visa petition

and if u did not do a timeline on profile if u didn't make it yet

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Afghanguy said:

i was having turbo tax do it and he is saying they are not licenced to do it...he said i have to do it with a CPA...if i do CPA will i get the deduction eventhough she is not here in USA?

u don't need CPA,   do your own paper taxes

its not that hard unless u own a business or are self employed 

just follow the steps 

or go to H&R Block  or the desk in place like Walmart

Edited by JeanneAdil

1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

yes

when married by the end of 2022 take the  $25,900 for joint

best to u on this visa petition

and if u did not do a timeline on profile if u didn't make it yet

thanks for responding...so its best if i go to HR block or something and do it....turbo tax guy said u cant get deduction because she is not in USA

Just now, JeanneAdil said:

u don't need CPA,   do your own paper taxes

its not that hard unless u own a business or are self employed 

just follow the steps 

i am self employed

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Afghanguy said:

thanks for responding...so its best if i go to HR block or something and do it....turbo tax guy said u cant get deduction because she is not in USA

i am self employed

then do schedule C and add that bottom line income as yours  on  1040 

How do I fill out a Schedule C for self-employed?

Steps To Completing Schedule C
  1. Step 1: Gather Information.
  2. Step 2: Calculate Gross Profit and Income.
  3. Step 3: Include Your Business Expenses.
  4. Step 4: Include Other Expenses and Information.
  5. Step 5: Calculate Your Net Income.
  6. If You Have a Business Loss.

37 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

i just spoke with a CPA and he said you wont get the deduction even if you leave SS blank because she is not in USA...she has to be here min 6 months ...

Timeline

Since this is new to you I would suggest using an actual CPA or tax preparer. Use them to learn how to do it right while following along with an online guide. Consider these resources.

Without knowing all your information it's hard to give a thorough response. That why a CPA or tax prep software would help you at this stage. Later on you can do it on your own if you're comfortable. For instance here's a TurboTax thread that discusses your questions and follow-up questions. Such as, are you both considered Tax residents in the US? You but not the spouse? Vice versa? None at all? How to fill out the form without an ITIN, Etc.

Depending on your income you may be able toused a software guide to file your Federal taxes for free using IRS Free File.

Edited by A Polite Parrot

Timeline
1 minute ago, Afghanguy said:

i just spoke with a CPA and he said you wont get the deduction even if you leave SS blank because she is not in USA...she has to be here min 6 months ...

she does not have to be here 6 months

i filed for Adil in 2010 and all the years after till he came in 2015 

but i did ITIN  (its worth it as you loose thousands if u don't )   and it will be about 2 years before she comes so we are talking 12,900 +12,900 =12,900

theres a big difference between  $12,950 for filers, $25,900 for joint

and you have to file as married as u are married at end of 2022 so its MFJ or MFS 

IRS instructions for non resident alien spouse

don't use that CPA as they don't know the business

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-spouse

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.