KennethBk

Traveling with extension letter

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hey everyone, I would be traveling to Jamaica with my expired green card and extension letter with spirit airline. Has anyone had any issues boarding with the 2 year green card extension letter?

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

People have successfully boarded and people have been denied.

In our case, 100 percent success, but it took hours of arguing each time

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Really? Which airline and airport, to avoid them at all costs.

SFO, Jet Blue

TUS, AA and UA

San Pedro Cruise Port, Royal Caribbean 

Just go through the aforementioned thread. You will see several other examples (including actual failures) and not just those three airlines.

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
6 hours ago, Mike E said:

People have successfully boarded and people have been denied.

In our case, 100 percent success, but it took hours of arguing each time

Thank you, you would think they all know the document by now. I called Spirit and they said the only issue would be TSA but that does not make any sense. At this point , I don’t even have any option than actually trying.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Assuming you are from Nigeria, the Jamaican immigration website says that you will need a visa. https://www.pica.gov.jm/immigration/entry-visa-requirements
The best way to figure out whether you need a visa or not is to email the Jamaican embassy with a copy of all your travel documents (passport, expired green card and extension notice) and see what their response is. If they say, you do not need a visa, then print out that email and take it with you to the airport and show it to the airline if they try to deny you boarding. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, rohsha said:

Assuming you are from Nigeria, the Jamaican immigration website says that you will need a visa. https://www.pica.gov.jm/immigration/entry-visa-requirements
The best way to figure out whether you need a visa or not is to email the Jamaican embassy with a copy of all your travel documents (passport, expired green card and extension notice) and see what their response is. If they say, you do not need a visa, then print out that email and take it with you to the airport and show it to the airline if they try to deny you boarding. 

I got this from the Jamaican embassy website It Should be noted that that applicants who possess a valid United States Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), regardless of nationality do not require a visa to visit Jamaica, if travel is being done directly between the USA and Jamaica.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, rohsha said:

Also, U.S.A. Citizens and Green Card Holders, EU nationals, and Canadian Citizens do not require a visa to Jamaica. Valid passport with six months remaining validity is required.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
Just now, KennethBk said:

I got this from the Jamaican embassy website It Should be noted that that applicants who possess a valid United States Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), regardless of nationality do not require a visa to visit Jamaica, if travel is being done directly between the USA and Jamaica.

Right, but the green card is expired. The website doesn’t mention anything about an extension notice. As somebody who’s been denied boarding at the gate because of the green card plus extension notice combo, I’ve become extra careful with all requirements(not traveling to Jamaica, but Mexico)

8 hours ago, rohsha said:

Right, but the green card is expired. The website doesn’t mention anything about an extension notice. As somebody who’s been denied boarding at the gate because of the green card plus extension notice combo, I’ve become extra careful with all requirements(not traveling to Jamaica, but Mexico)

However, since it has been extended it remains valid.  

21 hours ago, KennethBk said:

Thank you, you would think they all know the document by now. I called Spirit and they said the only issue would be TSA but that does not make any sense. At this point , I don’t even have any option than actually trying.

If you are still hesitant, you can ask USCIS for an I-94/I-551 to be mailed to you. 

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

If you are still hesitant, you can ask USCIS for an I-94/I-551 to be mailed to you. 

OP is using Spirit Airlines

Timeline

I found this information on the Jamaican embassy website:

U.S. Residents

Nationals or citizens of other countries (with the exception of TAIWAN) who are permanent residents of the United States may enter Jamaica as tourists without visas, but must travel with the following in their possession:

• A passport or travel document, valid for the duration of stay in Jamaica;
  • Alien Registration Cards (Green Cards) or
  • Valid United States re-entry permits (if applicable)
  • Round-trip tickets to the USA or onward tickets to another destination

The extension letter should fall under valid United States re-entry permits.

1 hour ago, KennethBk said:

The extension letter should fall under valid United States re-entry permits.

No, re-entry permit is obtained by filing I-131.

Extension letter is obtained by filing I-90, I-751 or N-400.

Extension letter and re-entry permit are different documents. Extension letters do not have your photo on them, they're letter size. 

Edited by OldUser

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.