7 posts in this topic

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone could help us understand what the next steps are after filing the petition through the consular? The I-130 was approved on the spot after the interview and I was told to wait 12 weeks. We just don’t know what to do next. What paper work should we be getting together? Is my husband able to do the medical exam now or do we have to wait until we are contacted? Also, can he start getting his police report now as well? 

Edited by Wibblewobblewow

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Wibblewobblewow said:

My question is more along the lines of do you know what paper work we need to get together for my husbands interview?  

You need to ask that of the embassy.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why do they want you to wait 12 weeks.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

13 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Why do they want you to wait 12 weeks.

I'm not sure why we have to wait 12 weeks, I did DCF under exceptional circumstances. When we had the interview in London, the agent informed me that I should be contacted after 12 weeks to book my husband’s interview. 

It's going to be 12 weeks soon so just wanted to know, what sort of documents will be required for his interview so we can start preparing and getting things together. 

Also, wanted to know if it'll be OK to go ahead and do the police report in advance as I heard it may a while to complete? 

• 1 month later...

Hi there, I am also planning to file DCF. If you look on the embassy website I remember seeing a document checklist. Here is one I found but not sure how accurate it is: https://citizenpath.com/form-i-130-checklist-for-spouses/

I have also read somewhere that you need to prove 'intent to domicile' aka intent to live in the US permanently. This could be your US drivers license, apartment lease, voter registration, US bank statement all showing that you have a footprint in the US.

Also people usually provide US tax records, showing that you have filed taxes or FBAR while you were living in the UK.

My partner and I are getting married in August, then going to apply. I would love to keep in contact and hear how it goes for you as it seems like a confusing process and I will probably have questions too!  Good luck :) 

Edited by JRoo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.